Boomer's Last Word on the 2006 Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Last Word on the 2006 Draft

Boomer said:
Personally I don't want someone who's almost 6 foot 6 clogging up my passing lanes. Certainly it could happen, but for me it's not ideal.
Yea, 6' 5" 1/2 is pretty tall for a guard...but, then again little Drew Brees had two 6' 5 RG's and still able to be productive.

Toledo at 340 lbs would be nice to run behind as an athletic pulling guard that can get to the next level.

Thanks!

You just answered damn near every question I had about the new gang in one post. Much appreciated. :)

Very informative write-up, probably more so than anything I've read off the major sites.

Like you, I had already started changing my opinion on Hagan based on his body of work as a whole. The Senior Bowl kind of turned me off on him, but after some research I'm pretty confident that his poor week was an aberration. I didn't know he was such a hard working guy; that information just makes me even more excited about him.

I differ with you a bit on Toledo, if only because I am more inclined to trust Saban. If, like you say, drafting Toledo is an indication that Alabi is a failed project, then isn't it a good thing that he's willing to cut his losses now rather than pull a Wanny? I actually take Saban at his word and assume that he simply likes his potential; even though the tackle position was not a need, it was probably too hard for him to pass up that talent. Sort of the BPA vs. need argument. If we are stockpiled at tackle, I think that's probably a good thing.

All and all excellent analysis.

MelbournePhin said:
hey boom, what does next years DE crop look like?

Well Gaines Adams of Clemson is a very good player who at 252 might end up like Merriman and Ware and Manny Lawson and Wimbley. He has a bag of rush moves. Quentin Moses of Georgia is another hybrid guy, Adam Carricker is a fine pure DE, Victor Abiamiri is better than Justin Tuck, Dan Bazuin is a small schooler who bears watching, Lawrence Jackson leads the underclassmen, Tommy Blake and Jarvis Moss are good rush ends and DeMario Pressley at NC State could be anything he wants to be.

that was a really nice read...thanks, cuz i didnt know much at all about any of our picks so thanks

RonnieB23 said:
Boomer, were you suprised that we didn't take any Qb for a second straight year. ( if you don't count Duante)

No mate. The two day 1 QB's we liked - Whitehurst and Croyle - were very unlikely after getting Daunte and we got the day 2 guy we liked.

Remember, Harrington will be coming in as well and Cleo Lemon is there to compete.

nick1 said:
thanks, what do you think is our solution at OLB? should we start Spragan or Hodge? or is their a undrafted guy out there who could possibly help out

Spragan.

Boomer said:
Well Gaines Adams of Clemson is a very good player who at 252 might end up like Merriman and Ware and Manny Lawson and Wimbley. He has a bag of rush moves. Quentin Moses of Georgia is another hybrid guy, Adam Carricker is a fine pure DE, Victor Abiamiri is better than Justin Tuck, Dan Bazuin is a small schooler who bears watching, Lawrence Jackson leads the underclassmen, Tommy Blake and Jarvis Moss are good rush ends and DeMario Pressley at NC State could be anything he wants to be.

thanks bro!

Btw, for us noobs. How does Boomer have so much insight into the Dolphins draft strategy?

Great original post Boomer! I would quote it but it would take a page in itself!

Great post, Boomer. Fantastic read.

I agree with most of what you said. I really wanted Parys Harralson as a situational pass rusher, but Toledo does have an amazing frame. I tend to agree with your assessment of Alabi that picking Toledo does not bode well for Alabi. I wanted Harralson because outside edge rusher from an OLB/DE hybrid position is something we need badly. I shudder to think what happens if JT gets hurt.

I do disagree with the Hagan and Plaxico comparison. I don't see that at all. Plax is 6'5 and a one trick pony. Hagan is a better route runner and more steady; Plax is more of a big play guy.

Thanks again Boomer!

ralexand said:
Btw, for us noobs. How does Boomer have so much insight into the Dolphins draft strategy?

Study the draft, common sense, understand how Saban works and research.

Nice post Boom, thanks for the information.

It appears that we didn't address the OLB position in the draft, are we going to go with what we have or should we expect to see another FA signing?

Backup QB some posturing from Detroit on Joey, did we have an offer on the table to make the deal happen this wknd? When will he be a dolphin in your opinion.

As far as the offseason is concerned what kind of grade would you give the dolphin orgainzation for moves from Jan to present?

Finally any areas of concern right now from a position standpoint as you see it on this team right now?

Boomer said:
When you don't have the picks, you don't mortgage the future. Look at the succesful teams - Pittsburgh, Philly, Indy, New England - they ALWAYS have more picks than 7 because they manipulate the draft board and move up WHEN THEY NEED TO. But it takes time to build that. Saban is doing that. Finally we are now in a position where the last vestiges of the Wannstedt administration are off this team.

I for one applaud Saban letting the board come to him when he didn't have the picks to move up for the guys he wanted. In the future that will happen. But 2006 was too soon to start re-mortgaging future picks.
Plus, if Saban had traded away some future picks, Finheaven's servers would have exploded from trying to handle all the indignant posts from irate members.

Back
Top Bottom