Boomer's Last Word on the 2006 Draft | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Last Word on the 2006 Draft

you can't go around calling Roth a bust. he hardly played last season. he has great intensity that you have got to love. he will be a nice addition. and how is Alabi a bust? he was a 5th round project at tackle. he will end up being a good starter over time

phinking said:
Very good post Boom, I can't give Saban an A however unless Culpepper plays the whole season. I don't care what a player did in the past with another team. That 2nd round pick could have been used to get Eric Winston who was a steal for Houston. I think just like Harrington, Culpepper would have been cut by Minnesota and I can tell you living here in Florida, the Dolphins are all Culpepper ever talks about playing for, we would have gotten him without forking over a 2nd round pick. As for Toledo, give me a break. He's a sack of injuries like you said and although we had 3 starters out of last year's draft, you made a good point on Alabi; he looks like a bust and quite frankly so does Matt Roth. Is there anyone who thinks we got value back for a second round pick we got from K.C. for Patrick Surtain? If so please explain.

Who's to know what Minnesota would have done. Giving up a 2nd round pick - OC Ryan Cook - for an All Pro QB was a tremendous deal. Absolutely tremendous. As for signing Winston, we have enough right tackles.

The upside on Toledo is high and I'm happy to let him try and prove me wrong. And you certainly can't call Roth a bust. He had a solid year in the rotation and has been wroking hard to get up around 280. He's a solid rotational DE.

1 year isn't the time to be referring to ANYONE as a bust. Pat Surtain was at the optimum trade value for his age. It enabled us to blood a rookie corner in Travis Daniels who now has a very valuable year in the system. Saban would probably have had to cut both this off-season because of cap issues and we would have had to play Daniels from scratch. Instead, we got rid of Pat and Travis got a year of experience, playing opposite Sam.

Great point about Daniels. One of the things I liked about getting M. Wright in the supplemental was that he got that year in the system and some game reps. He's now much more valuable to the team than a 5th in this draft would've been.

phinking said:
Very good post Boom, I can't give Saban an A however unless Culpepper plays the whole season. I don't care what a player did in the past with another team. That 2nd round pick could have been used to get Eric Winston who was a steal for Houston. I think just like Harrington, Culpepper would have been cut by Minnesota and I can tell you living here in Florida, the Dolphins are all Culpepper ever talks about playing for, we would have gotten him without forking over a 2nd round pick. As for Toledo, give me a break. He's a sack of injuries like you said and although we had 3 starters out of last year's draft, you made a good point on Alabi; he looks like a bust and quite frankly so does Matt Roth. Is there anyone who thinks we got value back for a second round pick we got from K.C. for Patrick Surtain? If so please explain.

I seriously doubt Minnesota was cutting Daunte Culpepper, Harrington is a different situation.

You may not care what Culpepper has done in the past, but he is a proven pro bowler and one of the most accurate passers to ever play in this league.

Minnesota would never have given him up for nothing.

phinking said:

So you would rather have Eric Winston than Culpperper? What? The same overated OT I watch for 3 years in a Cane uniform? Winston was drafted were I had him along. For a guy that big he was never as powerful as he fram esuggested..Even if DC don't play this year, the risk was still better than anyone for a 2nd Rd pick..

Boomer said:
I'm not sure what you're point is or even if you have a point, suffice to say I owe no-one an apology for that post and I stand by every word.

Sportscentre jockeys who know only what they hear on TV have no business posting about players that they have never heard of. Unless a guy comes from 'the U' or played in the National Title game, then 90% haven't got a clue. They just relentlessly bash someone not because of what they know about him, but because they don't know. The two reactions are 'he's awesome' or 'he sucks'. I've never read such nonsense. If someone has studied Freddie Evans, understands the process that the Dolphins undertook in signing him, then hell, criticise away. But if you can find me 5 posters on this board who watched Evans play then I'll be amazed. But you could find 555 who thought they had by the reactions yesterday.

Look at the stats on Hagan that you have had the deceny to quote. I note that contextually and for the purposes of trying to denegrate me, you chose not to post the things I was responding to, but hey.

Like I said, I have no idea what your point is. But I'm sure you'll keep happily dining out on the information I provide year on year.

:rolleyes2

I know what you mean. I'm not a big college football fan, so I haven't seen most of the guys in the draft. As soon as the pick came in, I checked the guy's profile on NFL.COM (I kept their draft tracker up all weekend) then Google'd the player. I figure Nick has a reason for his picks, like everything else, so I want to discover what it is. A little research is not hard to do these days. It's a pain to scroll through a bunch of "WTF???"'s on the board to read a thoughtful comment.
One poster unwittingly hit the nail on the head when he started a critical post with "Maybe Nick knows something I don't, but...". Shoulda stopped right there. Saban is where he is precisely because he knows a lot of somethings we don't. I'll start griping if in 5 years the team is in the same shape as Wanny left it.

One thing, though, Boom. Spelling it "Sportscentre" is just too classy for an American board, I'm afraid. We go to theatERs & such here in the colonies. :wink:

Amazingly I can actually claim to have seen him on the field as a left tackle. He moves well, but his technique and footwork are poor. He gets out to the second level and understands the fundamentals, despite not achieving them. He seems to think too much about what he’s supposed to be doing, which is understandable. The basic tools are there, but with 5 games and 2 quarters worth of experience on the offensive line, there is a huge task ahead. Every year Saban chucks Hudson Houck a bone. Joe Toledo is this year’s bone. I just hope it’s a bone he doesn’t break.

Listening to the draft on Fox sports radio I heard Chris Landry (former NFL personnel man)say that Toledo has excellent athleticism and lateral movement and that "in a few years this guy can be a probowler" I thought that was awful high praise for this guy eventhough I must admit to not having seen him play. with all the mixed opinions on this guy he seems to be a boom or bust player.

Hey boomer I was wondering about the kid Mitchell from Missiouri taken last year what kind of pro do you think he will be and does he have a chance to contribute this season?

Boomer,

In hindsight, how do you feel about the Dolphins passing up Cromartie to take Allen?

phinking said:

Disagree totally on Culpepper and you are alittle premature on Roth. Coach Saban said last season that Roth has to get in the weight room and get stronger before he can be an everyday DE in the 3/4. if he doesn't show vast improvement this season I will start to agree with you.

brparkway said:
I know what you mean. I'm not a big college football fan, so I haven't seen most of the guys in the draft. As soon as the pick came in, I checked the guy's profile on NFL.COM (I kept their draft tracker up all weekend) then Google'd the player. I figure Nick has a reason for his picks, like everything else, so I want to discover what it is. A little research is not hard to do these days. It's a pain to scroll through a bunch of "WTF???"'s on the board to read a thoughtful comment.
One poster unwittingly hit the nail on the head when he started a critical post with "Maybe Nick knows something I don't, but...". Shoulda stopped right there. Saban is where he is precisely because he knows a lot of somethings we don't. I'll start griping if in 5 years the team is in the same shape as Wanny left it.

One thing, though, Boom. Spelling it "Sportscentre" is just too classy for an American board, I'm afraid. We go to theatERs & such here in the colonies. :wink:

Great points mate. Like anyone here knows better than Saban, Randy Mueller, Mike Baugh, Ron Labadie, Chris Grier, Bill Baker, Adam Engroff, Jack Glowik, Anthony Hunt, Roger Pollard, Ellis Rainsberger, Johnathon Stigall and Scott Kuhn.

Sorry about the Sports Center thing :wink:

phinking said:
Very good post Boom, I can't give Saban an A however unless Culpepper plays the whole season.
What if Culpepper plays only part of the season, but helps them to go deep into the playoffs? Or doesn't play at all this season, but does the same next year? What if he's simply a better player for the Dolphins than whoever they would have picked up with that draft choice anyway?
phinking said:
I think just like Harrington, Culpepper would have been cut by Minnesota
Maybe, but I just don't see that happening. Unlike the Lions with Harrington, I don't believe the Vikings owe Culpepper a roster bonus, so the Vikes (or any team they traded him to) would have a bit more leverage with him if he refused to play.
phinking said:
he looks like a bust and quite frankly so does Matt Roth.
This is another point you could be right on, but I think you're being a little quick to judge Roth with as little playing time as he had last year.

prolific said:
Amazingly I can actually claim to have seen him on the field as a left tackle. He moves well, but his technique and footwork are poor. He gets out to the second level and understands the fundamentals, despite not achieving them. He seems to think too much about what he’s supposed to be doing, which is understandable. The basic tools are there, but with 5 games and 2 quarters worth of experience on the offensive line, there is a huge task ahead. Every year Saban chucks Hudson Houck a bone. Joe Toledo is this year’s bone. I just hope it’s a bone he doesn’t break.

Listening to the draft on Fox sports radio I heard Chris Landry (former NFL personnel man)say that Toledo has excellent athleticism and lateral movement and that "in a few years this guy can be a probowler" I thought that was awful high praise for this guy eventhough I must admit to not having seen him play. with all the mixed opinions on this guy he seems to be a boom or bust player.

Hey boomer I was wondering about the kid Mitchell from Missiouri taken last year what kind of pro do you think he will be and does he have a chance to contribute this season?

He needs to stay healthy. That has to be a huge concern.

Shirdonya is hard to evaluate and will be hard to do so this year because he's coming off the ACL. He has very little experience at corner - he was a WR till his junior season - but he was one of the key free agents last year and Nick went after him very hard. Typically he came off a great recommendation from a friend of Saban's, Gary Pinkel, who played with Coach at college and he ha a solid senior year that probably put him in the 5th round were it not for the torn ACL and LCL at his Pro Day. He's a flier - runs under 4.30 - but he's raw.

jim1 said:
Boomer,

In hindsight, how do you feel about the Dolphins passing up Cromartie to take Allen?

Only time will tell mate. Antonio's upside is greater, but Jason is much more ready to play. Antonio essentially wouldn't have played much for us this year and the injury and the fact that there are only 4 corners in the league at 6-2 or over, makes you think that Jason, especially if he goes to FS, will work out just dandy for us.

Boomer, at this point did the players from last year's draft produce like you thought they would? (Brown, Roth, Crowder, Daniels, Alabi, Vickerson, Wright)

nick1 said:
Boomer, at this point did the players from last year's draft produce like you thought they would? (Brown, Roth, Crowder, Daniels, Alabi, Vickerson, Wright)

Brown performed pretty much to type. It would have been nice to see him healthy the whole year, but he found out what the league was all about, it took him a while to grasp the pace of the game and the patience needed, as well as how the big guys up front worked, but he showed real flashes. I think he'll have an NFL body on him this year, in terms of muscle and I'll be pretty surprised if he runs for less than 1300+ yards. I also expect him to catch as many as 40 balls out of the backfield. I absolutely think we'll see the development of Brown into one of the NFL's elite runners in 2006/7.

A lot of people are down on Matt Roth and I'm not sure why? I think people maybe expected him to come in and rip off 10 sacks. What he did was work very well into the rotation. Unless your name is Jason Taylor, then you're going to be rotating in and out and keeping the line fresh. He played solidly against the run and he's apparently up into the very strong 280 region. I expect him to train on and continue to show rotational ability at the DE position.

Crowder played very well. He showed maturity, the fact that he was making the calls when Zach was hurt shows how much the coaching staff trust him and whilst at times he played a little out of control and overran someplays, he showed real flashes of why he was such a bargain in round 3. If he stays healthy, then he's going to be a heck of a player, who can man all three spots.

Daniels was another solid player. He had a leg up because he knew the scheme but I was really impressed with him. When he was beaten, it was by half a yard. He was never torched. His coverage was tight and he was probably the strongest tackler in the secondary. I'd like to see him turn and locate the ball more when it's in the air, but that will come with time. I'm not sure how much better he'll get but he has the ability to slide inside or stay out at corner.

Alabi's year, as we thought was a right-off. Essentially it was a valuable year in the weight room with Bert Hill and in the film room with Hudson Houck. Whether that bears fruit, only time will tell.

Vickerson seemed to impress some of the vets before he got banged up. At MSU he sort of lost his way after Saban left. Again, he faces a battle with Rod Wright, Evans and Steve Fifita.

Manny Wright has big time potential in my eyes. He's soft and he needs riding but the natural ability is there for all to see. I don't think we'll see the best of him maybe till 2007/8, but I think he has all the tools to be a very good player for Nick Saban.

Back
Top Bottom