Boomer's Last Word on the 2006 Draft | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Last Word on the 2006 Draft

Boomer said:
A lot of people are down on Matt Roth and I'm not sure why? I think people maybe expected him to come in and rip off 10 sacks. What he did was work very well into the rotation. Unless your name is Jason Taylor, then you're going to be rotating in and out and keeping the line fresh. He played solidly against the run and he's apparently up into the very strong 280 region. I expect him to train on and continue to show rotational ability at the DE position.
Speaking of the rotation, how much potential do you think a DL based on the Dolphins' young players (MWright\RWright\Vickerson\Roth\Evans) spiced up with a wily vet or so (Carter\Taylor\perhaps even Zgonnia) has? While I don't think any of the youngsters project to be blue-chippers\All-Pro types, they all look (at least to my homer eyes) like solid red-chippers and constant rotation would keep them fresh throughout the game and that's a lot of beef an OL would have to stem the tide against for a full 60 minutes.

EBMisfit said:
Speaking of the rotation, how much potential do you think a DL based on the Dolphins' young players (MWright\RWright\Vickerson\Roth\Evans) spiced up with a wily vet or so (Carter\Taylor\perhaps even Zgonnia) has? While I don't think any of the youngsters project to be blue-chippers\All-Pro types, they all look (at least to my homer eyes) like solid red-chippers and constant rotation would keep them fresh throughout the game and that's a lot of beef an OL would have to stem the tide against for a full 60 minutes.

I'm sure Nick might carry 10 defensive linemen. Kevin Carter, Jason Taylor, Matt Roth, Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor, David Bowens, Manny Wright, Jeff Zgonina and then two from Fred Evans, Josh Shaw, Orrin Thompson, Rodrique (depending on injury status), and Howard Green. It maybe that Gary Walker comes in if the young DT's don't work out.

Boomer, do you think Saban's draft style will change once all the players he once recruited to LSU have moved on to the NFL or whereever? I know a lot of his picks over the past two years have revolved around previous recruitment of players so how do you think he'll adapt to this?

Long time reader, first time poster by the way. Go Dolphins!

Boomer, I am concerned Miami didn't sign a rush backer..

A guy like Taylor or Bowens. I have reviewed all the rookie free agents and those with the potential in that role have been signed, such as Brandon Guillory, who was signed by Kansas City. These players are who I am aware we signed so far:

McNeil C Mississippi State
Fifita NT Utah
Trent Bray LB Oregon State
Gerald Riggs Jr. RB Tenn.
Stefon Wheeler OT Michigan State
Justin Holland QB Colorado State
Eric Kimble WR/KR Eastern Washington
Sam McGrew LB Florida State

These are the players I am aware of, but I am sure there will be a few more with only 6 picks. There are a few guys I want your opinion on that may be out there:

Ben Ishola DE Indiana
Matthew Rice DE Penn St.
Michael Brown DE Howard
Shawn Mayne DE Conn.
Paul Walkenhorst DE/LB BYU
Justin Parrish DE/LB Kent St.
J.J. Milan DE/LB Nevada
Justin Wyatt CB USC
Eric Bassey CB Oklahoma

There isn't much else out there that I am aware of. Are you aware of any other signees?

Lee2000

insom187 said:
Boomer, do you think Saban's draft style will change once all the players he once recruited to LSU have moved on to the NFL or whereever? I know a lot of his picks over the past two years have revolved around previous recruitment of players so how do you think he'll adapt to this?

Long time reader, first time poster by the way. Go Dolphins!

Well, by the very nature of the fact that he'll be dealing with kids he's never met, kids whose homes he's never recruted in, etc. then yes that aspect will change. What won't change is Nick's remarkable cache of contacts within coaching staff's around the college game who will doubtless give him the leg up over over teams, as well as Boosters and general contacts. And he strikes me as someone who will take a keen eye to the recruiting wars, moreso than most.

Boomer, I understand media control, but it was easier...

for me to find out who was not coming to Miami than it was to find out who Miami signed, and this is the case every year. I like Riggs and Fifita, but I have to wonder why Miami is not more aggressive with signing rookie free agents like teams such as Minnesota, Kansas City, and Jacksonville?

Lee2000

Boomer said:
He needs to stay healthy. That has to be a huge concern.

Shirdonya is hard to evaluate and will be hard to do so this year because he's coming off the ACL. He has very little experience at corner - he was a WR till his junior season - but he was one of the key free agents last year and Nick went after him very hard. Typically he came off a great recommendation from a friend of Saban's, Gary Pinkel, who played with Coach at college and he ha a solid senior year that probably put him in the 5th round were it not for the torn ACL and LCL at his Pro Day. He's a flier - runs under 4.30 - but he's raw.

Thanks Boomer you hard work is definately appreciated.

So far most of the UDFA's Saban has signed have Saban connection either from LSU, MSU, or HS recruiting.

Boomer said:
Only time will tell mate. Antonio's upside is greater, but Jason is much more ready to play. Antonio essentially wouldn't have played much for us this year and the injury and the fact that there are only 4 corners in the league at 6-2 or over, makes you think that Jason, especially if he goes to FS, will work out just dandy for us.

Boomer thanks for your efforts....Where did you get the data that only 4 cb's in the league are 6'2" or taller? Did you mean starting cb's or all cb's on NFL rosters? A quick search at NFL.com shows many more than this....

Appears such...

NorFlaFin said:
So far most of the UDFA's Saban has signed have Saban connection either from LSU, MSU, or HS recruiting.
is somewhat true.
Fifita: ?
Riggs: SEC connection
Holland: ?
McNeil: SEC
Wheeler: Mich. St. connection
Kimble: ?
Bray: LSU played Oregon State
McGrew: state connection?

Some are. I am still puzzled that a DE/Lb has not been signed to develop into a pass rusher, espeically givne Caper's influence? There probably is a guy out there Miami has signed that we are not aware of, and will find out more about like Fifita and Kimble.

Lee2000

WaxOn WaxOff said:
Boomer thanks for your efforts....Where did you get the data that only 4 cb's in the league are 6'2" or taller? Did you mean starting cb's or all cb's on NFL rosters? A quick search at NFL.com shows many more than this....

Sorry, I meant starting corners.

Lee2000 said:
for me to find out who was not coming to Miami than it was to find out who Miami signed, and this is the case every year. I like Riggs and Fifita, but I have to wonder why Miami is not more aggressive with signing rookie free agents like teams such as Minnesota, Kansas City, and Jacksonville?

Lee2000

Nick likes to keep a lid on what's happening. We'll find out in a few days the full list.

Boomer said:
I'm sure Nick might carry 10 defensive linemen. Kevin Carter, Jason Taylor, Matt Roth, Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor, David Bowens, Manny Wright, Jeff Zgonina and then two from Fred Evans, Josh Shaw, Orrin Thompson, Rodrique (depending on injury status), and Howard Green. It maybe that Gary Walker comes in if the young DT's don't work out.
I notice that Vickerson didn't make either list- am I correct in assuming that this was merely an oversight? With all the positive comments he garnered from other players, I would think he would have a good chance to make the team if he's gotten himself healthy.
And where, if at all, do you see Fafita (I keep on wanting to call him "Fajita" for some reason- my mind must be on food, I guess) in the mix?

EBMisfit said:
I notice that Vickerson didn't make either list- am I correct in assuming that this was merely an oversight? With all the positive comments he garnered from other players, I would think he would have a good chance to make the team if he's gotten himself healthy.
And where, if at all, do you see Fafita (I keep on wanting to call him "Fajita" for some reason- my mind must be on food, I guess) in the mix?

Sorry - Vickerson was indeed an oversight. Steve Fajita has a chance as pure NT and as the back up to Traylor.

RE: Boomer

Dude, the work you put into your post is most impressive. I certainly look forward to reading more of your great stuff!

Keep up the hard work!

Thanks, it's really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom