Boomer's Mock Draft is Up | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Mock Draft is Up

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Jackson has even been talked about as a possible choice for Detroit at #6 so its not out of the question that the Pats feel they have to move up to get him. Talent rankings tend to be pretty sticky. Thats why I don't subscribe to the QB slide theory with Rivers. If teams really have Jackson rated as a top 15 kinda guy, the Pats have to think he might not slide to pick #21.

I'm just not sold that Belichick will be drafting a RB in round 1. We've heard that before in previous years. If they could get by the last three seasons with Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk while winning the super bowl 2 of the 3 years, then they can get by with Kevin Faulk and Mike Cloud...and some other rookie they draft in either the 2nd, 3rd, or maybe even 4th round. The real kick in the head would be when/if Belichick drafts Maurice Clarett in like the 4th or 5th round. If there's one team situation Clarett could step into and learn what it means to be a teammate and contributor rather than an individual, its the Patriots.

Is'nt it funny how things worked out for Kevin Faulk?
I mean both Kevin Faulk and Cecil Collins came out of the same draft but one has 2 Superbowl rings while the other has a girlfriend by the name of Ben Dover.:D

Originally posted by 4THand10
I just wonder what L.Allens salary is.

$8.06M. The cap hit to trade him or cut on/after June 1 is $2M this year and 6.06M next year. For that reason I dont think hes going anywhere.

The only thing I didnt like about the mock is that on draft day OL usually rise up a lot of teams boards while wr's tend to fall. i dont doubt that the big 4 will go in rd 1 but guys like woods, evans etc will probably end up in round 2 in my opinion.

Nicely done. Personally, I tend to think that guys like Wilfolk and Starks will rise on draft day, rather than fall but thats just me.

Originally posted by Boik14
The only thing I didnt like about the mock is that on draft day OL usually rise up a lot of teams boards while wr's tend to fall. i dont doubt that the big 4 will go in rd 1 but guys like woods, evans etc will probably end up in round 2 in my opinion.

Yup but the draft class this year is pathetic. I'll bet we see a guard go in round 1 which is rare. Any other year and Andrews woulda slipped to round 2.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Yup but the draft class this year is pathetic. I'll bet we see a guard go in round 1 which is rare. Any other year and Andrews woulda slipped to round 2.

What I don't understand is that Andrews was considered a top 10 pick right after the season was over then he gets polyps sinus problems and he drops to bottom of 1st??

OT Mike Williams was the #5 overall pick by Buffalo in 2002 draft. The guy was 375 pounds when drafted.

Whats the difference between Mike Williams and Shawn Andrews??

Last edited by a moderator:
$8.06M. The cap hit to trade him or cut on/after June 1 is $2M this year and 6.06M next year. For that reason I dont think hes going anywhere.

You're thinking of the remaining portion of his signing bonus. His actual base salary is $3.5 million. He's got a lot of money, what seems to be the problem now is we're not sure he wants to continue playing football. If he just retires, he has to give back some of the signing bonus he received in 2002 I believe (which would be the $8.06 million you're talking about). Instead he's not showing up to the voluntary programs, generally butting heads with Bill Parcells, and forcing Parcells to cut or trade him in that way. I once thought Allen would be a great idea to have him play here after June 1st but if he gets cut June 1st I am starting to think he will retire. The desire isnt there anymore even though the talent is.

As for Boomers mock draft its excellent of course, as we've come to expect from Boomer. I do have one criticism though and its something that I've seen as a common thread in a lot of what Boomer has written or said in the past few months starting with when we first started flirting with signing Damion McIntosh.

Boomer got real excited about the McIntosh idea. Yeah we all got excited about him. I did too...thought he'd make the perfect RT I mean his strengths are in-line run blocking and his weaknesses are he can't handle top-end passrushers. He's got an injury history but thats ok doesn't mean he's an injury case he could have caught a few breaks. Then we find out about this ankle thing that possibly won't even let him utilize training camp to make the switch from LT to RT, let alone the fact that he might not be able to play in 2004 period. He didn't tell us about it, for whatever thats worth.

I don't think you can overestimate how much changed when we found that out. We gave him a mere $300k signing bonus or something like that. Chump change. Also less than what we gave in bonus to St Clair. Honestly I think the ONLY reason we signed him after finding out the ankle problem, is because we were already taking heat for our previous miscues up to that point (mainly the Marino thing). We actually went ahead and SIGNED that contract with McIntosh. It was only by a lucky clause that his agent had overlooked that we didn't have a serious grievance on our hands when we tried to scrap the contract in light of the ankle injury. I think we signed him to the new contract in part to get his agent to shut up about the grievance (which he could have filed anyway, though he probably would have lost) and in part to quell the media criticisms before they start. How can they criticize us too badly for signing a player to a contract prematurely when he's a guy we wanted so bad we signed him anyway (at a cheap price) even after we found out about the ankle injury?

Since then the situation has prompted the Phins to go after two guys they didn't necessarily expect to go after....St Clair and Randall.

I'm a firm believer in looking at signing bonus as a direct indication of how much a team is counting on someone that they are signing. McIntosh's signing bonus means he's not being counted on hardly at all.

Back to the point, since then it seems like Boomer's treating the McIntosh situation as if nothing has happened between the time we first started flirting with him and now. But there has been a change, a dramatic one. Therefore I don't think its all that likely that the Phins keep a Shawn Andrews at RG while counting on McIntosh to make a magical switch to the right side (which he has not played in the pros) while not having any training camp to get use to the position. I think McIntosh's $300k signing bonus represents a small shot in the dark...part insurance policy if Andrews doesn't fall to us (front office feels very burned by their inability to trade up to get a tackle last year) and part investment for future yield. I still say putting a guy as gifted as Shawn Andrews at RG instead of RT is like using a cannon to kill a mosquito...while an enemy army bears down on you. Better to use the cannon on the enemy.

The difference between Mike Williams and Shawn Andrews are the health concerns in combo with the desire/character issues tossed in.

Don't forget about the latter. Thats still the primary image that Andrews is fighting against. He didn't even get on the bus for the Independance Bowl. Immediately afterward, rumors began flying that he was declared ineligible because he began early dealings with agents in preparation for the draft. There was also a rumor that he flunked academically, or that he just plain got mad and quit on the team. Only some time after did he come out with the excuse about the polyps in his nose...which, and lets be honest, sounds to most people (scouts included) as just that...an excuse. There is still the fact that he didn't even travel with the team for the game left unexplained even if he did have polyps preventing him from playing. Overall I think there is something that team scouts are seeing/hearing that we do not know about, and its leaking into the media in small increments through their rankings and projections and mock drafts etc.

Lately this past week I am starting to think yeah...Andrews will be there for us to take at pick #20.

I also respectfully disagree with the assessment that in any other year Andrews would be a round 2 candidate. He displays top ten talent but his heart is being questioned at this point.

Sweet mock draft Boomer!!!! :rocker:

I thought the analysis for each choice was top-notch.
:bandwagon:
Obviously, it will probably be different (some) on draft day, but this looks VERY realistic to me.

Damn good mock, one of the best i've seen including trades. I have to provide a link to my Patriots buddies. I can see it going down just like that.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The difference between Mike Williams and Shawn Andrews are the health concerns in combo with the desire/character issues tossed in.

Don't forget about the latter. Thats still the primary image that Andrews is fighting against. He didn't even get on the bus for the Independance Bowl. Immediately afterward, rumors began flying that he was declared ineligible because he began early dealings with agents in preparation for the draft. There was also a rumor that he flunked academically, or that he just plain got mad and quit on the team. Only some time after did he come out with the excuse about the polyps in his nose...which, and lets be honest, sounds to most people (scouts included) as just that...an excuse. There is still the fact that he didn't even travel with the team for the game left unexplained even if he did have polyps preventing him from playing. Overall I think there is something that team scouts are seeing/hearing that we do not know about, and its leaking into the media in small increments through their rankings and projections and mock drafts etc.

Oh OK.. They both look the same to me physically and Shawn Andrews looks to have a rough time with DE's like Ogunleye at the right tackle position just like Mike Williams is suffering from as we speak. They're physically identical. Good explanation.

That doesn't look serious enough for Miami to pass him up if he's there at #20. The guy is an animal on the field and he shows no lack of heart on game tapes at all. Stick him with Kieth Armstrong and Ricky Williams to keep his weight down with those NFL secret diets and whatever.

It's a toss up for me. Shawn Andrews or Vilma?? Both have top 10 talent and ability. Size is the main issue wth both.

Back
Top Bottom