Brady or Manning | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady or Manning

Brady is BY FAR the best QB of this generation, there's no question I'd take Brady over the overrated choker Peyton Manning.

Were you able to comprehend the long post I posted? I mean, I know there was some grammatical errors, but it CLEARLY shows that Manning does not "choke" in the playoffs. Actually, if Manning chokes then Brady chokes too.

Well you did miss the part where that Browns team moved to Baltimore and won the SB. That current Browns team left and then came back as an expansion team.

So that arguement has no merit.

You mean 6 years after BB left and two more coaching changes? Yeah, that has a lot to do with BB. Unless you meant that the Baltimore team still had a lot of BB's hand picked players. I'll look at the roster during BB's last year and Baltimore's SB winning roster. :rolleyes:

Brady is BY FAR the best QB of this generation, there's no question I'd take Brady over the overrated choker Peyton Manning.

Anybody can cherrypick stats. Putting any prejudice aside, most can agree Brady is the better qb or at least the equal of Manning. The poster who started this thread is a hater. 88 posts and almost all are about why Brady is average at best.

I like Manning. He's the best passer since Marino, but give me Brady any day.

Anybody can cherrypick stats. Putting any prejudice aside, most can agree Brady is the better qb or at least the equal of Manning. The poster who started this thread is a hater. 88 posts and almost all are about why Brady is average at best.

I like Manning. He's the best passer since Marino, but give me Brady any day.

I love it when people say someone is "cherry picking" when all the stats point to the other person being better. I'll ask this to you too I guess: Did you even read the long post I made?

Now, try and come back and refute those points rather than arguing ad hominems. :rolleyes2:

I honestly believe if you switch the two QBs, Brady would flop and Manning would look even greater. Brady is clutch, I'll give him that. But how much of it is the organization around him and how much of it is what he brings to the table?

I love it when people say someone is "cherry picking" when all the stats point to the other person being better. I'll ask this to you too I guess: Did you even read the long post I made?

Now, try and come back and refute those points rather than arguing ad hominems. :rolleyes2:

I didn't read the whole thing. you keep posting the same stuff in different threads, so i'd guess there was nothing new in that one.

Your whole argument is that the pats success is more a product of the defense than anything else. There's some validity to that, but how many teams with defenses as good (or even better), have had close to the run the Pats have had?

The Steelers come the closest, but only after they got a franchise qb in big ben.

The ravens are a perfect example of a team with an amazing defense can sometimes overcome the lack of a franchise qb, but it's a long shot at best. Once every 10 years they go deep into the playoffs, not 5 out of 7 like the Pats did 2001 - 2007.

I didn't read the whole thing. you keep posting the same stuff in different threads, so i'd guess there was nothing new in that one.

Your whole argument is that the pats success is more a product of the defense than anything else. There's some validity to that, but how many teams with defenses as good (or even better), have had close to the run the Pats have had?

The Steelers come the closest, but only after they got a franchise qb in big ben.

The ravens are a perfect example of a team with an amazing defense can sometimes overcome the lack of a franchise qb, but it's a long shot at best. Once every 10 years they go deep into the playoffs, not 5 out of 7 like the Pats did 2001 - 2007.

If you had read the entire thread then you would find that I had addressed your points....and debunked them. Have fun with your "guessing" though.I'll stick to my irrefutable facts and objective points. :up:

However, I'll go ahead and tell you again. BB is probably the greatest defensive minded coach in NFL history. Not even the 49ers, with Joe Montana, could compete with a BB defense. Montana is 0-3 against BB defenses. Did you read that part of my post?

Again, come at me with some VALID points to refute my opinions, or keep with your "guesses", I don't care. However, if you, a Patriots fan on a Dolphins forum, want to debate further with me, a Dolphins fan on a Dolphins forum, you're going to have to do better than that. :beer1:

Because you are a Jets fan. No but seriously, would you take Favre over Manning?

You must not have read my posts all season on favre as I never wanted him.

That's a tough call, they both have had their share of chokes but favre never had the offensive talent around him that Manning has had so I'd favor Favre PLUS favre did reach 2 Super Bowls.

Again, when you say w/o Brady you're talking about the Cleveland Browns.

BB got to the Browns in 1991,the Browns season records the previous seasons were 3-13, 9-7,10-6,10-6, the Browns just came off of a 3-13 year when BB got there. When BB got there the entire team was different from that 10-6 team.

He was 5-11 in NE w/o Brady in 2000, the 2001 team started off 0-2 before Brady stepped in and they went 11-3 en route to winng their first Super Bowl.

Were you able to comprehend the long post I posted? I mean, I know there was some grammatical errors, but it CLEARLY shows that Manning does not "choke" in the playoffs. Actually, if Manning chokes then Brady chokes too.

I'll read it now and respond in the next post.

I see so many things that are off in that post, it will take me time to respond to them all. I will try to get to it later today but more likely over the weekend.

No. Why would I read all of your posts? Of all the people on this forum, why would I specifically choose you to study? If I was gonna do that, I'd pick someone with less than 8,000 posts. It's a helluva lot easier to just ask you the question. Right? I have a full time job that isn't sitting in front of a computer. I squeeze time in here whenever I can, but that idea just isnt plausible.

I see a lot of people picking Brady becaue they say (wrongly I may add) that Brady has done more with less.

I would choose Manning, every time. However, I would pick the Patriots teams over the Colts team everytime.

I'm going to ramble here a bit about some of the things I have come up with when comparing Brady to Manning.

First, Brady has had to play with a defense ranked lower than 5th only twice his entire career. Both times the patriots failed to win more than 10 games. Manning WON the Super Bowl with a 23rd ranked defense.

How many times has tom brady thrown for 290 or more yards in the post season with a 90 or better qb rating in the same game? he did it once (i might tend to grade the tuck game on a curve and bump brady up a notch there....312 and 70 in a blinding snowstorm seems really good). now how many times has manning done that? 6 times. again, i think it's some of your's method of evaluation, far more than manning's post season play, that may need some improvement.

If you look at all of the Patriots playoff games since Brady arrived you would see that they find ways to win games even when brady has an off day, the colts manage to lose even when manning plays well. it happened again last saturday.

Brady had an OK game during his first SB win however, did he really deserve that first super bowl mvp award? He set vinatieiri up for a 48 yard gw fg...but that's hardly a chip shot. Now it's not as tough as the 45 yarder that adam hit to beat oakland in the snowstorm, but shouldn't vinatieiri have been the mvp? or do brady's 145 yards passing and 1 td carry the day there? of course i'd have picked brady over branch for the mvp in the super bowl against the eagles, so that's a wash. (in my books, branch owes vinatieiri a super bowl mvp trophy). but it does illustrate that people will often give too much credit to the qb when a playoff game is won. Hell, it happened in the colts super bowl win. addai and rhodes should have been co-mvp's (although if you force me to chose just one guy, manning's not a bad choice....).

in his 3 games against belichick defenses, joe montana had 3, 3, and 13 points and qb ratings of 34.2, 65.6, and 103. damned if those don't look like manning's numbers of 35.5, 69.3, and 79.1 (especially considering in the 79.1 manning passed for 349 yards and the offense scored 38 points, while in montana's 103 he passed for 190 yards and the offense scored 13 points). was the egg that manning laid in foxborough during their playoff game a failure of manning's or just another example of belichcik's brilliance? certainly it is a bit of both, but given the history here, i'd say it's more about belichick's brilliance. even truly great qb's have struggled against belichick defenses in the playoffs. how hard do we beat up manning for doing so?

would it help to know how manning and the colts have done in the playoffs given the number of points they produce? the colts are 0-3 when they score 14 points or less...... 1-3 when they score 15 to 17 points....0-1 when they score 18 to 21 points....1-1 when they score 22 to 24 points...and 5-0 when they score 29 or more points. Now, would you think that 17 points should be enough to win in the playoffs? you would think so, but not for the colts, who are 1-6 in any playoff game where they score less than 18 points.

now look at how the pats have done: 0-2 when they score 14 or less points....2-0 at 15 to 17....3-0 at 18 to 21.....4-0 at 22 to 24...1-0 at 25 to 28...and 4-1 at 29 or more points. like the colts, the pats have lost all of their playoff games where they score 14 points or less. but the pats are 14-1 in the games where the offense scores 15 or more points. the colts have to get above 28 points to approach that success rate, and do not even pick up their second playoff win without scoring more than 21 points.

The notion that having great wr's takes all of the pressure off of a qb when facing a good defense/weak offense is provably wrong. did having moss and welker take the pressure off of brady in last year's super bowl?

Teams can win with the ball control/no mistake approach, if that team has a good defense, as have ALL of the Patriots Super Bowl winning teams. The Patriots have not won ONE Super Bowl with a defense ranked lower than 5th. When the defense is below average in terms of points allowed, that approach rarely produces a super bowl champion, and never has for brady and the pats. In the history of the nfl, only 3 teams have won championships inspite of playing with defenses that were below average in terms of points scored: unitas with the 1959 colts, p manning with the 2006 colts, and e manning with the 2007 giants. You give way too much credit to the qb when you don't factor in the quality of the defense and just look at wins and losses when evaluating qb play. It also helps to have a good running game to win with that method. The pats are 2-2 in playoff games where the offense has rushed the ball for less than 3.5 yards a carry. The ball control/no mistake approach can be very good at producing wins in the post season, but it really helps to have a good defense and a solid running game to win with that method.

A qb can put up good stats against good defense/good offense teams in the playoffs and still lose. It has happened in each of p manning's last 3 playoff losses. But you have to look at more than wins and losses to know that.

People like to talk about mythical things like "clutch". Clutch time starts with the opening kickoff, not the 4th quarter or even the final 7 minutes of the 4th quarter. Points scored in the first half count just as much as those later in the game. Ignoring anything but the last half of the 4th quarter, or even placing an inordinant value on those results, will lead to an inaccurate conclusion.

If you look at all of the data you realize that the gap between manning and brady in the playoffs 1) is not all that huge; and 2) the gap in wins and losses has much more to do with the support of the defense, the difference in coaching staffs, the pats ability to run the ball more successfully, and even the talents of adam vinatieiri than any huge gap in the abilities of manning and brady. there just isn't that big a gap in the individual post season performances of the two qb's. the gap favors brady, but it isn't huge. And that gap has to do with the TEAM.

Now the gap between the colts and the pats in the post season is huge....but it's folly to use team results as your primary measurement of individual performance, no matter how you try to justify it. If you want to point to the post season results to conclude that the patriots of the 00's are a much better team than the colts of the 00's, and that belichick is a much better coach than dungy, those would be accurate assessments.

God I hate to make it seem like I'm defending Brady lol. I'll just say that the stat about Manning winning with a 23rd ranked D is a little misleading. I remember that Super Bowl run well since my nephew is a Colts fan. The return of Bob Sanders for the playoffs and the unit's elevated play was the top story throughout the march to the SB. The Colts D pretty much shut down every team they came up against, except (you guessed it) Tom Brady and the Patriots in the AFC Championship game that year. The Pats jumped out to a formidable lead in that game and Manning finally finished the deal with one of the more memorable comebacks in NFL history.
I'll also say that there are some intangibles that don't go on a stat sheet that make a qb legendary rather than great; Brady seems to have them all, Manning I'm not so sure about.
Brady is cool under pressure and I'd be more afraid of him with the ball in his hands, a minute to go and us nursing a 3 point lead...I just would.
A lot of what you say has validity though. I'm not saying it isn't close, I'd just rather have Brady personally- especially if my team is in the playoffs.

Tony dungy
with out manning .556 % with 4 in 6 yrs to playoff
with manning .75 % with 7 / 7 to playoff

funny how dungy has nothing to do with manning awesome success when he had winning recored before manning.

Back
Top Bottom