Brandon Marshall vs. Kyle Wilson and Darius Butler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall vs. Kyle Wilson and Darius Butler

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins are going to have to move Brandon Marshall into the slot at times when they face the Jets. And when the Patriots face the Dolphins, they're going to have to give Darius Butler a serious amount of help...which would tend to leave a rookie Devin McCourty on his own.

Darius Butler had 12 balls thrown on him with 10 completions for 133 yards and 1 TD. He only had 1 PD. Chad OchoCinco was 9 for 9 with 132 yards and the TD. The two incompletions came when Carson threw to Terrell O(verthehill)ens. Butler allowed 2.6 passing yards for every pass snap he was out there.

If Butler can have that much trouble with OchoCinco, he can have trouble with Brandon Marshall. It feels good to for once actually have a guy in the stable that we can say that about and not sound like homers. Anyway, Butler will need a serious amount of help because if Marshall finds something, remember this is the guy that one time caught 18 balls against the San Diego Chargers, and another time caught 21 balls against the Indianapolis Colts.

And if the Patriots swing a lot of help over top for Darius Butler, that could leave Devin McCourty out on an island against Brian Hartline, who will hopefully not continue dropping everything thrown at him. Even good rookies have lots of bad moments, that are quite costly. We know that best.

Meanwhile in the Jets game we get to try and victimize Kyle Wilson, if they still have the guts to throw him in the game at all by Week 3. He allowed 4 completions for 83 yards on 7 attempts, but that doesn't count the 5 yard Defensive Holding he had or the 22 yard Defensive Pass Interference he had. Altogether that makes him 6 of 9 for 110 yards. Coming out of school I thought this guy would have trouble with bigger receivers, because that's what he showed in college. He did indeed have trouble with a big, stout-bodied Anquan Boldin. Brandon Marshal regularly played in the slot in Denver. He spent about a third of his snaps there, as I recall. Miami needs to think about doing that so they can get Wilson matched up on Marshall.

Marshall won't see Wilson on the field revis is going to cover him all game

i just don't see how a team can put a #2 or #3 corner on Marshall. I believe #1 will be on him no matter where he lines up.

Marshall won't see Wilson on the field revis is going to cover him all game

It would depend on the condition of Revis' hamstring but I think you're right. They're going to have Revis on Marshall all game. The last thing Cromartie wants is for Marshall to line up against him considering all the times Marshall toasted his butt when they were in the AFC West.

Even though your logic seems good on papper with papper stats
1) When butler manned up on 85 and Devin on TO. they shut them down . the score was 31-3 when BB play deep shell with zone coverage. In this zone soft shell 85 had alot of catches.
2) Usually pats CB play on there side of the field and not on receiver.But Devin was matched with TO and Butler with Devin till the zone soft shell coverage in 3rd quater.so i think devin bigger/faster will be on brandon with merriweather on him all game.butler is more atheletic than devin and is a better matchup for hartline.

Rex said the only reason Revis wasn't following Boldin around like he normally would was that he wanted to try and save his legs. He said the decision was a mistake in hindsight and that he would just stick Revis on Boldin if he could go back and change it.

Unless his hammy is an issue he'll be on Marshall all game and this dream scenario won't come to fruition.

The Dolphins are going to have to move Brandon Marshall into the slot at times when they face the Jets. And when the Patriots face the Dolphins, they're going to have to give Darius Butler a serious amount of help...which would tend to leave a rookie Devin McCourty on his own.

Darius Butler had 12 balls thrown on him with 10 completions for 133 yards and 1 TD. He only had 1 PD. Chad OchoCinco was 9 for 9 with 132 yards and the TD. The two incompletions came when Carson threw to Terrell O(verthehill)ens. Butler allowed 2.6 passing yards for every pass snap he was out there.

If Butler can have that much trouble with OchoCinco, he can have trouble with Brandon Marshall. It feels good to for once actually have a guy in the stable that we can say that about and not sound like homers. Anyway, Butler will need a serious amount of help because if Marshall finds something, remember this is the guy that one time caught 18 balls against the San Diego Chargers, and another time caught 21 balls against the Indianapolis Colts.

And if the Patriots swing a lot of help over top for Darius Butler, that could leave Devin McCourty out on an island against Brian Hartline, who will hopefully not continue dropping everything thrown at him. Even good rookies have lots of bad moments, that are quite costly. We know that best.

Meanwhile in the Jets game we get to try and victimize Kyle Wilson, if they still have the guts to throw him in the game at all by Week 3. He allowed 4 completions for 83 yards on 7 attempts, but that doesn't count the 5 yard Defensive Holding he had or the 22 yard Defensive Pass Interference he had. Altogether that makes him 6 of 9 for 110 yards. Coming out of school I thought this guy would have trouble with bigger receivers, because that's what he showed in college. He did indeed have trouble with a big, stout-bodied Anquan Boldin. Brandon Marshal regularly played in the slot in Denver. He spent about a third of his snaps there, as I recall. Miami needs to think about doing that so they can get Wilson matched up on Marshall.

Revis didn't follow Boldin into the slot b/c they were easing him back in, I'll be shocked(unless he really is hurt) if he isn't following Marshall wherever he goes. If it is Wilson vs. Marshall then Marshall will destroy us.

Rex said the only reason Revis wasn't following Boldin around like he normally would was that he wanted to try and save his legs. He said the decision was a mistake in hindsight and that he would just stick Revis on Boldin if he could go back and change it.

Unless his hammy is an issue he'll be on Marshall all game and this dream scenario won't come to fruition.

While that's true, Bess will still get the opportunity to own Wilson repeatedly. Or maybe Hartline, if he ever learns to catch the ball.

While that's true, Bess will still get the opportunity to own Wilson repeatedly. Or maybe Hartline, if he ever learns to catch the ball.

Because Bess and Hartline are clearly on the same level as Q.

Even if Marshall isnt able to have a big day vs Revis, I am hoping that he is enough of a decoy to spring open Fasano, Hartline & Bess. I think those 3 are the true key to beating the Jets D.
Chubbs

Marshall may not "own" Revis, but neither will Revis "own" Marshall.

Marshall will have a respectable day.
We'll need to beat the Jets with others stepping up....

the problem is i'll take antonio cromartie and all his tools one on one over brian hartline all game long...same thing with devin mccourty and hartline the following week

so if marshall does get revis all over the place next week which i think is a given and the following week butler gets a ton of help vs marshall which i think is another given davon bess has got to do major work in both games...

cause taking the drops even out of the discussion brian hartline for me at least isn't a very good starting caliber #2 nfl wr right now...i'm not ready to close the book on him but i do see some things that have me saying we need to upgrade the position for the long term...

he's gonna have man to man looks all over the place next week vs the jets and the following week vs the pats and dammit brian hartline needs to start making some plays...

Back
Top Bottom