Brandon Marshall's route running | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall's route running

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Another week, another play where Brandon Marshall cut his route short mid-play and almost cost Henne an interception in the end zone. Marshall, running a fly route against Jason Allen, seemed to pull up because he noticed that the back-shoulder throw was open. And if he and Henne were on the same page, Henne probably would have noticed that, too, and fired a back-shoulder throw was wide open.But the two don’t have that chemistry yet. And Marshall can’t keep improvising his routes during the middle of the play, because eventually it will lead to a bad interception. The two have been lucky that both potential interceptions have been dropped by the cornerbacks.http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...d-10-other-observations-from-the-texans-game/

Another week, another play where Brandon Marshall cut his route short mid-play and almost cost Henne an interception in the end zone. Marshall, running a fly route against Jason Allen, seemed to pull up because he noticed that the back-shoulder throw was open. And if he and Henne were on the same page, Henne probably would have noticed that, too, and fired a back-shoulder throw was wide open.But the two don’t have that chemistry yet. And Marshall can’t keep improvising his routes during the middle of the play, because eventually it will lead to a bad interception. The two have been lucky that both potential interceptions have been dropped by the cornerbacks.http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...d-10-other-observations-from-the-texans-game/

So you're criticizng Brandon Marshall for converting his route from a fade to a curl which he did on the previous drive and barreled through JA for a touchdown?

If Henne had the football IQ and awareness of at least an average starting NFL QB, Henne makes that play and we are probably 1-1.

It was Henne's mistake, not Marshalls. Fans here don't bash Marshall day in and day out like they do with Henne.

Marshall saw the play from the beginning. BM is not one of the leagues worst starters, HENNE IS. HE JUST SCORED ON THE EXACT SAME PLAY... Marshall saw it, he thought Henne did, but clearly Henne isn't good enough to know to make that change at the line yet.

Give me a break.

So you're criticizng Brandon Marshall for converting his route from a fade to a curl which he did on the previous drive and barreled through JA for a touchdown?

If Henne had the football IQ and awareness of at least an average starting NFL QB, Henne makes that play and we are probably 1-0.

It was Henne's mistake, not Marshalls. Fans here don't bash Marshall day in and day out like they do with Henne.

Marshall saw the play from the beginning. HE JUST SCORED ON THE EXACT SAME PLAY...

Give me a break.

OK? ................ pfffft

This is where that whole 'being on the same page' applies to the QB & stud WR. I think everyone can agree that they are in a much better place than they were last year. It will get better if we give it time.

I have said it the past few days, Marshall is a terrible route runner. I think for such a top notch WR that he arguably runs the worst most inaccurate routes in the NFL. He relies solely on his size to outmuscle defenders or catch the short ball and try to do everything short of injuring himself to get up the field. I like Marshall but wish he would work on his route running. The plays are designed for him to run a particular route. If Henne or any qb for that matter doesn't know he is going to cut a route short or augment the route mid-play, how can he expect the ball to be where HE wants it as opposed to where the play calls for him to be?

I have said it the past few days, Marshall is a terrible route runner. I think for such a top notch WR that he arguably runs the worst most inaccurate routes in the NFL. He relies solely on his size to outmuscle defenders or catch the short ball and try to do everything short of injuring himself to get up the field. I like Marshall but wish he would work on his route running. The plays are designed for him to run a particular route. If Henne or any qb for that matter doesn't know he is going to cut a route short or augment the route mid-play, how can he expect the ball to be where HE wants it as opposed to where the play calls for him to be?

:bobdole:

A QB reads the same defense as the WR..If Henne couldnt see how far away JA was from Marshall and know a fade wasnt gonna work then he doesnt need to be starting.

Oh jeez. You mean he messed up on a route in week 2 of the regular season when he had to learn a whole new playbook in a short amount of time? What a terrible player.

Marshall read the coverage correctly, Chad Henne didn't.

Anyone that argues differently.... well... they know what they are...

If Henne had the football IQ and awareness of at least an average starting NFL QB, Henne makes that play and we are probably 1-1.

I'm not on the team so I don't know if it was the wrong route, miss communication, the guy at Buffalo Wild Wings firing off the sprinklers or what but from what I saw, Marshall was running, stopped, looked back, saw where the ball was going, then made a run for it.

From what I could tell, Marshall stopped about the same time Henne threw the ball. We don't know what play was called so we don't know who screwed up.

Marshall read the coverage correctly, Chad Henne didn't.

Anyone that argues differently.... well... they know what they are...

This is what you get with a coach that used a 3 second buzzer to develop a QB. Doesn't let the play develop.

I'm not on the team so I don't know if it was the wrong route, miss communication, the guy at Buffalo Wild Wings firing off the sprinklers or what but from what I saw, Marshall was running, stopped, looked back, saw where the ball was going, then made a run for it.

From what I could tell, Marshall stopped about the same time Henne threw the ball. We don't know what play was called so we don't know who screwed up.

You have to pay attention to the coverage. Jason Allen was playing 3-4 yards off Marshall pre-snap. That's the first indication that a DB is playing press technique.

The problem was Henne didn't continue reading the coverage AFTER the snap, Marshall did.

Instead of pressing, Allen continued into a bail technique that increased his cushion, Henne is supposed to read that and hit Marshall on the backshoulder for an e-a-s-y touchdown.

You people need to watch quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Matt Ryan play the quarterback position so you can see how it's supposed to be played. This is basic material that NFL quarterbacks worth a damn make look easy....

Marshall had no problems with Cutler or Orton. He put up monster stats with those guys.

Lets go Lions!!!!

Yea Marshall did the right thing. I said it as soon as I saw the replay. If you noticed Jason was playing way off Marshall, backpedaling all the way. Henne should have recognized that and hit Marshall when he pulled up. He probably would've carried Allen in the end zone like he did before.

Back
Top Bottom