Brandon Weeden | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

Twitter love: OSU football publicist Gavin Lang used Twitter to spread interesting comments about quarterback Brandon Weeden.

Lang tweeted about a conversation with offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who said Weeden is the best QB he has coached at any level. In addition to serving on collegiate staffs at LSU and Louisiana Tech, Monken coached four years with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

According to Lang, Monken said, "It's unbelievable. You're almost shocked when Brandon Weeden doesn't throw a perfect ball."

At Kansas State's expense, Weeden became the first OSU quarterback ever to throw for 500 or more yards in a game. He has at least one TD pass in all 22 career starts and he has multiple TD throws in 19 starts.

Monken said Weeden would be a lock as a first-round draft pick if age (28) didn't scare away some teams.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20111107_93_B4_ULNSka165181

Finally, a first round projection:

9. Washington Redskins - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State Cowboys

Is anyone's draft stock hotter than Weeden's right now?

He has lit up the skies of Oklahoma and even though he is older (28-years-old), he has the type of arm that head coach Mike Shanahan likes in his starting quarterback.

Related: 2012 NFL Draft: Ok State Cowboys QB Brandon Weeden’s Maturity, Arm Make Him Attractive Option

Weedon is not projected this high in many other mock drafts, but with the quarterback position highly sought after by needy NFL teams, Weedon can move up this high. It happened to Christian Ponder in last year's draft.

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/11/2012-nfl-mock-draft-where-do-andrew.html

He has the Dolphins drafting Landry Jones #2 overall- I would draft Weeden over Jones, easliy.

I'm sorry guys but this team should be looking for a franchise qb not a 28 year old chris weinke replica. No thank's, i'll pass

"Davie also boosted Weeden's Heisman Trophy campaign, giving him an edge over Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. “Right now the way Weeden is playing and as accurate as he is throwing, you would have to say he is ahead of Luck.”

Davie took issue with some NFL Draft experts failing to rank Weeden among their top five quarterbacks, calling him a first-round draft choice. “We've watched a lot of tape of Weeden,” he said.” I think I'm most impressed with how well he throws the bubble screens and the swing screens and how quickly he gets rid of the ball.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/abc-analyst-osus-...in-heisman-race/article/3622834#ixzz1dvRCLEuv

This from Colin Lindsay at GBN:

"Its tough when a guy that old comes along; certainly has the tools but historically teams have been very reluctant to use a #1 pick on a guy that age almost no matter how talented. That said if a team like Miami doesn't get someone in the opening round this year then someone like Weeden who is about as close to being ready to step in as any college player around could be worth a flyer as high as the early second. Right now though we continue to hear that most teams have him still rated as a late third round type."

That does seem reasonable to me in a lot of ways, but I'm still thinking that Weeden won't make it to the second round. Luck gives you probably 15 years. If Weeden is as good as Luck, and I do think that right now, in fact I think that he's a bit better- I'll take 7 or 8 years of that over a different QB who is Lucks age but isn't nearly as good as Luck or Weeden. As always, just my opinion. Weeden in the 2nd round would be a steal. Weeden in the 3rd round would be highway robbery.

This from Colin Lindsay at GBN:

"Its tough when a guy that old comes along; certainly has the tools but historically teams have been very reluctant to use a #1 pick on a guy that age almost no matter how talented. That said if a team like Miami doesn't get someone in the opening round this year then someone like Weeden who is about as close to being ready to step in as any college player around could be worth a flyer as high as the early second. Right now though we continue to hear that most teams have him still rated as a late third round type."

That does seem reasonable to me in a lot of ways, but I'm still thinking that Weeden won't make it to the second round. Luck gives you probably 15 years. If Weeden is as good as Luck, and I do think that right now, in fact I think that he's a bit better- I'll take 7 or 8 years of that over a different QB who is Lucks age but isn't nearly as good as Luck or Weeden. As always, just my opinion. Weeden in the 2nd round would be a steal. Weeden in the 3rd round would be highway robbery.

I doubt it stays that way by draft time, but if this is true, Blackmon/Weeden 2012.

I doubt it stays that way by draft time, but if this is true, Blackmon/Weeden 2012.

Absolutely. Stranger things have happened, but Colin is good and if a guy like him says that Weeden is still considered a 3rd round pick- all the better. And to be more specific, all the better assuming that the Dolphins FO does the right thing given the opportunity to draft him- if we didn't get a QB in rd 1 and passed on Weeden in rd 2 I'd go ballistic.

Here's some film of Weeden vs Texas Tech last week. I love his goaline throw at :30, fade into the right corner of the endzone to Blackmon for a TD. It shows the great touch that he has, along with the strong arm and tremendous accuracy. Think of how often the Dolphins try that play, and how often it fails:

http://draftbreakdown.com/brandon-weeden-vs-texas-tech-2011

I still don't see Weededn going in the Frist round, like a few are suggesting. I think when draft day comes, and those teams in the late first need to submitt their choice they will always plump for the younger guy on their draft board. I think he's solidified is 2nd round grade though, I think that's the big change over the last few weeks, before that it was 3rd and below.

I'm definately on board with taking Blackmon in the first and gambling that Weeden is there when we pick in the second, and assuming we hang on to our top first slot and no team trades up to miove ahead of us, I think he''ll be there.

From Scott Wright, Draft Countdown:

"I am still not totally sold on Weeden, partly due to the system he plays in at Okie St. but moreso due to his age. Any team that selects Weeden is essentially getting a guy whose career is half over. Then you have to factor in the adjustment period and a mid-30's decline and you may only be getting two or three good years from him. And that is assuming he is the real deal. I'd just have a hard time taking Weeden before the fifth round and could rather take a chance on a slightly lesser talent who is more than a half decade younger. Weeden is definitely shooting up draft boards though and could be selected as early as round three."

Actually, this is music to my ears- if the Dolphins are able to pull off a Blackmon/Weeden combo, I'll be thrilled. A mid 30's decline can still allow for 6 or 7 years of great play- I'll take it. I like Scott Wright's work, but I think that his take on this is overly negative and the 5th round is way too low of a prognosis.

More from GBN:

November 18

(12:01 am): What all the fuss is about … Their really big game comes up in two weeks when Oklahoma State hosts Oklahoma, presumably for the Big XII conference title, and just possibly an invitation to the BCS National championship game, but the #2 ranked Cowboys still have to take care of business later tonight when they play at Iowa State at 8 PM ET on ESPN. And that will give folks who haven’t yet really watched Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden (#3, 6-4, 215), potentially one of the most intriguing prospects for the 2012 draft, a chance to see what all the fuss is about. Weeden, who has completed 73% of his pass attempts so far this season, including 31 TD passes against 9 picks, has started to generate some real Heisman Trophy buzz. He’s also got all the tools to be a top NFL QB, but as an older player who spent 5 years playing minor league baseball before returning to football, Weeden still appears to be considered more a late second day type prospect by most teams around the league. Of course, Weeden‘s top target is junior WR Justin Blackmon (#81, 6-1, 210) who is a legitimate top 5-10 prospect for the upcoming draft. And while Iowa State should be challenged to stay with the Cowboys, the Cyclones do have several legitimate prospects of their own in massive OG Kelechi Osemele (#72, 6-5, 350), one of the top seniors at the position, along with veteran CB Leonard Johnson (#23, 5-10, 205).
http://www.gbnreport.com/

Another 2nd round grade:

The Miami Herald website hosted a segment with Bucky Brooks. Brooks is the talent analyst for the NFL Network and NFL.com.

"Anytime you're dealing with an older player there's a concern," Brooks said. "The thing that helps him is he plays the quarterback position and we've seen quarterbacks play up into their 40s and play well. The thing that helps him is the maturity should allow him to get on the field faster because he's been through a lot of experiences. He doesn't have to go through some of the things young quarterbacks go through in terms of having to get used to the lifestyle. I think he has a bigtime arm. He's very productive. There are things in his game you'd like to see corrected. He does take chances. He does throw the ball into tight coverage sometimes. But in terms of being able to spin it and having the arm strength and doing all those things that you look for, he grades out well on all those things."
Does Brooks think Weeden will be among those picked in the top two rounds?
"I think so. I see him as a top 64 pick ... His talent stands out on tape."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-quarterbacks-quarterbacks.html#ixzz1e56GKuH9

A lot of people will say that they have a tough time with the idea of taking a 28 year old high in the Draft.

I look at it another way. I have a tough time with the idea of taking a guy at a position, even though I know, absolutely know, that there's another guy available at that same position that is a significantly better football player. I have a tough time with that. How can I take Ryan Tannehill or Landry Jones when I know that Brandon Weeden is a significantly better football player? Now, I think Weeden is a little bit better than Matt Barkley, but the difference isn't very significant to me, and so I could feel OK about that, especially if I'm going to run a system that caters more to Barkley's strengths than Weeden's.

A much better comparison than Chris Weinke- Roger Staubach:

"While Weinke did great things at the collegiate level, he never really had that “it” factor Weeden possesses. Weeden has the fire, leadership and maturity only one quarterback to enter the NFL at his age had.

That quarterback is former Dallas Cowboy Roger Staubach.

While Staubach’s path did not find him in major league baseball first, he did not enter the NFL until the age of 27. After playing three years at Navy (1962-1964), Staubach was drafted in round 10 of the 1964 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. However, due to his military commitment, he could not join the Cowboys until 1969.

After spending five years in the military, Staubach returned to the Cowboys at the age of 27—which was considered an old man at that time. His “shelf life”, so to speak, for the NFL had already matured five years and nobody was really sure what they were going to get out of the rookie.

For those of you who know NFL history, you know what comes next. Staubach went on to become perhaps the greatest player to ever put on a Cowboy uniform. He was a six-time Pro Bowl selection, led the team to two Super Bowl victories and was named the MVP of one Super Bowl.

While he was not named the starter right away, Staubach took over as the starter for the Cowboys in 1971 at the age of 29. In his first season as starter he was named to the Pro Bowl and led the Cowboys to a victory in Super Bowl VI.

Despite only being the quarterback of the Cowboys for 11 seasons (eight as starter), Staubach went down in history as one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game as he posted a 85-30 record as a starting quarterback. And I’m sure if you go back and ask Dallas Cowboy fans, not one of them will ever complain about the fact that he was 29 when he took over as starter of the team.

Weeden will have the opportunity to make the same impact on a team the way Staubach did beginning in 2012. With his big arm, high accuracy, intelligence and leadership skills, he will be able to step in and take over a team right away—even if he won’t be there for 20 years.

With so many teams in need of a quarterback who can put their team in a position to win, a guy with Weeden’s attributes cannot be overlooked just because of age. In order to do so, they will have to get over the fact that Weinke failed in Carolina, and dig a little deeper into history for Staubach’s success—and just may find the best quarterback in the 2012 draft in the process."

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/11/oklahoma-state-cowboys-qb-brandon.html

Back
Top Bottom