Brandon Weeden | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

I'm sure he will be in the shotgun most of his time in the NFL too, but I bet the NFL scouts will want to see him show that he can operate under center at his pro day.

I had a serious man crush on the guy after Saturday's game for sure, just wish we could turn back time if he were the same age as Luck, Luck wouldn't be as sure fire a #1 pick as he is.

weeden made some nice nfl throws saturday but that game was a joke from the get go...one thing that separates him for me from a landry jones is he has much better timing...he sees it and rips it...i rarely see him late...you can watch a half of landry jones and i swear you'll see him late 3 plus times in that half...or just make a bad decision and throw the ball into coverage...

i think weeden can make the transition to under center also but at this age and all if i'm taking him i'm taking him to play primarily in the spread and not under center...i'm gonna cater to him like i would a cam newton...primarily...play to strengths and what works for him

weeden made some nice nfl throws saturday but that game was a joke from the get go...one thing that separates him for me from a landry jones is he has much better timing...he sees it and rips it...i rarely see him late...you can watch a half of landry jones and i swear you'll see him late 3 plus times in that half...or just make a bad decision and throw the ball into coverage...

i think weeden can make the transition to under center also but at this age and all if i'm taking him i'm taking him to play primarily in the spread and not under center...i'm gonna cater to him like i would a cam newton...primarily...play to strengths and what works for him

If I recall correctly the game was a joke because Weeden and the offense were mercilessly driving down the field and scoring. Then at the end of the half or beginning of the 3rd quarter, I forget, Texas Tech had a stupid fumble off of a kickoff, and a route became an emabarrassment. But Weeden played lights out- on top of his huge stats- what, 400+ yards and 4 TDs?- Blackmon dropped what looked like a sure long TD pass that would have padded the stats even more. It's not just the stats by any means- it's how Weeden carries himself, leads the team seemingly in total command of what he's doing at QB, and makes every throw that you would want to see at the pro level with force, accuracy and touch when he needs it. And the score should have been 72 to whatever except for the OSU RB inexplicably running out of bounds at the 2 yard line, at least from the angle that I saw. Looked like Brandon Marshall redux.

you know people can say what they want about flynn and i agree the compensation of its accurate is not ideal but i'm a believer that this kid can play in the nfl...and every time i've seen him get run all he does is make plays...if we missed on a qb early in this draft for whatever reason i for one would be calling up the pack about matt flynn...and that for me at least says a lot cause out of college you couldn't have sold me him as a pro player if your life depended on it...and if flynns a true unrestricted free agent if i'm miami i'm making a call the second the clock strikes midnight on the free agent period to see if i can get him on the cheap

Hmmm, interesting timing- maybe someone at the Sun Sentinel is reading your posts:

Should Matt Flynn be an option for Dolphins?
by: Omar Kelly November 15th, 2011

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

[h=2]
[/h]

Omar Kelly is a fan of any QB that's not on the Dolphins roster. I heard him on NFL Radio pining for the Dolphins to trade for Matt Leinart.

If I recall correctly the game was a joke because Weeden and the offense were mercilessly driving down the field and scoring. Then at the end of the half or beginning of the 3rd quarter, I forget, Texas Tech had a stupid fumble off of a kickoff, and a route became an emabarrassment. But Weeden played lights out- on top of his huge stats- what, 400+ yards and 4 TDs?- Blackmon dropped what looked like a sure long TD pass that would have padded the stats even more. It's not just the stats by any means- it's how Weeden carries himself, leads the team seemingly in total command of what he's doing at QB, and makes every throw that you would want to see at the pro level with force, accuracy and touch when he needs it. And the score should have been 72 to whatever except for the OSU RB inexplicably running out of bounds at the 2 yard line, at least from the angle that I saw. Looked like Brandon Marshall redux.

no doubt...but last saturday it wasn't just weeden gashing them...that run game was destroying the red raiders also...just completely outclassed and annihilated...and did anyone see how many turnovers the okla st d which doesn't to me look to be all that formidable in the first place has forced...well maybe in that conference it is i guess but the number of turnovers they've forced already is some ungodly #...i heard the commentator say it and i was like holy hell...

The turnovers on that defense are not coincidental. They play very fast and loose on that defense and at times it can hurt them, but the one thing that has stood out from the start on the defense is how hard they hit and how aggressive closers they are. Up front, Jamie Blatnick really tracks the ball well and closes on it, and he's created a lot of turnovers himself.

IMO, Weeden is the best passer in the 2012 draft even if all the high ranked juniors declare. I was really surprised to see his burst of speed on that one interception. He ran the dude from behind and almost made a sussessful horse collar tackle. I had no idea he had that kind of athleticism, or meanness, for that matter. I just figured him for the Tom Brady/Ryan Mallett type.

Henne greatly increased his mobility before he got hurt. If Weeden could get a little bigger stronger faster, he could really add to his resume. He looks to have some potential to be a decent athlete.

He does have the straight ahead wheels when he needs them. He's got the wheels of a baseball player. They're coached well on reaching top speed as quickly as they can.

He just doesn't really use the wheels that much.

Actually if you want a better idea of Brandon Weeden's speed, check out 19:01 in that video. Baylor DE Tevin Elliot comes screaming into the backfield unblocked on a play-action pass, and Weeden has to loop around him to make him miss with the help of a little sealing from a back. But what happens next is the real interesting part. Weeden puts on the speed, and keeps his distance from Elliot as he's trying to close. Weeden sees more defenders coming from the front and decides that discretion is the better part of valor, gives himself up and slides.

Thing is, Tevin Elliot was a freshman at this time and I doubt he was really 250 lbs from the look of him on the play. He's been clocked at 4.62 in the 40 yard dash according to NFL Draft Scout. But here Weeden pops his head, shoulders and feet to the line of scrimmage right off the play fake (optimal), sees this 4.62 speedster in his face, back pedals and strafes a bit to make him miss, then gets himself going forward and he's keeping up his distance from Elliot. If there was nobody in front of Weeden, would he even have gotten caught by this small, speedy 4.62 defensive end?

I'm tracking Weeden's draft stock on the web- I've seen "too old to draft", though usually it's around a 4th-5th round grade. Here's the highest I've seen yet, 2nd round- and I think that it was recently updated:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74797&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB

Name: Brandon Weeden
College:
Oklahoma StateNumber: 3
Height: 6-4 Weight: 218
Position: QBPos2:
Class/Draft Year:
rSr/2012
40 Time: 4.92 40 Low: 4.82 [SIZE=-1]40 High:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]5.05[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Projected Round: [SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE] Stock:
same-1.gif

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rated number [SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE] out of 125 QB's[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]29[/SIZE] / 2675 TOTAL[/SIZE]

2nd round, article from 10/31/11

For the NFL team interested in drafting Weeden, they will find themselves in a unique situation.

At 28 years of age, Weeden’s maturity level is way above the likes of younger quarterback prospects. Usually a team drafts a younger quarterback prospect to be their “franchise centerpiece” for the next 10-15 years with the understanding this player may not yet be mature, and they will grow as a person and leader with age. When drafting Weeden, this is something you do not have to worry about.

Yes, he may only be a starting quarterback in the NFL for seven to ten years, but if a team can grab him in the second or third round of the NFL Draft, wouldn’t it be worth the risk? Teams like the Browns and Dolphins have gone through 15 or more starting quarterbacks since 1999, so I’m sure their fans would take the same guy under center for five or more years.

So who exactly would be interested in the Oklahoma State signal-caller come April? Well, surprisingly a number of teams.

The Chiefs would be next on the list because they have a lot of money invested in Matt Cassel. However, if the Chiefs were to decide they needed a backup who can take over, they have enough weapons for a guy like Weeden to come in and be successful. They are also one year removed from winning the AFC West, and if Weeden’s maturity and accuracy got them back to that spot, nobody would care if he was there for six years.

It is apparent a quarterback is needed in Washington, as Rex Grossman and John Beck are clearly not the answer. Head coach Mike Shanahan isn’t getting any younger, which means Weeden’s chances of landing in Washington could be higher because he doesn’t have the maturity issues the other quarterbacks might have. Not to mention the Redskins won’t be picking high enough to grab Andrew Luck, Landry Jones or Matt Barkley, which means Weeden could be there for the taking in the middle of the second-round

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/10/2012-nfl-draft-oklahoma-state-cowboys.html

Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
-- The Cowboys' matchup against Texas A&M exceeded all the pregame hype. Oklahoma State mounted a furious second half comeback led by Weeden, who completed 78 percent of his passes for a school record 438 passing yards and 2 touchdowns.
Most impressively, Weeden did not throw a single interception despite 60 pass attempts. He completed each of the seven passes he attempted on the game-clinching drive. He's a precise game manager with a terrific feel for the position. Continued success the rest of the season plus impressive pre-draft workouts could vault Weeden into the draft's first 50 picks.

picture caption: "Brandon Weeden's efficient play is inching him closer toward first-round potential."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../09/26/week.4.risers/index.html#ixzz1dv5JVzQv

Back
Top Bottom