Braylon Edwards with our first pick... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards with our first pick...

finsfan4life said:
Yes, if they can't get something of equal value for him in return for trading down. If they can trade down and pick up extra picks or players then that's obviously something they should do. If they can't however, they need to draft the best player.
Obviously if you can trade out of round 1 (where they will be picking very late) then obviously. But if you can't (obviously this isn't a great example because you easily could, but for the sake of arguement) then it's useless to draft him. What would he do?

I understand that you don't target one player because you need help at that spot (ex. Carey at 19 when Wilfork was there) but it's not as simple as he's ranked highest on our board, we will take him.

Back to Edwards... He's not that good, and drops to much easy stuff. He's like Orande Gadsden. OG could catch ridiculous balls, but would drop things right in his hands.

IMO he's the next David Terrell. OVERRATED.

Ali G said:
Obviously if you can trade out of round 1 (where they will be picking very late) then obviously. But if you can't (obviously this isn't a great example because you easily could, but for the sake of arguement) then it's useless to draft him. What would he do?

I understand that you don't target one player because you need help at that spot (ex. Carey at 19 when Wilfork was there) but it's not as simple as he's ranked highest on our board, we will take him.

Back to Edwards... He's not that good, and drops to much easy stuff. He's like Orande Gadsden. OG could catch ridiculous balls, but would drop things right in his hands.

IMO he's the next David Terrell. OVERRATED.

I think you take all things into account. Now if the Fins have Braylon Edwards and Alex Barron rated very close to each other then I say go for Barron. However, if Edwards has a grade of 100 (as an example) and Barron has a grade of 90 they're both potentially great players but, 10 points is a big difference. That's why Edwards (or Leinart in the Colts example) would be the better pick IMO. If it's 100 to 98 then it's a different story.

The thing that doesn't make sense about drafting based on team need is that team needs can change at any time without warning.
One injury, or one surpirise retirement can completely change the look of a team's depth chart.
Don't take the 40th rated player on the board over the 5th rated player on the board, just because you already have a good receiver, defensive end etc... Just take the best player available.
We're more than one player away. Build up a good base of young players again.

wow. some of these responses are pathetic. colts would take leinart because hes the best player(not that it will happen). what a joke. why would you draft someone that wouldnt help you, when you could draft someone that would help you? it makes no sense. and its stupid.

Nappy Roots said:
wow. some of these responses are pathetic. colts would take leinart because hes the best player(not that it will happen). what a joke. why would you draft someone that wouldnt help you, when you could draft someone that would help you? it makes no sense. and its stupid.

Look, I could say some things about your response that are pretty stupid too but, instead I'll do it constructively. If the guy is the best player you draft him period. The NFL changes on a daily basis so no one really knows who can help you win games. What if Manning goes down with an injury? Is Jim Sorgi the answer? What if your starting runningback decides that he doesn't want to play football anymore, is the backup good enough to step in so the team doesn't miss a beat? Every player that you draft, especially in the first round, has the potential to help your team win games if they have the talent.

finsfan4life said:
Okay since we're taking nominations for dumb post of the month I'll nominate any post that talks about drafting players to fill positions based on team need. The draft is about picking up talented players not filling positions. I'll throw some names out there...

Jamar Fletcher, Wade Smith, J.J. Johnson, John Avery, Yatil Green, and Billy Milner. These were all guys that were drafted because we were trying to fill team needs. Now here are some guys that could have been drafted instead of the above players....

Instead of Fletcher, who was drafted because Wannstedt thought that nickel corner was an essential position to the Fins defense we could have drafted: Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Alge Crumpler, etc. You guys were probably saying things like "we shouldn't draft Drew Brees we already have a quarterback in Jay Fiedler."

In 2002 we drafted Seth McKinney with our first pick (3rd round) partly because we needed help with o-line, (sound familiar?) However, instead of drafting for need we could have drafted guys like Brian Westbrook, Alex Brown, and Najeh Davenport. I'm sure you guys were saying things like, "We already have a runningback in Ricky Williams, we don't need to draft another guy."

The point is the draft is about drafting players based on their talent not what position they play,

Amen brother. I started this thread and if you notice I said with our FIRST pick. I'm inclined to the fact that we MUST trade down and I believe we will. Do I think Brown, Edwards or Benson are worthy of a No. 2 pick? Hell no. We trade down and draft the BEST SKILL position player available. Period. It's going to be Edwards. Our NEED picks in past drafts have not panned out so well as this post so eloquently mentions.

saves said:
Can someone tell me why Booker is not a solid #2? Hell, he was a solid #1 for Chicago. I think we are fine at WR buddy.

Mike Williams is better anyway.
Williams is not better then Edwards. This guy is going to be a beast watch just like no one believed me last year around the draft when i said that Big Ben is the best player in the draft. Watch Edwards will be a star in this league he is one of the best college WR i have ever seen. That said i would be pissed if the dolphins drafted him because i agree with you 100% about not needing a WR that is one of the only position that we have multiple quality players at. So in a way you are right but i just cant believe that Williams is better then Edwards even though he is good as fuchk as well.

we can have all the recivers we want but let me remind you that you need a qb to throw them the ball.... we still dont have one.

Edwards could be the next Randy Moss talent wise. He goes up for the ball better than any reciever I have seen in a long time. He doesn't make his QB throw the perfect pass, he makes the QB's pass look good. This guy is a top prospect and is going to be killer in the NFL where ever he goes. I think if we brought him in CC might become the #2 guy.

We would demand a lot more respect with our passing game that is for sure and we would open up the running game. Chambers, Edwards, and Booker. That would be tough to stop, like Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley. The only difference is we dont have a Payton Manning or Edge. I think we could have a Edge or The Edge himself this offseason and with that kind of fire power we dont HAVE to play with a Manning at QB. I'm all for bringing Edwards in!!!

I'm completely on the bandwagon now to draft a QB and his name starts with an R...

A WR? Your kidding...

Shamboubou the guy is not even as good as Fitzgerald how can you say that???

Back
Top Bottom