Braylon Edwards with our first pick... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards with our first pick...

South Florida said:
First off, he's not the 2nd rated prospect.

Who's doing the ratings? You can't look to to the internet all of the time to judge a player's talent.

I'm kind of torn on the issue because I'm all for drafting the best player available and Edwards is a top 5 prospect IMO. Fortunately though, the Fins are deep at receiver and corner so, if I had my way we'd trade down before we picked a player at a position where we already have a lot of depth.

BlueFin said:
Dumb post of the month...congratulations!
Nope, but anybody who thinks Braylon Edwards should be drafted with our #2 pick should qualify. There is absolutely NO logic involved whatsoever in picking him that high. If there is any position I am comfortable with at this point its wide reciever. Why would we waste the highest pick the franchise has had since its first season on a position we are stacked at?

Can someone tell me why Booker is not a solid #2? Hell, he was a solid #1 for Chicago. I think we are fine at WR buddy.

Mike Williams is better anyway.

There is no denying that braylon edwards has skill and athleticism but 3 things i have noticed by watching him play:

1. When he is not involved in the play he shows little enthusiasim

2. When he is not involved in plays he shows no effort in his blocking ability

3. He seems like he has some personality issues he kind of reminds me of Randy moss in terms of attitude,

I would rather have Marty Booker anyway. Ill vote this the Dumb topic of the month.

Braylon Edwards would be a great pick for Miami. IF they draft Edwards, look for the Dolphins to put Marty Booker on the trade block for additional picks for positions of need.

You guys forgot the whole "trade booker factor" if Braylon is being considered, because that's what it's gonna come down to.

BlueFin said:
Dumb post of the month...congratulations!
Ditto.

What a funny post.... we should spend the 2nd pick in the draft on the position we are the strongest in.... when we need a D-Lineman, RB, O-lineman, LB.....

I hope whoever posted that was just a young kid, or drunk man. Because I can see the stupidity dripping off that post.

David Terrell anyone? These Mich. WR haven't been awesome, not to mention Edwards drops easy passes... Waste of a pick.

Okay since we're taking nominations for dumb post of the month I'll nominate any post that talks about drafting players to fill positions based on team need. The draft is about picking up talented players not filling positions. I'll throw some names out there...

Jamar Fletcher, Wade Smith, J.J. Johnson, John Avery, Yatil Green, and Billy Milner. These were all guys that were drafted because we were trying to fill team needs. Now here are some guys that could have been drafted instead of the above players....

Instead of Fletcher, who was drafted because Wannstedt thought that nickel corner was an essential position to the Fins defense we could have drafted: Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Alge Crumpler, etc. You guys were probably saying things like "we shouldn't draft Drew Brees we already have a quarterback in Jay Fiedler."

In 2002 we drafted Seth McKinney with our first pick (3rd round) partly because we needed help with o-line, (sound familiar?) However, instead of drafting for need we could have drafted guys like Brian Westbrook, Alex Brown, and Najeh Davenport. I'm sure you guys were saying things like, "We already have a runningback in Ricky Williams, we don't need to draft another guy."

The point is the draft is about drafting players based on their talent not what position they play,

I sort of hope we trade down and end up with Alex Smith or Rodgers and LSU center, Ben Wilkerson in round one. This comes after solving Rb ( Lamont Jordon, Rudi Johnson) in free agency. That leaves alot of work still to do but that would be a fine start and would put McKinney on the bench where he belongs.

finsfan4life said:
Okay since we're taking nominations for dumb post of the month I'll nominate any post that talks about drafting players to fill positions based on team need. The draft is about picking up talented players not filling positions. I'll throw some names out there...

Jamar Fletcher, Wade Smith, J.J. Johnson, John Avery, Yatil Green, and Billy Milner. These were all guys that were drafted because we were trying to fill team needs. Now here are some guys that could have been drafted instead of the above players....

Instead of Fletcher, who was drafted because Wannstedt thought that nickel corner was an essential position to the Fins defense we could have drafted: Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Alge Crumpler, etc. You guys were probably saying things like "we shouldn't draft Drew Brees we already have a quarterback in Jay Fiedler."

In 2002 we drafted Seth McKinney with our first pick (3rd round) partly because we needed help with o-line, (sound familiar?) However, instead of drafting for need we could have drafted guys like Brian Westbrook, Alex Brown, and Najeh Davenport. I'm sure you guys were saying things like, "We already have a runningback in Ricky Williams, we don't need to draft another guy."

The point is the draft is about drafting players based on their talent not what position they play,
So if the Colts have a shot at Matt Leinart (not really, but I'm making the point) they should draft him if he's the best overall where they're drafting?

You don't draft just anyone for their talent. You look at a combination of things. It's not as easy as "he's top ranked on our board, go for him and tell Manning he's got competition this year."

actually when you draft for need you often end up reaching ( Vernon Carey) for a player who isnt worthy of your pick. Teams like N.E. draft best player available (Vince Wilfork). If you have two players closely ranked on your board, then maybe you go for the guy who fills a bigger need. Draft by your board NOT by need.

Ali G said:
So if the Colts have a shot at Matt Leinart (not really, but I'm making the point) they should draft him if he's the best overall where they're drafting?

You don't draft just anyone for their talent. You look at a combination of things. It's not as easy as "he's top ranked on our board, go for him and tell Manning he's got competition this year."

Yes, if they can't get something of equal value for him in return for trading down. If they can trade down and pick up extra picks or players then that's obviously something they should do. If they can't however, they need to draft the best player.

Taking a WR makes absolutely no sense to me, I will be furious if draft one anywhere in the first 5 rounds.

Im kinda disappointed that a lot of you dont think that this is an option. If the dolphins draft on ability (that is if Brayon Edwards performs great in the combine and raises his stock) they may pick Braylon Edwards. A Player of Edwards caliber is starting material and would make Marty Booker expendable. He could be a starting receiver on most teams which would yield a late first round choice or a bunch fo 2nd and 3rd rounders. With those the Dolphins can shore up depth in other positions. Again this all depends on many factors, one of which would be whether Saban thinks Feeley is the man or not.

Back
Top Bottom