BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down

Reaction score
MIAMI (AP) -- Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy is resigning.

A team official spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hasn't been revealed publicly. The source told The Associated Press that Van Gundy's decision to resign is because of personal family reasons.

It's not clear who would replace him, but there are indications that former Heat coach Pat Riley could return to the sideline.

The team has called a news conference for 11 a-m, saying Van Gundy, Riley and Heat owner Micky Arison would appear.

Van Gundy led the team to the best record in the Eastern Conference a season ago. But his job status has been the subject of speculation in South Florida for months, starting when Riley said shortly after the Heat's 2005 playoff run ended that he may choose to take a larger role in the team's day-to-day operations.

That comment set off a storm of speculation that Riley was planning to dismiss Van Gundy and take over the team.

The two eventually met in mid-July, with Van Gundy emerging from that session saying he was assured that he'd remain Heat coach.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/sports/MIA12473/
http://wsvn.com/

I don't like how it was done.....I WANTED Riley to step in before the season started....

But it had to happen....the Guy (Stan Van Gundy) continually gets outcoached and forced to "matchup" with other teams.....WE SHOULD BE THE ONES forcing unfavorable matchups...not reacting to them.

Stan Van Gundy also blew game 7 last year by calling 5 consecutive pick and rolls down the stretch (Shaq squeeled on Stan) and didn't go into shaq down the stretch when he was dominating.

Make no mistake on who stabbed Stan in the back.........SHAQ.

Stan Van Gundy deserves another job...you know..fine...he is not all that great a coach...but he does deserve another job.....

Very dissapointed with Shaq.....he needed to play for the coach that was in place...not lobby and make yourself a pain in the azz.

SHAQ the rat. :lol:

Riley is such trash, he failed w/ this team for years then SV comes in and has success and Riley wants the job back. We knew this would happen when Rilry denied it all offseason. Too bad Heat fans, you had a better chance to win w/ VG.

I was about to make a thread on this

I liked stan though....but Pat will win us an NBA title

Alex22 said:
I was about to make a thread on this

I liked stan though....but Pat will win us an NBA title

Why will pat win you a title? have you paid attention to what he has done post-LA? He had teams good enough to beat Chi and had homecourt and couldn't do it(I'll give him a pass on that since no one beat Chi), then had Jordan away for 2 years and couldn't win a title in NY then took over Miami and only made the conf finals once thanks to half the Knick team being suspended. He was a failure as a HC in Miami and VG resurrected this team and now he's out and Riley's in. You aren't winning a title w/ Riley.

nyjunc said:
Why will pat win you a title? have you paid attention to what he has done post-LA? He had teams good enough to beat Chi and had homecourt and couldn't do it(I'll give him a pass on that since no one beat Chi), then had Jordan away for 2 years and couldn't win a title in NY then took over Miami and only made the conf finals once thanks to half the Knick team being suspended. He was a failure as a HC in Miami and VG resurrected this team and now he's out and Riley's in. You aren't winning a title w/ Riley.

Riley is an all time great coach

In those years no offense to us but we really were over achievers, we were a good team but he got the most out of us,besides we have D.Wade, and Shaq

A monkey could lead us to a title im sure riley can

Alex22 said:
Riley is an all time great coach

In those years no offense to us but we really were over achievers, we were a good team but he got the most out of us,besides we have D.Wade, and Shaq

A monkey could lead us to a title im sure riley can

Riley is not an all-time great coach, LA won a title before he got there and then 4 w/ him and then made the Finals the year after he left. He was along for the ride in LA.

He was the GM in Miami so if you had "underachievers" it was his fault but after Jordan retired there wasn't a team in the East more talented and he never even made a conf finals during those years.

This is all Riley......anyone who believes otherwise is crazy

Pat Riley has as many NBA titles without Magic Johnson as I do: zero.

Not saying he's not an all-time great coach, obviously he is, but don't get carried away. Frankly, I think the way Riles is throwing SVG under the bus is shameful. If he was going to do it (and we all knew it was happening at some point), he should have done it after game 7 last year. Instead, he let SVG take all the heat, go through training camp, try to coach a team that was missing it's best player and was trying to integrate half a dozen new parts into the rotation, and use their mediocre start as an excuse.

If the HEAT now fall flat on their face....Riley will place the blame on Stan for leaving the team in turmoil on short notice. If the Heat turn into gangbusters now, then it was Stan holding the team back.

Riley is in a no-lose situation.

I heard this early in the morning and this is the first I get to type about it. This has to do with Sgaq and Riley. SVG is a good coach but not a GREAT coach like Riles. Pat is going to lead this team far IMO. SVG is a good coach and a good person and It is sad to see him go but we should be happy because our team improved this year.

Really schetchy that he kicks Van Gundy out right when Shaq comes back. Of course the Heat are going to start winning....doesnt really matter what coach is on the sidelines. He is a better coach, Van Gundy is a nice motivator and all.....but in the game he makes too many mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom