BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down

phunwin said:
This is Public Relations 101: Hide behind the family. It's a convenient excuse and no one will dare call you on it. And sometimes, people will wax poetic on your behalf, calling your decision "noble" and "admirable".

If you can't tell, I don't believe for a second that SVG stepped down voluntarily and no amount of crocodile tears will convince me otherwise.

Well the fact of the matter is that this story stands. In a court of law its always the opposers obligation to prove otherwise. Untill SVG's opposers do so, his story stands. You may not belive it for whatever reason i dont know. BUt we must take his word on it till someone proves this story false.

phunwin said:
This is Public Relations 101: Hide behind the family. It's a convenient excuse and no one will dare call you on it. And sometimes, people will wax poetic on your behalf, calling your decision "noble" and "admirable".

If you can't tell, I don't believe for a second that SVG stepped down voluntarily and no amount of crocodile tears will convince me otherwise.

Both Riley and SVG should get academy awards for their acting then.

I don't think it was an act. As I said before, I think Van Gundy was feeling the pressure and rather then get fired eventually (which he would have IMO), he figured he'd get out quick and save himself and the organization the grief of having to deal with all the questions surrounding Riley taking back over and firing his friend to do so. I'm gonna watch the presser when I get back from the gym. I'll let u know what I think and if it was staged or not!

IMO another factor for SVG leaving is all the egos.

2 years ago he had Wade,E Jones,C.Butler,Odom,Grant and a bench of Alston,Haslem,R. Butler, and Allen

no one expected them to do well, and there was no pressure.

Last year he had Wade, E Jones, D Jones, Haslem, Shaq with a bench of Dooling, L8, Anderson, Zo(half a year), Doleac, and R Butler.

More pressure because of Shaq and Wade's rookie year, but at the same time his job was easy. Get Shaq the ball, and everybody else will feed off of him. Everybody else on the team let Shaq do his thing, and they played better because of it. Wade also got better as the season moved along. Again he only had to do two things, Get Shaq the ball or let Wade iso his man.

This year (even without Shaq) he had to coach Wade,JWill,Walker,Posey,Haslem, Payton, Kapono, Simien,Doleac,Anderson, and Zo. With Shaq back it would be easier for them, but w/o Shaq SVG would have to find a way to get all these players involved. Missing Doleac and Anderson for the last couple weeks has hurt as well.

IMO the Heat not only needed a player that demands a lot of respect like Shaq back in the line-up, but a coach that has post season credentials, and is not afraid of making changes to line-ups. Riley is better suited to run this team.

IMO
SVG-Teacher, good for young teams searching for an indentity (Heat 2 years ago, Hawks, Raptors, etc.)
Riley-Better suited for veteran teams where all he has to do is call plays

Riley smells the roses and he wants to be there to pick them up at the end of the year.He knows there is a small window of opportunity ,maybe a couple of years and he wants it.

this is the team riley wanted so if it fails, its riley's fault..plain and simple

It was an act. How many times did you hear Riles say "I am the best man for this job" or "I want to coach the players I brought in".

That family thing is BS. He is just saving face. Riley told him he was going to be gone and he could save face by re-signing. Riley wants to get credit for Winning the Championship If the Heat win. It is so coincidental how this happened the game after Shaq returned.

This was an act.

All I know is this. All you Heat fans should be excited to have Riley. I don't think he would be coming back and putting his integrity on the line if he didn't think he was getting this team to the Finals (farther then the Heat went last year). Riley has always picked and choosed his spots (like Phil Jackson) so something tells me he think he sees something in the Heat that will put them over the top!

Exactly. I am not upset about today, but it is obvious it was an act. Riley will put us over the hump and win us a NBA Title IMO.

I think Van Gundy has taken a lot of undeserved heat :). His fault Wade got hurt last year right? They would have won the East last year if this didnt happen.
Van Gundy got pressured out, theres no question of that. Cmon you would have to be a fool to walk away from a team with Wade and Shaq, along with millions of dollars. The guys been coaching for decades, now all the sudden he is a big family guy? Cmon now, Riley wanted to coach this team, Shaq and the players wanted Riley to coach the team, Van Gundy saw it coming and left.
I think this whole manuever by Riley is pretty shameless. I used to root for this team after my Wizards but Id have a hard time now. Riley has been pushing this for a good year now, if Van Gundy wasnt his friend he would have done this a year or so ago. This is pretty weak IMO.

MikeO said:
This is all Riley......anyone who believes otherwise is crazy

Bingo! I've always liked Riles(being a Laker fan) but this just doesn't look good.There was rumor about this last year,if they(Riley)was going to make a switch they should've done it prior to the season starting imo.All of a sudden SV decides he needs more family time c'mon.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
All I know is this. All you Heat fans should be excited to have Riley. I don't think he would be coming back and putting his integrity on the line if he didn't think he was getting this team to the Finals (farther then the Heat went last year). Riley has always picked and choosed his spots (like Phil Jackson) so something tells me he think he sees something in the Heat that will put them over the top!

Picked his spots?

He was an assistant coach when Paul Westhead was fired in the 1982 season, which gave him his first opportunity. The only place you can argue is that MAYBE he did so in NY, because of Patrick Ewing.

He jumped back into coaching (while fulfilling the role of president) in the 1995/96 season, and had NOTHING. This is what he helped engineer when he got here:

Acquired center Alonzo Mourning, guard/forward Pete Myers and forward/center LeRon Ellis from Charlotte in exchange for guard/forward Glen Rice, guard Khalid Reeves, center Matt Geiger and a first-round draft pick.

Then in early 1996...
In one of the biggest trading days in NBA history, Miami acquired guard Tim Hardaway and forward/center Chris Gatling from Golden State for forward/center Kevin Willis and guard Bimbo Coles. Acquired forward/guard Walt Williams and forward Tyrone Corbin from Sacramento for guard/forward Billy Owens and forward/guard Kevin Gamble. Acquired guard Tony Smith from Phoenix for guard Terrence Rencher.

So he built that team.

He also built this current team as President. This isn't Del Harris being replaced by Phil Jackson. It's ridiculous to say that Pat Riley picks and chooses his spots consistently.

What doesn't get talked about is the most obvious....

This team has YET to have their starting five start a game this season...

Shaq out for 18 of 21 games.....

Posey missing the first 5 games and then missing bits and pieces of other games with injuries...

J-Will missing 5 games....

Doleac and Anderson missing 15 games each....

Payton missing 2 games...

This team is injury riddled....When they get healthy....you will see something....THAT is what RILEY sees.

IMO....and I have never been a big fan of Stan's....he left 4 wins out there this season.

BTW...anybody want to guess what San Antonio's record would be right now if they had Duncan miss 18 games, Parker miss 5 games...., and Bruce Bowen miss the first 5? Do you get the picture?

It is sad that Riley will get credit for a turnaround when a turnaround was gonna happen anyway.

But trust me on this.....the Heat upgraded their Coaching bigtime.

and if you don't think SHAQ is behind this...you just have not been listening....In the offseason...when Shaq was asked what coaches he would most like to play for....He mentioned Pat Riley.....and NO ONE ELSE.

This was Shaq's doing.

bottom line - i feel better about riley coaching this team than svg - don't really pay much attention to the drama...

Back
Top Bottom