BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down

nyjunc said:
Miami was never a legitimate contendre under Riley, they made ONE Conf Finals and were won just 1 game and the only reason they made that Conf Finals was b/c half the Knick team was suspended. They never came clsoe to reaching an NBA Finals under Riley. To his credit he built the current group which was a contender last year and should be this year but under him as HC they have never been a legit threat.

The Knicks were the achilles heal...and like I said...alot of bad luck is what kept those Heat teams from advancing to ECF's...

No b/c even w/o Jordan in '94 he had his team contending and in '95 w/o Mike most of the year they were good.

We disagree...

Of course you need great players but there are certain teams that would win no matter who their coach is and LA was one of those teams. They won right before he got there and made a Finals right after he left. Jackson took over a tam that had never won or even reached the Finals. yeah they were ready to win but he got them there and then he tok over an underachieving Laker team and won in his 1st year.

Riley took over a putrid Knicks team and made them contenders...and then took over an even more putrid heat team and made THEM contenders...that's pretty good.

Riley took over a putrid Knicks team and made them contenders...and then took over an even more putrid heat team and made THEM contenders...that's pretty good.

The Knicks were not putrid, they had some good players and a good building block in place in Patrick Ewing. Riley took over for the '91-'92 season and guided them to the 2nd rd, in '88-'89 and '89-'90 they also made the 2nd rd so they weren't in as bad a shape as you think.

phunwin said:
Until *I* prove the story was a crock? By your line of thinking, we can take almost anything that anyone says publicly at face value. It would be nice if the world were like that, but it's not.

I'm not trying to be a jerk; you're applying an entirely different and completely inapplicable standard. The opposer's obligation to prove otherwise? How about the far more applicable standard of common sense, taken with a few grains of skepticism?

In any event, if you want to live in your world, where everything Pat Riley and Stan Van Gundy say publicly can be taken as absolute gospel, go ahead. Who am I to disturb that?

Im not saying you take everything at face value, but you cant just insist that its a lie without proof of so. You speak of common sense? I dont know about you, but I thought it was common sense to believe that a man listens to what he knows is true, and that is that family/your kids are more important then a job. He may have always known it but never listened to the voice. SVG said that he could coach for more years if it was just his younger kids he was worring about. But looking at his oldest kids made him realize the time is running out to be thier for them.

Here it is, I take what he said as truth, you dont. So be it. Now on to the Riles era......again.

The simple facts are these....The Heat has a good team....and now they have a great coach.

No slight to Stan...but IMO there should have been no reasons to be shaking your head a tthe things he would do as a coach.

The guy was just not that good a coach.

Enough with reacting to everybody else when we have a roster to give ALOT of teams serious matchup problems.

I'll add another one.....

another SVG special is to take the ball away from the hottest player at the moment....J-Will is destroying J. Terry of the Mavs off the dribble...so what does SVG do? Not only does he bring in Toine and Haslem ou tthere together...but he puts Toine to guard Dirk and then calls ISO after ISO with Toine...and when that doesn't work...he starts calling pick and rolls with Haslem and Wade....of course....a 4 point deficit turns into a 12 point deficit...and we lose...

SVG insisting on calling EVERY SINGLE PLAY (yes...believe it or not...the guy calls ALL the plays) is just plain old stupid.

I swear...if I saw another player get hot to have SVG sit him on the bench...I was going to committ a violent act.

Most of all...his brain fart in game 7 last year.....sealed it for me.

Back
Top Bottom