Brighter NFL Future? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brighter NFL Future?

Sammy Watkins can be a very good No. 1 WR

Jarvis Landry can be a very good No. 2 WR

Both are on their way to being great players, and both will be equally important to their teams imo, but they are different kinds of WRs. Landry also adds a lot of value on ST.

Landry has frequently been compared to Boldin - or as Billick assessed: "but with more upside." While I don't believe Anquan has ever been considered a top 5 receiver, in his heyday he certainly would be included in the top 10. So regardless of how Watkins nets out, that's definitely good enough for me!

They are different types of players but I think both will be really good and players my team has to worry about for a long time.

Watkins.

I like Landry a lot, but if he wasn't on the Dolphins we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Comparing Landry to Hartline is pretty laughable. Landry probably has more YAC this year than Hartline his whole career. I'd actually be interested in seeing the numbers. Hartline trips over his own feet more than he gets tackled.

Hartline has great YAC - Except for those times the grass reaches up and tackles him - which is most of the time.

Watkins is the more talented player, no doubt.

We need to settle down about Jarvis. Look at the upside Moncrief has and he was a 4th round pick. Jarvis is doing great and all but I see him as a future Hartline. A fan favorite, a guy that will make solid catches, but becomes a middle of the pack guy. It's not like he's ever going to be a true outside #1.

We need to draft WR high next year because Wallace only has 1 year left here, get an outside guy, doesn't matter if he's raw he will have a year to develop probably as a #3 option in the offense.

While I agree that Watkins is a true outside speed receiver (who is already better than Wallace, IMO), to compare Landry to Hartline tells me YOU need to settle down about Brian Hartline. Hartline is body-catcher who is 6'2 but plays like he is 5'10. He runs with all the grace of a pregnant yak and goes down faster than a White House intern.

Landry plays bigger than he is, has excellent hands and deceptive speed. He is ALREADY better than Hartline (and IMO already our best receiver) and while he may never reach "elite" status, he will likely be considered a top receiver in the league within just a few years. You may not think so, but Super Bowl winning coach Brian Billick does, that's why he said Landry is "like Anquan Boldin but with more upside".

Last edited by a moderator:
Watkins will appear better to the eye bc the type of receiver that he is with his speed is more eye catching, but I see their stats being very similar down the line when you look at overall production. Landry has a lot more competition for targets, and is still turning heads. Teams have to account for him and that says a lot.

Watkins is definitely a bad a**

You guys who think Landry can't be a #1 Receiver are out of your gourds! Well.... let me temper that a little bit, I Guess it depends on what your definition of a #1 receiver is. If you're saying that the only way to be a true #1 receiver is to be over 6'2 run a sub 4.5 and have the ability to out jump and muscle DB's then no he won't be that. Is he the biggest? Nope, is he the Fastest? Nope! But what he IS..... is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. This guy has football instincts that you can't teach! His Route running is hands down better than Watkins right now, and so are his hands. He won't be a Calvin Johnson type #1 receiver but I can see him as a Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice, Roddie White, type #1 Receiver. Do we need a Big receiver that can line up outside and win those jump balls? Absolutely but I don't think that's the only criteria to being a #1 Receiver. I think you can be a #1 receiver lined up in the Slot if that's that position that allows you to best utilize your skill set. Why is lining up outside valued more than lining up in the slot? I hear the argument all the time that A player that excels in the slot is not a #1 Wr because if you put them outside they won't excel... NEWSFLASH put an outside receiver in the slot and they won't excel the same either. Different skillsets are needed for different positions. I'll put it this way..... I think Landry will put up #1 receiver type numbers more consistently than Watkins. I'll put it in fantasy terms for ease of explanation... Watkins has 3 high scoring games... over 100 yards and maybe a TD or two. This is in a system where he's the primary WR all the time. Outside of those 3 games he has been pretty bad. (not an indictment on him, I think it has much to do with the QB play) but he has 7 games where he caught 4 or less passes. Landry has been pretty solid on a more consistent basis ever since week 6 when Lazor finally realized that Landry should be targeted more and Hartline less. He's playing in a system that doesn't believe in #1 Wr and likes to spread the ball around. So his targets are limited. Which tell me he's making the best of his opportunities by making things happen after the catch and not dropping passes.

All in all, i think they both can be #1 receivers just in different ways. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

While I agree that Watkins is a true outside speed receiver (who is already better than Wallace, IMO), to compare Landry to Hartline tells me YOU need to settle down about Brian Hartline. Hartline is body-catcher who is 6'2 but plays like he is 5'10. He's runs with all the grace of a pregnant yak and goes down faster than a White House intern.

Landry plays bigger than he is, has excellent hands and deceptive speed. He is ALREADY better than Hartline (and IMO already our best receiver) and while he may never reach "elite" status, he will likely be considered a top receiver in the league within just a few years. You may not think so, but Super Bowl winning coach Brian Billick does, that's why he said Landry is "like Anquan Boldin but with more upside".

LMAO!!!

brian hartline:
article25756261C19AA8200000578479_634x51-1.jpg

Why does it matter whose future is "brighter" both have the ability to play in the league a long time and be key parts to their team's offense.

Comparing Landry to Hartline is pretty laughable. Landry probably has more YAC this year than Hartline his whole career. I'd actually be interested in seeing the numbers. Hartline trips over his own feet more than he gets tackled.

Hartline

Year - YAC
2010 - 225
2011 - 101
2012 - 255
2013 - 317
2014 - 142

Total -1040

Landry

Year - YAC
2014 - 325

Landry has more YAC in 12 games than Hartline has in any season with us.

Landry's average YAC per pass is 5.7, Hartline is 4.4

Sammy Watkins. But both should have solid careers for the next 10+ years (barring serious injury).

Put it this way: Which arrangement would scare defenses more..

a) Sammy Watkins (outside WR), Rishard Matthews (slot)

b) Rishard Matthews (outside WR), Jarvis Landry (slot)

I'd say "a".

c) Dorial Green-Beckhem (outside WR), Jarvis Landry (slot)

I pick "c"

Watkins is the more talented player, no doubt.

We need to settle down about Jarvis. Look at the upside Moncrief has and he was a 4th round pick. Jarvis is doing great and all but I see him as a future Hartline. A fan favorite, a guy that will make solid catches, but becomes a middle of the pack guy. It's not like he's ever going to be a true outside #1.

We need to draft WR high next year because Wallace only has 1 year left here, get an outside guy, doesn't matter if he's raw he will have a year to develop probably as a #3 option in the offense.

Your insane, the thing that makes Hartline a player that is on the fence whether good or bad is he does not produce in the redzone, he rarely gets TDs, does not get many yards after the catch usually, and can be at time inconsistent with drops.

Landry is going to be a weapon in the redzone, he refuses to go down after the catch and is shifty enough to turn a 5 yard catch into a 15-20 yard catch in the blink of an eye, and finally because he is so physical, and has huge hands, the words drop will rarely follow the Name Landry.

Back
Top Bottom