Broncos' Sean Payton explains failure to lure Vic Fangio back to Denver | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Broncos' Sean Payton explains failure to lure Vic Fangio back to Denver

Yes I did... and still argue that he picked a rising star coach in McD vs a washed up hasbeen in Payton!

You're not impressed with that Super Bowl title from 13 years ago? What about going 7-9 four out of five years in the mid 2010's?

They've had some good teams, they've had a lot of average teams but they ALWAYS had a ton of talent.

I think winning just one title with Brees is somewhat of a disappointment. Especially since they were in the NFC and didn't have to tangle with Brady.

Cue the "I would take one title in 15 years argument" to explain Sean Payton's value. Just like Aaron Rodgers, these guys with their one Super Bowl are disappointments in my eyes.

Payton could've just as easily been fired the year before they won a Super Bowl.

Yes I did... and still argue that he picked a rising star coach in McD vs a washed up hasbeen in Payton!
He picked the Dolphins because Payton took the job in Denver. It was widely reported that Fangio was planning to be the DC of Payton’s next team. In fact those reports were coming out before the season was over and Boyer was still the DC of the Dolphins.

I am glad Fangio decided to come to Miami but I still believe he would have joined Payton anywhere except in Denver.

He picked the Dolphins because Payton took the job in Denver. It was widely reported that Fangio was planning to be the DC of Payton’s next team. In fact those reports were coming out before the season was over and Boyer was still the DC of the Dolphins.

I am glad Fangio decided to come to Miami but I still believe he would have joined Payton anywhere except in Denver.

Would you have gone to Carolina, Houston or Arizona because some guy who coached Drew Brees to a Super Bowl title 14 years ago went there.

If Andy Reid retired and Sean Payton took the Chiefs job, you might be right though.

Fangio picked Miami cause Miami is closer to Italy than Denver is
Bobby Moynihan No GIF by Saturday Night Live

Would you have gone to Carolina, Houston or Arizona because some guy who coached Drew Brees to a Super Bowl title 14 years ago went there.

If Andy Reid retired and Sean Payton took the Chiefs job, you might be right though.
It doesn’t matter what I would have done. It only matters what Fangio would have done and I do believe he would have gone to Carolina, Houston, or Arizona if Payton had taken one of those job instead of the job in Denver.
If you read Payton‘s comment. He even admits that Fangio didn’t have any desire to return to Denver so soon after being fired as the Broncos head coach just one year prior.

Good for you... I still believe he picked McD & Tua over Payton & Wilson!

IMO, Payton is overrated a lot like Belecheat! Without Hall of Fame QBs, they’re .500 coaches. The one true GOAT is the late great DON SHULA, who went to the Super Bowl FOUR F’n times with FOUR different QBs!!! Morral /Unitas with Bmore, GREISE, STROCK/WOODLEY and finally with DAN.

Good for you... I still believe he picked McD & Tua over Payton & Wilson!
In the end, he picked the job that paid him $4.5 million and made him the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. Perhaps no other team he interviewed with wanted to match or exceed that offer.

As I stated, I am happy he selected the Dolphins but I think it had a lot more to do with the fact he didn't want to
return to Denver and he was living in Florida during the year he took off from coaching. He obviously enjoys living in Florida and the chance to make $4.5 million a year for the next 3 or 4 years and remain in Florida was likely the biggest factor in taking the Dolphins job.

As far as your belief that he picked McD &Tua over Payton & Wilson is concerned. Obviously that is correct because he is the Dolphins DC now and not the Broncos DC. Yet I think there were other factors that made the decision more than who the HC and QB of each of those teams are.

In the end, he picked the job that paid him $4.5 million and made him the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. Perhaps no other team he interviewed with wanted to match or exceed that offer.

As I stated, I am happy he selected the Dolphins but I think it had a lot more to do with the fact he didn't want to
return to Denver and he was living in Florida during the year he took off from coaching. He obviously enjoys living in Florida and the chance to make $4.5 million a year for the next 3 or 4 years and remain in Florida was likely the biggest factor in taking the Dolphins job.
.... and that he picked McD & Tua over Payton & Wilson!

IMO, Payton is overrated a lot like Belecheat! Without Hall of Fame QBs, they’re .500 coaches. The one true GOAT is the late great DON SHULA, who went to the Super Bowl FOUR F’n times with FOUR different QBs!!! Morral /Unitas with Bmore, GREISE, STROCK/WOODLEY and finally with DAN.
While I agree that Payton is overrated based on his overall record as an NFL head coac. As much as I love MCDaniel being the Dolphins HC, we still don’t know if he is the long term answer or not.

We have had three head coaches come in and take the Dolphins to the playoffs in their first year as the teams head coach since 2008. Sparano, Gase, and now McDaniel. We all had high hopes for all three of those head coaches after their first year in Miami. Hopefully MCDaniel will be the one head coach who have long term success in Miami but we just don’t know at this time.

The reality is no matter how effective McDaniel is as the teams head coach, Fangio signed a three year contact. He is going to earn at least $13.5 million dollars over those 3 years whether MCDaniel succeeds or not.

.... and that he picked McD & Tua over Payton & Wilson!
As I pointed out, he gets $13.5 million over the next 3 years, whether MCDaniel or Tua are still with the Dolphins. So I view it as he took the money and the fact MCDaniel and Tua are with the Dolphins was relevant but not as important as the money.

But if being right that he selected MCDaniel & Tua over Payton & Wilson is that important to you. Who am I to try and argue with you and not allow you to wallow in the joy of being right. Go for it.

I totally agree with you. I never understood the aura of Sean Payton. And Bill without Brady, is above average at best.

Back
Top Bottom