Bruschi | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bruschi

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
I know most in here are bias toward the Dolphins and have trouble evaluating other players objectively. Been there.

But, I'm also confident that most are compassionate toward Bruschi's real-life problems with the stroke he suffered. I for one hope & pray he has a full recovery - not just to play football again, but more importantly to be able to be there for his family.

I have a great respect for Bruschi, though many here think he is over-rated. There are some players who don't have all the skills that others do, but they have an instinct to make the big play at the right time. Jake Scott was one of those type of players and he didn't get enough credit for it. Still doesn't. But, Bruschi has a knack for making a huge play at just the right time - not many players do that even though they get the opportunity. One of the most memorable for me is the INT of a Fiedler pass at the Dolphins goal line that sealed the game a couple of years ago up in New England.

While I'm not going to try to do a one-to-one comparison between Bruschi and Zach, because they do not play in the same systems, I did take a look at their stats and found some interesting comparisons. Zach clearly outshines Bruschi in terms of # of tackles. But, in terms of "big plays," Bruschi is tremendous. Zach makes his share, no doubt. But, I did a "big play" analysis - including the following stats: sacks, passes defensed, INT's, TD's, over the last 4 seasons (in which Bruschi has really been a key cog on the Pats D):

Bruschi:
Sacks: 12
PD: 30
INTs: 10
TD's: 4

Thomas:
Sacks: 6.5
PD: 22
INTs: 6
TD's: 1

Not only has he been productive in these categories - they seem to come at JUST the right time (e.g., the INT against Philly and the stripped ball against the Colts). Tony Kornheiser noted on his radio show this a.m. that if Bruschi could not play anymore that the voters would be very much inclined to vote him into the Hall of Fame since he is one of the leaders on three Super Bowl Championships. I am inclined to agree. In some ways it would be similar to Dwight Stevenson's situation (though DS was the best at his position in his 7 years). Yet, Bruschi has 3 rings and was a major player there. Forget the Pro Bowl accolades. Making the Pro Bowl in recent years is a false indication of greatness.

It is scary to think of a man who has had a stroke playing football again. But, I hope he is able to play. He is the kind of lunch pail player that is hard not to like. But, regardless (not "IRregardless" - not a word), I hope he'll be healthy for the long term.

Da 'Fins said:
It is scary to think of a man who has had a stroke playing football again. But, I hope he is able to play. He is the kind of lunch pail player that is hard not to like. But, regardless (not "IRregardless" - not a word), I hope he'll be healthy for the long term.

Actually, if they caught it early enough, there is no reason he shouldn't be able to play again. Anti-stroke medications, if delivered promptly, can reverse the harmful effects of a stroke and restore the patient to his pre-stroke health. That's a big diffeence between a stroke and a heart attack.

What happened to Bruschi sucks for him. But one of our competitors is weakened, so that's good.
I hope the dude's ok, but I wouldn't mind if he didn't suit up again.

I've always liked Brushci. I've always thought he was the most underrated player in the league and my prayers are with him too and I'm relieved that it wasn't more serious. So he will be able to play football. He is a great example of an athlete with class. He is the type of player we need to find for our team.

Gator Mike said:
I wouldn't want to beat the Patriots that way.

Why not?
You want to steam-roll oponents or go to OT? I relish the news each time bad luck hits a team in our division, we've had our fair share.
I ain't doing Brewski a solid, he's just on the wrong team.

lotion said:
Why not?
You want to steam-roll oponents or go to OT? I relish the news each time bad luck hits a team in our division, we've had our fair share.
I ain't doing Brewski a solid, he's just on the wrong team.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Some things in sports are more important than competitive advantage. Bruschi is a great football player and character of the game firsat, and a Patriot second. I never, EVER wish for an untimely end to someone's career.

Not wishing anyone bad, just glad the Pats are weakened further.

DrAstroZoom said:
Actually, if they caught it early enough, there is no reason he shouldn't be able to play again. Anti-stroke medications, if delivered promptly, can reverse the harmful effects of a stroke and restore the patient to his pre-stroke health. That's a big diffeence between a stroke and a heart attack.
The real risk is that it could happen again, they have to determine why the blood vessel broke in the first place and if he will be prone to having another.

Bruschi is at the top of my list for players I dislike the most.
But that is football, which is entertainment and has nothing to do with life.

As a man, a father, and a husband I feel for him and his family and I hope he makes a full recovery.

I live football and the Fins, but it's not life.

Keep it real.

Good luck Teddy,

Why? So we're out of gas and out of the playoffs after the first game? The more easier wins the better.
You think the 12 teams that beat us this year wish we were at full strength? I'd rather kick the **** out of an oponent given the chance, tough victories wear the team down.

I never liked him. I always thought he was a ****y prick. And the name Tedi itself bugs me. But It still sucks what happened to him. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I don't like Bruschi the player, and since I don't know Bruschi the man, I can't really have an opinion. I wish him a recovery that helps him get healthy for himself and his family, but if he misses the season or can't play again, I won't lose any sleep

lotion said:
Why? So we're out of gas and out of the playoffs after the first game? The more easier wins the better.
You think the 12 teams that beat us this year wish we were at full strength? I'd rather kick the **** out of an oponent given the chance, tough victories wear the team down.
Pittsburgh beat NE when they weren't at full strength but failed to finish the job the second time around when it was for all of the cookies...

Back
Top Bottom