Bruschi's cap figure -vs- Zach's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bruschi's cap figure -vs- Zach's

Spray Mucus

Ray Lucas' mom didn't take vitamins
Reaction score
At the risk of being chastised, I'm gonna throw it out there...

Now by no means am I saying Bruschi is better nor am I saying would I rather have Bruschi over Zach but look at 2005 compair the two salaries and tell me what you think.

Bruschi

05' - $1.35
06' - $1.7
07' - $1.75

Z. Thomas

05' - $3.5

This is Salry, not the cap hit, which would make you even sicker... for some reason I can't find Zach's 06 or 07 figures... But you get the point.

bruschi did his new contract by him self, with no agent. He took less money to help the pats with cap space.

that is a very rare thing in the NFL. he could have easaly asked for 3 times that.

it has nothing to do with the pats or anything, thats just Bruschi trying to help out his TEAM.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
what point?
Read ch19079's comment... He kinda got what I was driving at.

Why dont guys who are life long Dolphins (like Zach) work deals like this, or simular to this to help the team out and get more quality players in to win.... which is what Zach's all about right?

He's always commenting after the season how hurt he is because they couldn't get far into the playoffs... and what not.

Spray Mucus said:

Now by no means am I saying Bruschi is better nor am I saying would I rather have Bruschi over Zach but look at 2005 compair the two salaries and tell me what you think.

Bruschi

05' - $1.35
06' - $1.7
07' - $1.75

Z. Thomas

05' - $3.5

This is Salry, not the cap hit, which would make you even sicker... for some reason I can't find Zach's 06 or 07 figures... But you get the point.
I'd argue that Bruschi is the best LB in football right now. Guy doesn it all - plays the run, pass and can rush the passer. Couldn't beat the clip of him playing with his kids on the field before the game yesterday and did you see after they won he ran right to the stands to get them. Zach is a very good LB but the key to long term success IMO is knowing when to get rid of guys before they have no value left and you are paying for past performance. Zach still has a couple years left but at what point do you get something for him and use that money elsewhere.

Rich22 said:
I'd argue that Bruschi is the best LB in football right now. Guy doesn it all - plays the run, pass and can rush the passer. Couldn't beat the clip of him playing with his kids on the field before the game yesterday and did you see after they won he ran right to the stands to get them. Zach is a very good LB but the key to long term success IMO is knowing when to get rid of guys before they have no value left and you are paying for past performance. Zach still has a couple years left but at what point do you get something for him and use that money elsewhere.
Although, your point is the most valid, and all together TRUE... My bias for Zach would not want to ever see him leave...

I just wish guys who say "All I want to do is win, and I'll do anything to win"... but when it comes to taking less money, it's kinda like that Meatloaf song "I'll do anything to win, BUT I won't do that"....

again don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Zach fan.

Spray Mucus said:
Although, your point is the most valid, and all together TRUE... My bias for Zach would not want to ever see him leave...

I just wish guys who say "All I want to do is win, and I'll do anything to win"... but when it comes to taking less money, it's kinda like that Meatloaf song "I'll do anything to win, BUT I won't do that"....

again don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Zach fan.

:roflmao:

Zach's probably a slightly better player, but Bruschi's a better value.

Zach re-works his contract nearly every damn year. So does Jason and a few others. Don't fret they will redo there contracts again this year.

Bruschi is a good-nearly great player in a NEAR perfect system. He benefits from the system and the system from him. Even Tom brady has said that if he was in another town he probably wouldn't be in the NFL anymore or on the bench. That tells me that the players believe in the system so much and because of that, the system succeeds and a by product is that they succeed.

Zach Thomas is not part of that high quality system and the "stars" of our defense have to carry the load. Not that he will nesacarily be around in three years but i'd like to see what a new system in Miami does for our guys. Zach is HOF bound i honestly believe that (not first ballot) Bruschi may be as well, But i just like zachs style of play better.

awing_pilot said:
Zach re-works his contract nearly every damn year. So does Jason and a few others. Don't fret they will redo there contracts again this year.QUOTE]

What does rework their deal mean? Do they take a paycut? Or do they just take more signing bonus up front so the current cap # is less? Is that a great deal? Maybe for the current year but guess what - at some point their cap # will catch up and then the team is stuck! Do you think these guys are doing this to help the team? They are getting MORE money up front. That is their motivation IMO.

Spray Mucus said:

Bruschi

05' - $1.35
06' - $1.7
07' - $1.75

Z. Thomas

05' - $3.5

This year Bruschi stepped up and had a great year, but if you consider what both have done in their careers, Zach was worth his salary far more then Bruschi.

They get a bigger bonus up front then take smaller salary.

Don't kid yourselves folks theres a limited amount of reasons for pro-sports:

Fame
Fortune
Championships

usually as players get older they start to watch out for themselves (fortune) after establishing ther fame/Championships. But you will never have one without another. If football had guarenteed money (which i think it should) I think things could be different.

Back
Top Bottom