Brutally honest take on Tua from Asante Samuel | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brutally honest take on Tua from Asante Samuel

I think Asante could be spot on. Especially the part about flexibility and barley being able to outrun 300 pound guys.
You ever see Peyton Manning or Brady run? Like a Clydesdale pulling a Budweiser wagon

Not that I am comparing them to Tua......but you certainly can have success without being overly mobile in the terms you are talking about

“my first criticism of Tua is his weight, I think he's carrying too much of it bacause im sure he was told it would protect him, that **** needs to go. He needs to get lighter and faster, which can also keep him out of harms way”
Yep we were told the goal was to make him a dual threat by Nick hicks. That somehow changed completely to putting on weight. I don’t know why they changed the plan

You ever see Peyton Manning or Brady run? Like a Clydesdale pulling a Budweiser wagon

Not that I am comparing them to Tua......but you certainly can have success without being overly mobile in the terms you are talking about
You are 100% correct; you can have a ton of success without being overly mobile with above average athleticism. However, that stuff would really help if you're a QB in Miami, a team that has o-line issues EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!! On Sunday, Buffalo's defense was all over Zappe, and he was able to escape most of the time and make a play. Will Tua be able to do that?

The only way you don't extend Tua is if you are willing to eat it in the W/L for a season while you scout and deliberately position yourself to take your next starting QB. QBs don't just fall into people's laps most of the time unless you're willing to really work at losing for a season.
Like I said, I really like him, but I don't think his contract should be the new market setter. He isn't that type of QB. If he won't sign for less, there are questions to answer and adjustments in the plan that will have to be made.
I also think Tua has to know that McDaniel has made him. If Tua wants to play hard ball and not sign and test the market, he may get big money, but will he be successful like in Miami?

You are 100% correct; you can have a ton of success without being overly mobile with above average athleticism. However, that stuff would really help if you're a QB in Miami, a team that has o-line issues EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!! On Sunday, Buffalo's defense was all over Zappe, and he was able to escape most of the time and make a play. Will Tua be able to do that?
We really don't ask him to do that. Our game is speed and timing and it works pretty well, but when it breaks down, it gets sketchy.

The O-line definitely is a yearly issue. I can't fault the Fins for not getting or developing O-line talent, they certainly have.....but we can't seem to keep any 3 of them together in a game, its a bit amazing

Michael Pennix makes me think of some similarities to tua but bigger faster stronger arm. But he’s had a lot of injuries and yeah no way he falls late 1st
Yeah, I like Pennix a lot, but you're right about the injuries. This team just has to start to stay away from that type of player.

Like I said, I really like him, but I don't think his contract should be the new market setter. He isn't that type of QB. If he won't sign for less, there are questions to answer and adjustments in the plan that will have to be made.
I also think Tua has to know that McDaniel has made him. If Tua wants to play hard ball and not sign and test the market, he may get big money, but will he be successful like in Miami?
Tua is going to get paid.......but I don't see it as market setting.

It will be interesting to see how this goes

I really can’t stand this national narrative that Tua was somehow a bad qb under Flores and now is good just because McDaniel came here. I thought Tua was fine his first two years. We just had the worst oline in football and no weapons. Remember, he got pulled vs Denver in his rookie year because the line gave up 7 sacks and then there was another game where Flo pulled him for no apparent reason

I would like to see Tua with an actual good offensive line. Butch Barry still deserves his credit, but this offensive line is masked by the offensive scheme and Tua with his quick release, accuracy, and anticipation. When things are off script or we get in negative down and distances, that’s when the issues start to present themselves. These teams with overpowering defensive lines rush 3 or 4 and drop 7 to 8 in coverage. With the time that Tua has to throw, it’s literally impossible for him to make it work. When the Dolphins stay in front of the sticks, that’s when you see good drives, because the defense can’t pin it’s ears back as much.

Last edited:

Agree tho Brady had that nifty step in the pocket. Tua was quicker last season IMO.

Yep we were told the goal was to make him a dual threat by Nick hicks. That somehow changed completely to putting on weight. I don’t know why they changed the plan
me neither but a common mistake amongst trainers

Yeah, I like Pennix a lot, but you're right about the injuries. This team just has to start to stay away from that type of player.
Somebody is going to gamble and probably win. Fear has to take a back seat. There is simply so much accuracy on every type of throw, along with great decision making and patience.

Penix got knocked around on a terrible Indiana team after initially committing to Tennessee. The only reason he didn't go to Tennessee was that Butch Jones got fired and the subsequent regime had more confidence in a different guy. Penix also was recruited by Oregon and Florida State. I always like to see indications that sharp offensive minded programs knew what they were looking at, in a guy whose overall recruiting rating wasn't overly high...mixture of 3 star and 4 star.

Let's just say I hope the Patriots and Jets pass on Penix. Brainstorm some lineman who doesn't impact the scoreboard.

I like Williams then Penix. I'm not overboard on Mayes. He gives me Justin Herbert vibes as a sucker type who won't translate to the win column. Daniels is the tough call. He's got bird legs a la Devonta Smith, but also an astronomical 11.7 YPA. I've mentioned for years that 11 YPA is the new quarterback DNA toward very high draft status and likely success.

We don't throw over the middle nearly enough. It has been sickening for months. Defiantly take what you want. I was posting from late preseason 2022 that we needed to abuse the middle, before we even saw what McDaniel's offense looked like during regular season. Squeeze the percentages.

As gambler the last thing I ever want the opponent to do is a swagger play action followed by decisive dart over the middle. Look at the moronic Texas Longhorns last night. They get down to the 15 yard line with 4 plays to swipe the game. And not one of them was a pass over the middle. What a forfeit. I was loving it, as a Huskies rooter. Steve Sarkisian went back to his USC days, where the chief gripe on every Trojan forum was ridiculous tendency to throw sideways instead of straight.

The only time McDaniel has been true to himself in recent months was the final drive of the first half against the Cowboys. Everything is quick over the middle and there's not a darn thing you can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom