Brutally honest take on Tua from Asante Samuel | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brutally honest take on Tua from Asante Samuel

Gotta look at the bigger picture this year was about keeping Tua healthy which McDaniel accomplished. Every year for the past 7 years Tua has gotten hurt. So McDaniel has Tua throwing the fastest release in the NFL. The downside Tua is not targeting a reciever more a spot which takes timing and speed. Only 2 players on this squad have this speed Waddle and Hill. When they are not in its no coincidence Tua takes more sacks. It's also no coincidence the offensive line is looking much better than it has the past 10 plus years. Under Marinio the phins always had the best oline in the NFL because of Dan's quick release. So this is a 2 edged sword issue the requirements to protect Tua and cover up Griers inability to draft the oline requires our current offense but it has issues because it creates a more one dimension offense. You gotta ask yourself are better without Tua and a different offense or a healthy Tua. Last year McD got Tuas confidence back. This year he has kept him healthy really a amazing job in regards of why he was brought to Miami and how he accomplished it.

I wouldn’t give up on Tua…

But I’m not saying he’s the next GOAT either.

Right now he’s better than not. But not yet elite.

I suspect they’ll (over) pay for him.

We don't throw over the middle nearly enough. It has been sickening for months. Defiantly take what you want. I was posting from late preseason 2022 that we needed to abuse the middle, before we even saw what McDaniel's offense looked like during regular season. Squeeze the percentages.

As gambler the last thing I ever want the opponent to do is a swagger play action followed by decisive dart over the middle. Look at the moronic Texas Longhorns last night. They get down to the 15 yard line with 4 plays to swipe the game. And not one of them was a pass over the middle. What a forfeit. I was loving it, as a Huskies rooter. Steve Sarkisian went back to his USC days, where the chief gripe on every Trojan forum was ridiculous tendency to throw sideways instead of straight.

The only time McDaniel has been true to himself in recent months was the final drive of the first half against the Cowboys. Everything is quick over the middle and there's not a darn thing you can do about it.
Your totally correct. I believe I have seen some glimpse of it the past couple of games which I also have been waiting for a long time. Maybe this butt kicking by the Bolts might wake McD up to this option.

It’s easy to focus on Tua’s shortcomings but QBs with the excellent processing and average arms like Manning, Brees, etc have won plenty.

We can win a SB with Tua imo.

With respect, we have seen what other QBs can do in McDaniel's system and it's not much. However, I am not sure how we should proceed next year with Tua. When it comes time to pay the man, I feel like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. In general, I am not a fan of those HUGE QB contracts. I think it makes it harder to win because you can't surround them with talent.
What’s the alternative here?

It’s easy to focus on Tua’s shortcomings but QBs with the excellent processing and average arms like Manning, Brees, etc have won plenty.

We can win a SB with Tua imo.
Tua's processing is excellent is your eyes? Respectfully disagre, I actually feel this is a hindrance for his game and McDaniel's offense.

Tua is the best quarterback we have had since Marino, the only guy that comes close was Pennington. I am more than happy with Tua, yes, he has his faults, but his upsides outweigh his downsides.

Pocket QB requires a pocket, hence the name. Our oline injuries have made it tough on us. The depleted oline means fewer holes in the run game and less time for Tua in the pocket. When you throw in Mostert and Waddle being out things get even tougher. Conner Williams was a very big loss. Some guys aren't out but they're not 100%, Hill is gutting it out but he's playing hurt. Robert Hunt is missing from our line up. Look at the state of our offense, almost everybody is either out or playing hurt. Conner Williams and Robert Hunt are guys we must have out there playing, those guys, along with Armstead are our alpha tough guys. You need them in December and they aren't there except Armstead who's always playing through some injury problem if he out there at all.

Then we leave Chubb out there when the game is clearly out of reach. Not the smartest decision.

I really can’t stand this national narrative that Tua was somehow a bad qb under Flores and now is good just because McDaniel came here. I thought Tua was fine his first two years. We just had the worst oline in football and no weapons. Remember, he got pulled vs Denver in his rookie year because the line gave up 7 sacks and then there was another game where Flo pulled him for no apparent reason
The truth will almost always be somewhere in the middle. Flores may have gone out of his way to start this narrative. The thing is that QB stats are largely a product of the talent surrounding the QB and the offensive system or scheme that is being run. You compare Ryan Tannehill's 3rd and 4th seasons with Tua and they actually compare fairly well. Of course, we all understand these are two totally different breeds of pocket passer. Tua prefers to attack the end zone. He has fire inside him. The bottom line, however, is at the end of the day the results and production stats may not be that far apart.

That's the rub with paying a QB in this league. Tua has Hill and Waddle. Tannehill had... Wallace and Landry. It just wasn't comparable. Wallace had needs. Severe needs. He needed plays to break down and was a basket catcher. Ryan Tannehill had a cannon arm and needed a professional wide receiver rather than Wallace. Anyway. By the time Tannehill had Adam Gase for a coach, Tanny was getting hurt from the # of times he was being sacked. Sound familiar?

Tua is not Ryan Tannehill, but the results aren't very different yet. It's true that Tua could go to another team and end up in a conference championship or even the Superbowl. Oh he could. Tannehill was very close to being in the Superbowl.

I believe you approach paying these QBs similarly at least until Tua proves he's more than that.

Theres nothing brutally honest about this opinion.

When you state absolutes like "Tua will never" in context to having a good season like this again, it makes everything you say after irrelevant.

Thankfully, him stating that in the 1st 15 seconds saved me a lot of time.

No matter if you agree with him or not, if you believe Tua will "never", then your whole analysis is based off a biased opinion.

You are basing it off the Ravens game when he was missing 3 starters on O line, his #1 RB and his #2 WR.
You're not considering the Chargers game when he made plenty of things happen, off scripts without perfect conditions.

What makes the Ravens game Tua the real Tua and not the Chargers game Tua?

Yeah, because we all know TB12 was running around like Lamar for 20+ years. Some of the greatest all time couldn't get out of their own way.

Cmon man.

It's about having enough time to throw, accuracy, gameplan, health, and getting to the quarterback on Defense to win super bowls.

That's the question I have. It seems like we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.
At the end of the day, the market and your options dictate what to do here. Is he a top 5 Quarterback? Stats say he is, but depending upon his performance in the next two games, that could either solidify that opinion, or put questions on it. Is he a top 10 Quarterback if he’s not top 5? I’d say, definitely yes.

Do we have any better options on the roster or in free agency Or the draft?

We have too many needs to draft a QB high with Tua performing the way he as at least on paper with all of the Other contracts coming up. We have to draft defensive backs, Offensive linemen, Defensive linemen, linebackers, Tight end, those positions are all calling out as more of a priority than drafting a QB high.

Free agents? Who? Kurt Cousins? Is he any better than Tua? He wouldn’t even be that much cheaper. Who else?

I’m not even going to ask about who is on our own roster because there is nobody.

So then what? If he plays small in the next two games and we lose, then we can probably just do nothing with the knowledge that we can franchise him the following year if we are still uncertain.

Problem is, both of those options are horrible for our salary cap for 24 and 25. And, how will Tua feel if we don’t validate him with a contact? Will that be a poison that will have negative ramifications in the locker room and even on the field? God the narrative the media and all of the pundits had would add to that toxicity.

Considering all of that, the best thing that can happen is that Tua wins a playoff game this year, and the team signs him to a deal that the market would deem worthy of his achievements and at least a top 10 QB in this league.

And to all those who think no one else would want him, think again. Sean McVay would probably like the look of him in his system, as would others.

So, I guess well have to wait and see what happens the next couple of weeks…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom