Buffalo @ Miami Special Quarter by Quarter Review | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buffalo @ Miami Special Quarter by Quarter Review

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
OK guys some of you may or may not know I was unlucky enough to be on the road during the actual game this weekend and so was unable to see it until recently. I didn't figure the game was going to be all that interesting, especially when I checked the score just before I left Atlanta and saw that 5 minutes into the game Miami was down 14-0. I got visions of Jay Fiedler and AJ Feeley but couldn't see the actual game so I just hit the road. Somewhere along the way, I stopped at a gas station/convenience center and there was a TV on that had the Denver game on, so I sat around and waited for the score highlights at the bottom to get to Miami and to my shock I saw we won 24-23.

Due to my having to download the game to actually view this nail-biter, I got a niiiiiiice close look at things and decided to give some Quarter by Quarter observations.

FIRST QUARTER

*Travis Daniels didn't actually do such a bad job of coverage on Evans' first TD. He just timed his jump early, which to be fair (or unfair, depending on whether you're a homer or not) he's actually shown a tendency to do this season.

*Norman LeJeune bit harder than a pit bull on a raw steak on JP Losman's mediocre look-off during that play. Just makes you shake your head and wistfully remember the days of Tebucky Jones (did I just say that?)

*Travares Tillman poor technique picking up Evans in the zone coverage on a textbook Madden 2005 inside out route. Yeesh Tebucky where are you???

*Travis Daniels sure looks like he's tryin to make a statement after that deep TD.

*Jeff Zgonina is getting blocked into the next state on most plays. Ouch.

*Channing Crowder, for all the hype, has a long way to go before he becomes good in this league. All phases of his mental game appear off.

*I'm not one to ever call fumbles excusable, and when I first saw Chambers' fumble I started shaking my head in shame, but upon further review I have to give a heck of a lot of credit to the defender on that one...swung his fist into a very fast moving, very small hole. Clap clap clap.

*Is it me or do this offensive line's blocking schemes just seem ill-suited to picking up the blitzes that the Bills threw at them? Give credit to the Bills DC. Nice overload blitzes

*Run blocking looks decent this quarter. Sam Adams is a beast, though.

*Everyone on the OL was just a shade off, no single names to be called out.

*Is it me or is Gus actually looking kind of good in this quarter? The early sacks clearly affected him for later in the game.

*Running game, check. Conversion throws, check. What's missing? THE BIG PLAY.

*JP Losman looks like Jo (the bad@ss biker chick) from The Facts of Life.

SECOND QUARTER

*Sam Adams' speed setting seems to be on "Medium-Hi" compared to everyone else's "Medium"

*Continually amazed by the Bills' DC's creativity.

*Rollin rollin rollin, keep dem runners rollin WHOOPS Barnes whiffs on a block, ker-chunk backfield hit, end of drive. Any kind of negative play just seems to throw a wrench in all of our drives. It's like anything negative happens and it's an excuse for everyone to get all of their idiotic behavior out of their system in the next couple of plays.

*Steve Beurlein's got to be the smartest announcer I've heard call Dolphins games. He had some snappy analysis during the Browns game too.

*Manny says hello to the double-team. After a little bit of time and effort, Manny says goodbye to the double team. Neutralize me? Pffft.

*I feel sorry for the running back if he happened to be running toward where Manuel Wright was charging on that pitch out play. Feel sorry for the guy who tried to block him too, considering it was a meaningless block.

*Holy crap. Manny's on fire. One on one against the Center from the NT position and I feel very sorry for the Center. Did I just see him make an impact on three plays in a row WITHOUT vomiting from exhaustion? You better bet that RB will chip on Manny next time he sees him one on one with the Center...

*Ok. I feel comfortable singling out McIntosh now.

*Good lord, Manny. You can stop now. You've done enough! Chris Villarial's going to be the one crying soon.

*Why is it that Donnie Spragan always seems to make plays on the blitz? Does it twice this quarter.

*You know, we're moving the ball ok on offense, but Gus is living awful dangerous. Got lucky on what could easily have been 3 first half interceptions.

*Vernon Carey gets a single shout out too. Can't lose Kelsay on the second effort like that.

*Hey lets give a shout out to Seth McKinney while we're at it. Block someone!

*Credit Manny with hurting Jo Losman in this game. Operaman is limping around the rest of the game.

*I disagree with Beurlein about the finger. Gus seemed fine early, clearly rattled by the pressure and hitting.

*I just have a philosophical disagreement with Scott Linehan's play-calling in the red zone. Sorry. If you're going to run it on 2nd and 4 from the 6 yard line with a minute left (good idea) why the heck is it a shotgun shovel run? That's his offense, I just disagree with it. Jeezum. I think I'll go cry...then eat some spinach, lose weight, and dominate the Bills OL.

THIRD QUARTER

*Good lesson for a veteran. Ricky, when you try to pick up two blitzers coming from two different angles, and you don't commit to either of them, you're REALLY picking up neither of them. Always choose Gus' blindside. Let Gus deal with the other one.

*Why no challenge of Welker's catch? Just because it wouldn't have gotten you a first down? Take the yards! Welker's feet were inbounds and his arms came down with the ball secured inbounds sliding out of bounds. I think it would have been ruled a catch, personally.

*Hey Roscoe thanks for bailing us out on that one. Who cares about the no-challenge or false start now?

*Why can't Chambers make low catches? It baffles me. He just can't...not in his repertoire.

*As far as road block equivalents go, Manuel Wright is a cop car with guns drawn, Keith Traylor is an overturned semi, and Jeff Zgonina is a damn orange cone.

*McDougle at LT? :shakeno: Baaaaaaaaad idea.

*Who WASN'T at fault on that safety. Jeez. Vernon, you get a detention. Jeno, you get a detention. Stockar, you're suspended.

*Again, Wright pretty much just operates on the other side of the line of scrimmage. That's where you'll find him on any given play. He reminds me A LOT of Corey Simon that way. The only difference between Simon and Wright right now, in this game, is that Simon can play a whole game without getting exhausted. Someone put Wright on a stair stepper and don't let him get off until he has to sleep or crap.

*You know, I should stop talking about him, but the difference between Wright now and Wright in the preseason is like night and day. He's line up at 3-4 DE, and the guy actually was hustling from the back side of play when Losman rolls out the opposite way. I mean, Manny! Hustling!

*Look at how much Linehan is down on the sidelines talking to Sage before he comes out. It just seems like that sort of thing is one of the things we were missing prior to Scott's move to the sidelines in the Oakland game.

*Derrick Pope is really stating his case to not be taken off the field. To be completely honest, he's making more plays out there than Channing Crowder. If Crowder can play Seau's strong side spot, why not put Pope in at weakside LB in place of Channing?

*That was no exaggeration when they called that interception from Sam the turning point in the game. It absolutely was.

*Buffalo's defenders are not very well conditioned. Go hurry up without a lot of substitutions and they become cookie dough.

*OK, I'm prepared to admit it wasn't just the hurry-up offense...Sage came out really looking to make up for his awful showing against Cleveland. Good for him man. Does he remind anyone else of basically a Brad Johnson clone?

*Poor Bryan Gilmore. CHOKE (cough cough) CHOKE (cough cough) SPECIAL TEAMER (cough cough).

*The bubble above Gus Frerotte's head at the end of the third quarter as the camera pans onto him says "Why am I at a football game? I'm sweaty, I need a shower..."

FOURTH QUARTER

*OK I swear this is my last note about Wright! But man, he's hustling! I'm so shocked! He looks like...a professional. Weird.

*The Bills have great special teams.

*Someone perform the heimlich on Bryan Gilmore...

*Whoof. The Bills helped us get back in this game in a big way with penalties.

*Someone whose name I promised not to mention anymore just got into the backfield and finished what Jason Taylor started as far as pressuring the QB into a throw-away...ehem..."He's a Maaanny-ac, a MAAAAAANNNY-ac, on the floor...and he's dancin like he's never danced before..."

*He spends more damn time in the backfield than the quarterback! OK! Mouth shut...

*Reggie Howard can do anything he wants to do. Except cover receivers.

*Cough, cough, cough. Gilmore. Ok, sunfield excuse. COUGH COUGH!

*You asked for it Chris, when you pointed out that we didn't use the middle of the field enough. That hit probably made you say "Ok, we used it enough" Good catch though.

*It's not that Buffalo stopped blitzing, its that their blitzes had no more bite to them. They weren't as sharp, as fast, as timed correctly. Why? The hurry-up.

*I feel for you Wes. If you were about 6 inches taller, you'd be one of the best out there.

* Terrance McGee: "Did he just leap over me?"; Eric King: "How did my angle disintegrate so fast?"; Troy Vincent: "Man that guy's a load."

*Zgonina just can't hold his ground...and his inability to nearly cost us big as we try to stop the Jills from chewing time off the clock.

*Wow, ok, I take it back. Got in that time.

*I'm not sure how Vonnie Holliday holds his ground on the inside like he does. So much effort to do that. He gives it his all on every play. I wonder if he'll even be able to walk upright when he's 55 years old.

*Either Saban's really effing mad about that pass interference call, or he's catching flies with his hand like a frog's tongue.

*Wow. How did Daniels whip around and get his hand on that ball. Does that make up for jumping for the ball early on Lee Evans' touchdown? Maybe.

*Chambers REALLY tries to emulate Terrell Owens...and, I'd say it's working out for him.

*WOW. That really, REALLY should have been the end of the game...that interception...that was HUGE. I know the outcome, and I still think it's the end of the game.

*Oh, that's how we win anyway. Mularkstedt strikes again. 3rd and 9 draw play on a package blitz situation? Yeesh. Ye of little faith, you have a mobile QB for crying out loud. MOVE THE POCKET!

*That was one beautiful pass by Sage to Chambers. Is that really London Fletcher all the way down the field making the saving tackle where the CB could not? Wow...such hustle...amazing.

*So THATS what Sage, Chris, and Scott were discussing on the sidelines before the last drive. Sage: "Yeah I think I'll just throw it to you. LIke, on every play. That ok?" Chris: "Sure. What patterns?" Scott: "Hmm, slant and go, crossing pattern, and fade. That's about it." Chris: "Ok."

*You have GOT to be kidding me. Did Wes REALLY step out of bounds before he caught that? Cuz, I mean, seriously. Man, how do you take that play away. Sage has got to be ticked at this point...wondering why he always ends up throwing TDs to guys who stepped out of bounds before they caught the ball.

*Wow. That get's me pumped right there. What a catch, what a finish. And if that flag had turned out to be against us, I think Saban would have literally detonated on the spot. He'd have flames shooting out of the bottom of his feet, and would be flying like a rocket ship straight to bermuda.

*Look at Cleo Lemon jumping up and down man. This is still football, even if you've only been with the team for a few months, this kind of thing gets you pumped. These kinds of experiences help a team bond too.

*Look at Jo from The Facts of Life over there sulking. Maybe this was the episode where one of the girls turns up pregnant and everyone thinks it will be bad@ss Jo, but it turns out to be fat@ss Natalie...who managed to get laid before Jo somehow. Incidentally, if JP Losman ever got really chubby, he would look REAL funny, especially with that hair. What exactly do you call that hair anyway? It's not quite a jew-fro. It looks like a brunette version of Liono's hair from Thundercats. Or maybe more like Cheetara's hair. Is Losman gay? Seriously. Have you ever heard his voice? He sounds like micky mouse inhaled helium. Why does the guy grow his hair like that? Doesn't he realize the almost natural insults that will result, especially combined with his micky mouse voice? He's like the NFL's next Jeff Garcia.

THE END

Final Observations:

Why is Jeff Zgonina playing Nose Tackle? Probably because nobody else can besides Manuel Wright, and Manny might not be in shape to play a whole game yet. When Manny was in he really seemed like a Manny among boys. He operates on the other side of the offensive line at all times, a lot like Corey Simon. The big difference here was he never seemed to get tired, stop hustling, or get that "brook trout look". That could be partly because he only stayed in for three plays at a time. He is also undoubtedly in MUCH better condition...but before anyone starts calling for him to start, realize his conditioning is precisely the question, as it will do no good to give him the majority of the snaps if he reverts to sitting there looking like an out of shape wad of cookie dough instead of a pillar with the eye of the tiger. I really was not expecting Manny's performance to be THIS good. Mad props to Vonnie Holliday, I don't know how he stands up against the run the way he does but it is too bad Zgonina can't generally do the same. Putting Matt Roth in at DE helps us balance out against the run a little better with Zgonina and Holliday both still in, but our pass rush suffers for it. Wright really gives us more flexibility and dominance...I just lament that the guy doesn't have the endurance right now of a Kevin Carter or Vonnie Holliday...or even Keith Traylor. Really too bad.

Oh and shame on the media writers who blamed the Bills DC for not blitzing anymore when Sage came in. That's not what I saw. They sent at least 5 people in for pass rush on most plays, and that was the entire reason why Ronnie was open for the TD catch and run. The Bills were not in great condition. When they had to hurry up like we forced them too, THEY were the ones getting the brook trout look. Our guys on the OL just seemed better prepared to deal with endurance issues.

Game balls on defense go to Travis Daniels for making so many plays through the day, Sam Madison basically because I'm not sure I ever even saw Eric Moulds thrown at, Manuel Wright for being dominant, and Vonnie Holliday for sheer relentless effort. On offense, obviously Chris Chambers...Sage Rosenfels too. Ricky Williams was awesome for the most part. Ronnie Brown didn't quite do enough to get a game ball...but Wes Welker almost did (if he would have not gotten called out of bounds on that TD).

The Dolphins weren't having a GOOD day before they made their comeback, but they weren't being dominated either. The difference really seemed to be those two Lee Evans touchdowns on long plays...blown coverages by Tillman and LeJeune. Had Gus not gotten knocked out of the game, unlike the majority of Dolfans I got the feeling he would have had a decent chance of leading us on that comeback. He was obviously rattled from the early pressure. The OL really let him down and they should be ashamed. What a game, what a game, what a game.

nice man

I was so impressed with the way Travis Daniels rebounded after being beat early.

Damn that was long ck. :lol: But it was well worth it.

Wow, thanks for writing that up CK. Awsome to hear Wright played that well, also can you elaborate on Chambers trying to mold himself to TO? I have heard you mention it befor but never realy explain it.

Long but great read it kept me interested because I didn't think I was going to read your whole post. I know Manny played well but you mentioned his name a lot.

dolphan117 said:
Wow, thanks for writing that up CK. Awsome to hear Wright played that well, also can you elaborate on Chambers trying to mold himself to TO? I have heard you mention it befor but never realy explain it.

He really admires the way TO runs after the catch, and he has tried to emulate that. You notice it the way Chambers picks up the ball and immediately begins picking up his feet in high long strides. He's actively trying to develop the same kind of second gear that TO has. Unfortunately, that is mostly god-given, but the mere imitation of something so effective is helping Chambers be much more effective. Remember, this use to be a WR who basically fell down after every time me made a catch. Perhaps this may be one of the reasons he drops so many balls, because he's making such a conscious effort to run with the ball in his hands that he forgets to catch it, but he is very right in that the running after the catch will get you into premier status in this league.

Classic. You should do that every game. I'm a little worried about you extensive knowledge of tootie and the facts of life. Maybe a Screech,Saved by the Bell reference for the SD game.

ckparrothead said:
I really was not expecting Manny's performance to be THIS good.

That is what I have been saying. Holy crap did he exceed every expectation I had from him. I couldn't help not noticing him in the backfield and I was watching on a little tv without slowing it down. I am hoping he can improve. He has monster potential if he keeps this up.

Aww I loved how you took the crack at JP saying he would look really funny Fat

It was a great post, I didnt think Id end up reading it all but I did and im glad

ckparrothead:
*Why can't Chambers make low catches? It baffles me. He just can't...not in his repertoire.

the thing that I find interesting is how Chambers does when Sage is in.Chambers caught some really low balls by Sage all over the field that he would seem to drop with Gus throwing. There was one low pass that was a really good catch becuase he had to dive forward and scoop the ball just before it hit the dirt, becuase it was really low. Sage, however is definilty more accurate than Gus though.

Ck, I dunno what you do for a living, but ever think about being a professional scout?

Great, great thread. It makes me think we really do need to update our o line during the offseason so we don't have to depend on a simple zone blocking scheme. Also, Sam Madison is probably worth keeping until his contract runs out. He still does a good job in coverage (which is what some people have been pointing out on this board), and might be willing to restructure his contract. I'm disappointed about Crowder, but I think he's pretty green, having played only two years in college, so he has a lot of room to grow. We definitely need to get a safety and an OLB during the offseason, though. I'm beginning to believe we are not in bad shape at DT, especially with Vickerson coming back next year, although some people think if we have a chance to draft Ngata, we should do so.

Back
Top Bottom