Building for the future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building for the future

New England Fin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There has been some talk that time is running out for this Dolphin team. So I looked at our entire roster to see how old this team really is.

Here are the ages of what could be our staring group this year.

QB - AJ Feeley - 27
RB - R Williams - 27
RB - R Konrad - 27
TE - R McMichael - 25
WR - D Boston - 25
WR - C Chambers - 25
T - W Smith - 23
G - J James - 27
C - S McKinney - 25
G - G Jerman - 25
T - V Carey - 23

DE - A Ogunleye - 26
T - T Bowens - 31
T- L Chester - 28
DE - J Taylor - 29
LB - J Seau - 34
LB - Z Thomas - 30
LB - M Greenwood - 26
CB - P Surtain - 28
CB - S Madison - 30
FS - A Freeman - 27
SS - S Knight - 28

K - O Mare - 31
P - M Turk - 36

Yes, we are getting older on defense, however we are certainly grooming capable backups at most positions. Zach and Bowens are probably the biggest concerns in terms of quality backups, but the unit overall has good young depth, epecially in the secondary.

On offense, we are amazingly young. The line is very young and if allowed to grow together could really become something special - (I had to make some guesses as to who our long-term starters will be on the line). AJ is only 27 and Fiedler is only 32, which is not old by QB standards. WRs and TE are just getting their feet wet. Ricky should have 4 more good years in him.

I really don't see that time is running out on us at all. This team looks to be a contender for several years.

Very nice post, I'm glad finally someone sat down and decided to write up all the ages and post em on the board. Thanks! :D

We do have a young offense, which really did suprise me when I saw the ages of most of these guys. The ages of our defense were no suprise at all, but I believe we'll get a good number of years out of them yet. And Surtain's only 28, so thats a good relief.

Can you believe that Boston is only 25?!?! A lot of people say it takes 3 years for a WR to really mature as a NFL player. At 25 many players are just going into their 3rd year. If Boston keeps his head on straight, he could a productive WR here for a long time.

Spielman seems to be keenly aware of our future based on the guys he's picked up. Just think in a few years, we'll have a top O and a lousy D like the good ol' days :evil:

:jk:

Good stuff.However would like to point out that certain positions by nature have shorter careers such as RB.You have to ask yourself how many good years does Ricky have left.On the flip side QBs,FG Kickers and punters have longer careers.

CrunchTime said:
Good stuff.However would like to point out that certain positions by nature have shorter careers such as RB.You have to ask yourself how many good years does Ricky have left.On the flip side QBs,FG Kickers and punters have longer careers.

I agree that RB's have a shorter NFL life span but there is always the exception to the rule and I think Ricky is as tough as they come. I also think he see's this team bring in good players every year and they treat their players well, in return he plays through little nagging injurys. Ricky will have a long and excelent history with this team. It's gotta suck for the rest of the league :D

IMO the offense has to start playing much better before we start getting excited over their age

feelthepain said:
I agree that RB's have a shorter NFL life span but there is always the exception to the rule and I think Ricky is as tough as they come. I also think he see's this team bring in good players every year and they treat their players well, in return he plays through little nagging injurys. Ricky will have a long and excelent history with this team. It's gotta suck for the rest of the league :D
PLus i believe were finally gonna have a passing game this year. If tht does come tru, Ricky will have a lot lighter of a load. The same would also go if our backup RB's and Konrad get a few carries.

New England Fin said:
There has been some talk that time is running out for this Dolphin team. So I looked at our entire roster to see how old this team really is.

Here are the ages of what could be our staring group this year.

QB - AJ Feeley - 27
RB - R Williams - 27
RB - R Konrad - 27
TE - R McMichael - 25
WR - D Boston - 25
WR - C Chambers - 25
T - W Smith - 23
G - J James - 27
C - S McKinney - 25
G - G Jerman - 25
T - V Carey - 23

DE - A Ogunleye - 26
T - T Bowens - 31
T- L Chester - 28
DE - J Taylor - 29
LB - J Seau - 34
LB - Z Thomas - 30
LB - M Greenwood - 26
CB - P Surtain - 28
CB - S Madison - 30
FS - A Freeman - 27
SS - S Knight - 28

K - O Mare - 31
P - M Turk - 36

Yes, we are getting older on defense, however we are certainly grooming capable backups at most positions. Zach and Bowens are probably the biggest concerns in terms of quality backups, but the unit overall has good young depth, epecially in the secondary.

On offense, we are amazingly young. The line is very young and if allowed to grow together could really become something special - (I had to make some guesses as to who our long-term starters will be on the line). AJ is only 27 and Fiedler is only 32, which is not old by QB standards. WRs and TE are just getting their feet wet. Ricky should have 4 more good years in him.

I really don't see that time is running out on us at all. This team looks to be a contender for several years.
Player 30 or older-
T.Bowens---draft next year
J.Seau---Eddie Moore
Z.Thomas---Tony Bua ?
S.Madison---Reggie Howard/Will Poole

I didnt count Olindo and Turk cuz of there longer NFL life span. We really dont look as old as everyone says. The 2 big questions are do u think Zach can go as long someone like Seau? And is Bua a realistic replacement for Zach, or jus an outstanding ST'er?

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
IMO the offense has to start playing much better before we start getting excited over their age
This offense has never played together. But I think we have to be somewhat excited by the fact that we have brought in James (27), Boston (25) and Feeley (27). Also, most would agree that our o-line certainly can't be any worse than last year's o-line, and that the line should get better every year.

I hope Ricky has 4 more good years left. Wanny gave him a beating last year. Hopefully the WR corps can put up big plays and take pressure off Ricky.

I am *REALLY* concerned about Ricky's workload. I'm hoping to take some time to write up something more detailed on this. But for now, suffice to say that 27 year old RBs with as much mileage as Ricky has on the tires do not generally age well. He should be fine this year, maybe next year as well. But by 2006 we need to pick an heir apparent.

FinFan24 said:
Player 30 or older-
T.Bowens---draft next year
J.Seau---Eddie Moore
Z.Thomas---Tony Bua ?
S.Madison---Reggie Howard/Will Poole

I didnt count Olindo and Turk cuz of there longer NFL life span. We really dont look as old as everyone says. The 2 big questions are do u think Zach can go as long someone like Seau? And is Bua a realistic replacement for Zach, or jus an outstanding ST'er?

Bua is probably just a special teamer...but then most would have said the same thing about Zach when he was originally drafted in the 5th round, like Bua. So who knows?

We need to make DT a top draft priority next year. Don't forget that not only is Bowens getting old, but top backup Jeff Zgonina is 34, too.

If they use ricky like they did in '03 it should prolonge his career by a few years. A few more years of over 400 carries a year won't do it. Wanny is such an idiot when it comes to having the pulse of the team. It seams like he coaches scared!

Back
Top Bottom