Building on Strengths not Focusing in weaknesses | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building on Strengths not Focusing in weaknesses

mialuv13

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was watching an interview with Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz (Lions GM and Head Coach Respectively) about their draft strategy and how they got this team to where it is now. Shwartz said something that stuck with me and I had to bring it up.

He said that instead of focusing on the weaknesses the team decided to focus on their strengths. This made me think (other than the fact that the Lions have been horrible and have had multiple top 10 picks since the beginning of time), maybe that is something this team should consider. I know that this strategy probably doesn't work in most circumstances, and the Lions have had so many top picks at their disposal that they were bound to be good at some point.

That being said the Lions D-line is menacing. They play with a type of swagger and mentality like they are out to break the other teams bones. I love it. I was hoping the Phins would have a chance to be this good.

I presented this topic to ask everyone to look at what our strength was this off-season (I know I know, coulda, shoulda, woulda), and what our strengths (if we have any) are now and how we should have and can build on it to become a better team. I also wanted to see this boards' opinion on building on strengths rather than gap-filling weaknesses.

**Side note try not to focus on the glaring weaknesses this team obviously has. We all know that this team has more holes than swiss cheese. There are enough threads about how this team is doomed to painful mediocrity or worse. This team obviously needs to find some kind of foundation before they start building on it. **

I'll go ahead and start. We should build around Fields since he has been the only productive part of this team. Haha. Jk (not really). I can't really think of any strengths, but thats where I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on the topic.

We did that when we drafted Odrick. The difference between our picks and theirs was about 20 spots, and they got a player 20 times better in Suh.

We did that when we drafted Odrick. The difference between our picks and theirs was about 20 spots, and they got a player 20 times better in Suh.

Thats what I was thinking. But at this point what are the build-on-able strengths? Personally I go after a weakness

There is no blueprint formula for success.

They have had so many high picks in the last 5-10 years the benefit is that they have finally started hitting on them.
First Calvin Johnson, then Stafford, then Suh.
These guys are growing into stars.

We don't need a strategy as much as we simply need to have hits on draft day.

Their first round picks: good players who are on the field and play well in the clutch.

Our first round picks: on the bench with sore hamstrings.

The end.

Their first round picks: good players who are on the field and play well in the clutch.

Our first round picks: on the bench with sore hamstrings.

The end.

Apples to Oranges.

Matt Stafford #1 overal
N. Suh #2 overall but considered by most the most can't miss prospect.
Calvin Johnson #2 Overall

The only Dolphin in that range during those years was Jake Long. Who regardless of where you fall on the whole Long vs. Ryan decision Long is an All Pro and generally comparable to those picks.

If we get the #1-#2 overall pick for the next three years I imagine we will have a pretty solid nucleus to.

miamis draft philosophy quantity over quality...bad recipe

Bingo! I was upset with the 2010 draft when we traded when Earl Thomas was there. I like more draft picks, but not when we're passing on playmakers and Pro Bowlers for just okay players

Bill Parcells said when he came .... "There's no one to build on." I posted a couple times, we'd have 80% turnover (shot low so Homers wouldn't have a cow) before we even got decent, people scoffed. Our turnover has been well over 100%+ since then. That doesn't mean everyone, just means some positions experienced turnover multiple times ... like our Guards & Safeties.

After Parcells FUBAR ... there's a few young players to build on, who have not played well. We need another 100% turnover to get decent.

We need a QB & some cornfed O-Line, along with our young players progressing ... that will be a foundation to build on. Sigh ... one day in a time far, far away.

All right I'll give it a shot. I think this offense could be really good with a few more pieces and the right coaches. Long and Pouncey are a good foundation to our O-line and I believe Vernon will/would be much better with a quality right tackle next to him. Bush could be a great weapon if Daboll knew how to use him and even though we've seen just a small dose of Daniel Thomas, he looks like he could be the real deal. We know Marshall has the potential for greatness (as he showed in Denver) and Bess is a great slot receiver. Gates has the speed we needed but needs some more time to develop. I know Hartline takes a lot of flak but the guy makes some amazing catches. I know there are several holes to fill (Coach, QB, TE, RT) but I believe there is certainly a foundation to build on.

Bring in a competent coach and draft a quality QB and this offense could possibly be very dangerous. Look what Harbaugh has done for the 49ers.

If we get the #1-#2 overall pick for the next three years I imagine we will have a pretty solid nucleus to.

That.

It's really hard to screw up those picks.

Let's talk building on our strengths. One thing that stands out is the need for somebody to get the people we have already to play ball. Discipline has been a big problem for this team. There is no way our D should be laying down the way that it has. I place the blame on the 'captain of the ship' Tony Sparano.

Build on our strengths? Great so we our going to build a team around our punter?

IMO, picking at the top of every round makes any draft strategy look better. I think drafting quantity over quality is ok if you are 1-15, but after that it just keeps you in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom