Building through the draft, Really...? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building through the draft, Really...?

dolphans1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Building through the draft, Really...?

Hey I keep reading all these posts, about building through the draft and I really want to hear your arguments as to why you feel that is really doable.

Within the last 10 years, who have we drafted that really panned out to be a great football player?

We all know you need an elite QB to win consistently, but they don't come easy.

You can blame Ireland for trading players for nothing and making the wrong picks, but not to long ago, fans in NY were saying Eli Manning was a bust and fire Tom Coughlin.

I feel a lot of it is luck.

With the salary cap, free agency and injuries, its impossible to build a team through the draft, its a combination of a lot of different things.

Peyton Manning is the new Lebron James.

d-1

Yup we are building through the draft, which is a clear contradiction to, we are in win now mode...the general motto a few weeks back....translation, we are confused on which identity to assume

We have always been building through the draft with this regime, but now we are fully committed to it. Do you think its a coincidence that we just got around to drafting skill players?

You draft lineman, dbs first because they generally have longer shelf lives than RBs and WRs at least as far as playing in their prime goes, and on a long term rebuild you have to take that into account. Its really disheartening how idiotic these fans have become.

We have always been building through the draft with this regime, but now we are fully committed to it. Do you think its a coincidence that we just got around to drafting skill players?

You draft lineman, dbs first because they generally have longer shelf lives than RBs and WRs at least as far as playing in their prime goes, and on a long term rebuild you have to take that into account. Its really disheartening how idiotic these fans have become.
As Sparano's chief jock-sniffer around here, you're hardly in a position to talk about "idiotic fans."

Yup we are building through the draft, which is a clear contradiction to, we are in win now mode...the general motto a few weeks back....translation, we are confused on which identity to assume
Thank you.

They are not building through the draft. Ireland is trying to bandage his mistakes. That's what happens when there is no clear cut plan.

I'm thinking that you should just jump to another team since you've mentioned in several threads about how idiotic and pathetic Dolphins fans are

Only thing we really could have done was tried to move up this years draft to try and get RG3, but I'm not really sold on him totally, I would hate to learn if the real reason we traded Brandon Marshall was to save cap space for Manning. Given up Brandon Marshall and switch # 1's picks...?

the line it is impossible to build through the draft is not true at all. When the Steelers beat the Cardinals a few years ago to win the Super Bowl they had 4 significant contributors who were not drafted by the franchise or signed as a UDFA; James Farrior (who had been with the Steelers for a long time), Keyaron Fox, Ryan Clark, and Mewelde Moore. The Packers when they beat the Steelers? 3; James Kuhn, Ryan Pickett, and Charles Woodson. The Colts when they won? Adam Vinitieri and Anthony McFarland. Hell teams like the Giants and Patriots built their Super Bowl winning teams around guys they drafted and plugged in bargain pick up free agents.

No they're not confused, you guys are. Philbin from day one has stressed the importance of the draft and this is his team now as people seem to continuously be forgetting. People keep bringing up 10 years, but we've had 4 different coaches during that period and its been a complete mess of philosophies and approaches.

If you think building through the draft is dumb, what are you suggesting?

G.B. Pitt, N.E. all built their core via the draft

If you think building through the draft is dumb, what are you suggesting?

G.B. Pitt, N.E. all built their core via the draft

Those teams seem to have competent people in charge of building through the draft. We will we see some results of out building? Ireland has brought mediocre players in and we were a mediocre team throughout his oversight.

The problem with building through the draft is having someone in charge of the draft that selects the right guys most of the time...and especially at the top of the draft.
The Fins need a new GM. Ireland has too much baggage from the Dez Bryant snafu. He alone is causing the franchise harm when it comes to free agents.

Those teams seem to have competent people in charge of building through the draft. We will we see some results of out building? Ireland has brought mediocre players in and we were a mediocre team throughout his oversight.
Thats not what I asked. The OP said that he didn't believe that building through the draft was "doable". I then asked what his suggestion would be?

Back
Top Bottom