Building through the draft, Really...? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building through the draft, Really...?

I do not think that the Packer had even one free agent starter on their team this season. So much for can't build though the draft. IMO, most free agents are expensive quick fixes. The whole idea of building a long running, winning franchise is to draft well and and SIGN ROOKIES to long term contracts. It is true that we have not drafted well in a long time. IMO, we are still reeling from the lost season with Cam Cameron. But he do have different people in the front office now. And we can either give up or keep trying.

I'm thinking that you should just jump to another team since you've mentioned in several threads about how idiotic and pathetic Dolphins fans are

Same could be said for the constant baby wailing going on about Ireland.

Building through the draft is a smart way to go about things. It helps with cap issues because you are not handing out those big contracts to free agents. Also when you do hand out big contracts, you are usually doing it to retain the players you drafted after their first contract expires.

In a perfect world, free agency would be to add depth to the team, not to replace half the team's starters. The problem with what the Dolphins are doing is that they seem to be chasing players in free agency to be starters, but after failing to add them are using the draft as a safety net. If I were Ireland and I wanted to save my job, I would pretty much ignore free agency and the backlash it brings. Go completely into "Build through the draft mode" and "retain our players mode" and only use free agency as depth and hole filling. That is sort of being done with the addtions of Marshall, Hicks, and Westerman. Though the problem is that doesn't appear to be the inital plan that Ireland set out on.

It appeared the team wanted to add their starting quarterback to take the job from Moore in free agency. Obviously Manning had no interest, and we may never know the true reason Flynn didn't come. Was it money? Was it really that he didn't like Ireland? Or was it that Philbin didn't see him as a franchise quarterback? He also made a hail mary throw for Alex Smith, but we all knew he was never really going to leave San Francisco. So by default we got Garrard. Maybe he will surprise everyone, including myself and become a great addition. I am not so sure of that. However, while there doesn't seem to be a huge quarterback upgrade this year, it does appear Ireland is forced to make a move in the draft.

If Tannehill falls to #8 and Miami drafts him, it is very possible our quarterback position for the future could finally be settled for the first time since Marino.

We have always been building through the draft with this regime, but now we are fully committed to it. Do you think its a coincidence that we just got around to drafting skill players?

You draft lineman, dbs first because they generally have longer shelf lives than RBs and WRs at least as far as playing in their prime goes, and on a long term rebuild you have to take that into account. Its really disheartening how idiotic these fans have become.

western ny's are ahead of the curve. im with ya my man.

Well, we've drafted a lot of players with opposite results. Every team someone brings up, has an elite QB.

Look what Bret Favre did, when many said he was washed up.

The point I'm making is, it takes a combination of a lot of things.

Trading All Pro receivers, like Welker, Marshall, possibly Ted Ginn JR, proves my point, you can only keep them for a few years.

D-1

the line it is impossible to build through the draft is not true at all. Whenhe Steelers beat the Cardinals a few years ago to win the Super Bowl they had 4 significant contributors who were not drafted by the franchise or signed as a UDFA; James Farrior (who had been with the Steelers for a long time), Keyaron Fox, Ryan Clark, and Mewelde Moore. The Packers when they beat the Steelers? 3; James Kuhn, Ryan Pickett, and Charles Woodson. The Colts when they
won? Adam Vinitieri and Anthony McFarland. Hell teams like the Giants and Patriots built their Super Bowl winning teams around guys they drafted and plugged in bargain pick up free agents.

The problem with building through the draft is having someone in charge of the draft that selects the right guys most of the time...and especially at the top of the draft.
The Fins need a new GM. Ireland has too much baggage from the Dez Bryant snafu. He alone is causing the franchise harm when it comes to free agents.

actually, I think the FA market sucks. outrageous money for the upper crust, and half the league is strapped. So players like Flynn didnt have a whole lot of places to go. two. One didnt want him. so he goes out and says a guy like Pete Carroll made him comfortable and he just felt better about Seattle.

What BS!!!

We have always been building through the draft with this regime, but now we are fully committed to it. Do you think its a coincidence that we just got around to drafting skill players?

You draft lineman, dbs first because they generally have longer shelf lives than RBs and WRs at least as far as playing in their prime goes, and on a long term rebuild you have to take that into account. Its really disheartening how idiotic these fans have become.

We don't have to worry about the shelf life our our draftees because none of them are good enough to last past their initial training camp. ireland's draftees are busts long before "shelf life" becomes an issue.

Back
Top Bottom