Bumphis Interview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bumphis Interview

footsteps_falco

Damn SugarBowl
Club Member
Reaction score
Really cool, in depth interview with bumphis about transitioning from college to the dolphins. Last couple finsiders interviews have been a bit weak, this is a really good one, bumphis seems like a really smart player, sounds like he really values the opportunity and wants to take advantage of every rep. Definitely a keeper. going to get better every week if we invest in him. [video]http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/audio/Bumphis-Looking-To-Make-Most-Of-Opportunity/c3e01da8-3e41-479c-b154-16f5d7c894f3[/video]

Seen the interview as well...like most being consistent is key.

The difference between Chad Bumphis and other training camp heroes of the past to me is that we've already seen Bumphis perform.

With other guys in the past like Chris Hogan, you kept hearing about him and you kept seeing him on Hard Knocks, and all you wanted to happen in preseason was to see this guy get some balls thrown his direction, get some opportunities, and then SEE what he does. You want to SEE if he capitalizes on those opportunities. But it usually never happens, or when it does it's pretty milquetoast. Chris Hogan made like ONE play in preseason that was worthy of any kind of note. Hell, Michael Egnew could do that even as a rookie. And when I looked at Roberto Wallace's catches, what I saw were catches...but not play making. I saw the defense giving up space freely and the quarterback doing a good job dropping the ball in there.

Chad Bumphis on the other hand has already gotten opportunities, already been fed the ball, and already made plays. He made the plays too, nobody else did. It wasn't necessarily the defense giving up the plays, or the quarterback making it easy for him.

I think he has quite literally made something above-normal happen every time the ball has been thrown to him, except one time...the play where he popped it up and there was a defender waiting to grab it out of the air.

The other play he had deep that was a near interception, he actually did good on that play. The corner had deep leverage on the play and the quarterback needed to throw it back shoulder, but he didn't. He threw the fade instead. Chad Bumphis could not hope to get position on the ball, but he fought and scrapped and used his hands to get whatever position or leverage he possibly could on the ball, and that's the reason the corner could not come down with the ball with both feet inbounds. So many receivers out there would be thrown that ball and just run out the route and watch as the defender came down with it. There was a desperation in Bumphis' physicality and hand work on the play that made it too difficult for the corner to stay in bounds and come down with it.

Then on the catches, he's created 3 missed tackles already, which currently leads the NFL amongst wide receivers in preseason. That's what I mean by the guy creating plays and not just accepting plays that have already been made for him. Did he get that 1st down on 4th down? No he missed it by inches. But he was HAMMERED immediately after catching that ball, and he held on. That's what I mean by above-normal. Against the Jaguars he was only in for 5 pass snaps but was targeted twice and made a really great grab over the seam for a 23 yard catch and run, and then on a 3rd & 2 he caught a ball that was placed way too high to where he had to jump, the defender got on him and by all means it looked like he might be tackled short of the 1st down because of the bad ball placement, but he planted his feet, swiveled and lunged for that extra yard to make it a 3 yard catch and a 1st down. That's above-normal. That 45 yard play in the first game, that was above-normal.

So that's really the difference between this guy and guys you've seen in the past that have drawn the rave reviews in camp but either never got the opportunities in preseason or just didn't make anything great looking happen when they did.

Excellent analysis ck, totally agree! I'm a big Bama fan and watched a lot of SEC football and all I know is that Bumphis was always making plays and he seems to be doing the same thing in the NFL; so far! I think this kid makes the team and will contribute to Miami's success this year. BTW he was a great return man at Miss St also.

At this stage it's Bumphis or Tyms for the last WR slot on the roster. Tyms is taller and more athletic but Bumphis seems pretty reliable with good hands and he can take the hard hits. Best man wins (and the loser goes to the practice squad).

I see him as our slot guy that will eventually take Brandon Gipson's place in the 3 WR set. He has the natural feel of how to find the soft spots and get open.

I see him as our slot guy that will eventually take Brandon Gipson's place in the 3 WR set. He has the natural feel of how to find the soft spots and get open.
Eliminate your thoughts that Bumphis is going to take Gibson's slot role. Only an injury makes this happen. Brandon Gibson is going to be good.

Eliminate your thoughts that Bumphis is going to take Gibson's slot role. Only an injury makes this happen. Brandon Gibson is going to be good.

Much of fh seems to have decided to hate on gibson.... I have no idea why

Much of fh seems to have decided to hate on gibson.... I have no idea why
My read is that between Philbin and Sherman they are pretty good at identifying precisely what they want in WR's. It was a major strength in Green Bay and they are progressively building talent here. After signing Wallace for $60M and re-signing Hartline there was not a pressing need to get Gibson with Bess still on the roster. However, they really, really wanted Gibson as well, even though there were a lot of good WR's coming up in the draft and they had a lot of draft picks. I will be totally shocked if Gibson doesn't do well.

My read is that between Philbin and Sherman they are pretty good at identifying precisely what they want in WR's. It was a major strength in Green Bay and they are progressively building talent here. After signing Wallace for $60M and re-signing Hartline there was not a pressing need to get Gibson with Bess still on the roster. However, they really, really wanted Gibson as well, even though there were a lot of good WR's coming up in the draft and they had a lot of draft picks. I will be totally shocked if Gibson doesn't do well.

You could be right. But I think between Legedu Naanee, B.J. Cunningham, Anthony Armstrong and Jabbar Gaffney, last year they definitely had a bit more trouble than being advertised determining what it is exactly that they're looking for at that position. At the very least they proved they're not beyond reproach.

You could be right. But I think between Legedu Naanee, B.J. Cunningham, Anthony Armstrong and Jabbar Gaffney, last year they definitely had a bit more trouble than being advertised determining what it is exactly that they're looking for at that position. At the very least they proved they're not beyond reproach.
CK, you should have been a lawyer. You are skilled at recalling errors. They kept looking for extra WR talent last year but none of those guys lasted long. Omar Kelly had already written Legadu's introductory speech for the HOF in Canton.

Can't help but notice that all of our draft picks the past 3 years are extremely well spoken, articulate, knowledgeable and just seem like decent dudes. Love the way this team is being built.

Ireland + Philbin = Good Chit

Can't help but notice that all of our draft picks the past 3 years are extremely well spoken, articulate, knowledgeable and just seem like decent dudes. Love the way this team is being built.

Ireland + Philbin = Good Chit

ITS!MATEO is 100% correct, again. Ireland read the memo requesting more intelligent, articulate, decent dudes that can play. Maybe Jeff's special interview question (Dez Bryant remembers it) has helped to more clearly identify the decent dudes.
After hearing the likes of Will Davis and Chad Bumphis interviewed, one can't help but root for them to succeed.

It's unlikely that they keep 6 on the 53, but considering that 11 package could be well used, who knows.

But I certainly would like a packing of the following.

Wallace - Tyms
Gibson - Bumphis
Hartline - Matthews

It's unlikely that they keep 6 on the 53, but considering that 11 package could be well used, who knows.

But I certainly would like a packing of the following.

Wallace - Tyms
Gibson - Bumphis
Hartline - Matthews

So would I....I'd also like to see us quick snap and go fast tempo like the pats...if the nfl is gonna let the pats repeatedly snap the ball not even being set for a full second I want in on that action with Miami...

But I don't know if the staff feels like tannehill is quite ready yet to process all that info at the Los that fast paced yet...still would love to see it...kill teams with tempo the way the pats do

Back
Top Bottom