Bush and Thomas need to be on the field together | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bush and Thomas need to be on the field together

NoblePhin

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Man just when I thought what a good job our FO did to bring in such a dynamic player, come to find out that instead of playing to his strengths, we fill his head with dreams of being a power inside runner.... Now every time Bush is on the field no one is really scared of him, everyone knows he can't run inside and it negates all of his strengths! Then we have him as our back in the shotgun and just have him run check down routes or pass block, he has become threatless in our offensive scheme. Dare I say, that it might be a good time to bring back the wildcat? Think about it, we now have a back in Thomas that doesn't dance around but quickly gets into his cuts and gets positive yards in a punishing style up the middle, and a back in Bush who has exceptional speed coming off the sweep and makes dazzling plays in space. Not to mention we have lineman that are built to run block, and one of the best blocking WRs in the game. IDK, but I think it would be pretty damn sweet. Even if there is no wildcat, we still need to have formations where both guys are out of the field. That halfback draw out of the shotgun was very effective in houston with DT, we need to start using Bush as a 4th WR more in shotgun, and just overall make more mismatches out of him. If I was reggie I would be asking why in the hell did I even come here, because he just sat there the whole 2nd half on the sideline. How, when we desperately need long plays and touchdowns, can we just have our 2nd most dynamic player sitting on the sidelines watching our offense desperately fighting for yrds and scores? No idea, and once again tony is in a conundrum with what he wants out of his offense. Its really not that hard man, but its like we can't have balance, tony has no concept of that. It's either all power running or all shotgun 4 wr sets and pass pass pass pass. He was scared of being too one dimensional and we are stuck in the same situation now!
:hclap:

I think there's some merit to it, especially since Thomas was a QB in high school and JUCO and can probably add the threat of the pass to the formation, which is essential to making it work IMO. Bush is the perfect player for the jet sweep.

AMEN! this is one of the reasons why i have now officially and finally joined the anti-regime crowd after the last game.

just b/c D. Thomas has a good showing between the tackles you completly shelve Bush????? WTF! that defeats the entire purpose of having the 2-headed attack! they brought bush back in once or twice and tried him up the middle again . what . on. . earth?? if these guys dont find a way to get them both in the game the they are officially fools. I mean if i'm ross i go in there and tell them myself . . it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see these things.

the fact that Thomas looks tough between the tackles and the line actually looked ok with him in there, coupled with the fact that reggie has looked GREAT outside and catching check downs should make this offense very good, but instead we are one dimensional one way or the other. utilize your players!

I think there's some merit to it, especially since Thomas was a QB in high school and can probably add the threat of the pass to the formation, which is essential to making it work IMO.

yea just what we need to run more friggin wildcat lol. Thomas is not an nfl caliber passer so why do teams need to really respect him if he lines up to get the ball. Single cover receivers and force danial thomas to beat u with his arm. If i were a defensive coordinator i would salivate with Miami basically not having a qb on the field or at least a guy that is not even close to an nfl qb on the field.

yea just what we need to run more friggin wildcat lol. Thomas is not an nfl caliber passer so why do teams need to really respect him if he lines up to get the ball. Single cover receivers and force danial thomas to beat u with his arm. If i were a defensive coordinator i would salivate with Miami basically not having a qb on the field or at least a guy that is not even close to an nfl qb on the field.
I don't think Thomas has to be an NFL-caliber passer to keep defenses honest.

I like having both of them in shot gun with the recievers wide.

Lots of draws and screen passes.

I don't think Thomas has to be an NFL-caliber passer to keep defenses honest.

why double cover anybody if u dont have a good quarterback that can make the throws. Putting danial Thomas at wildcat doesnt make anybody respect the pass, single cover players and u can actually play the run better.

D Coordinators were'nt salivating over facing the wildcat when we used it properly. We took our QB out, everyone knew we were going to run, and the formation STILL averaged 6.8 yrds a carry. It works, we just out thought ourselves so much that we forgot when and how to use it. Now we have way more speed on the jet sweep that will keep D's honest with the blitz. Hell, D thomas doesn't have to be a great QB to throw Bush a nice little screen pass.

why double cover anybody if u dont have a good quarterback that can make the throws. Putting danial Thomas at wildcat doesnt make anybody respect the pass, single cover players and u can actually play the run better.
The Wildcat works for 4 to 5 yards a pop, and the occasional long run, when defenses aren't selling out against the run with run blitzes and corner blitzes.

Remember, if defenses play it straight up and defend the pass as well, you have the additional blocker afforded by the Wildcat. That's what made it work in the first place.

I like having both of them in shot gun with the recievers wide.

Lots of draws and screen passes.

Wildcat aside, I also think this is the best formation for them. you have draws up the middle, or screens to bush, or taking bush out wide. SO many options just out of that one formation its ridiculous.

why not try it? I mean what we are doin right now isnt working too well... i think next week at the browns would be the perfect time to try the bush-thomas wildcat

D Coordinators were'nt salivating over facing the wildcat when we used it properly. We took our QB out, everyone knew we were going to run, and the formation STILL averaged 6.8 yrds a carry. It works, we just out thought ourselves so much that we forgot when and how to use it. Now we have way more speed on the jet sweep that will keep D's honest with the blitz. Hell, D thomas doesn't have to be a great QB to throw Bush a nice little screen pass.

Yea the wildcat is so awesome teams use it all the time in the nfl and its unstoppable. Thats sarcasm, wildcat is no more than a trick play now, teams have caught on how to defend it. Yea u have an extra blocker but they also can cheat some in pass defense because they know damn well that Danial Thomas cannot make the pases that an average or even below average nfl qb can make. At that time it did average that much per carry but after a while when teams worked against it, it wasnt even close to that successful. This is one of the main reasons we were 7-9 the past two years because instead of building an offense we focused on a gadget type play that basically gave teams a big loud signal that we were not throwing the ball downfield and because Freeman was a high school qb or even a college qb thats not going to make teams put more than one man on any receiver because they know he will not be as precise as a real nfl qb.

Yea the wildcat is so awesome teams use it all the time in the nfl and its unstoppable. Thats sarcasm, wildcat is no more than a trick play now, teams have caught on how to defend it. Yea u have an extra blocker but they also can cheat some in pass defense because they know damn well that Danial Thomas cannot make the pases that an average or even below average nfl qb can make. At that time it did average that much per carry but after a while when teams worked against it, it wasnt even close to that successful. This is one of the main reasons we were 7-9 the past two years because instead of building an offense we focused on a gadget type play that basically gave teams a big loud signal that we were not throwing the ball downfield and because Freeman was a high school qb or even a college qb thats not going to make teams put more than one man on any receiver because they know he will not be as precise as a real nfl qb.

Situational, it is a force. We have a whole new dynamic to the wildcat this year- speed. Not only can we do a sweep, but we can run a screen pass. Having DT fake give the sweep, act like he's going to run up the middle and then have the pursuit coming towards him, but then just a little dump off back to reggie now with an open field and marshall and fasano and pouncey leading the way. Heck, even a WR screen to marshall would be great. DT fakes to bush, marshall is blocking but then drops back for the pass, and then you have either fasano or a fully running bush crack down on the corner. Wildcat is not a gimmick, you could see the power it had by almost every team developing their own version of it. Goaline, wildcat should be one of the first formations we should be thinking about. Once again, I'm just wanting to see our players being utilized by their strengths, not weaknesses. You can't argue that Reggie Bush is better running straight up the middle than Reggie bush running the sweep out of the wildcat, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom