Busy off-season. How would you rate it? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Busy off-season. How would you rate it?

PhinCanuck

Dolfan in Canada
Reaction score
We have had a busy off-season. Many things have happen in the Dolphins Nation. Since our last game against the Colts, multiple things have happened. A Super Bowl was played at Dolphin Stadium, Saban denied three times that he was going to Alabama, but finally decided to go to the Tide. JT contemplated retirement. Huizenga contemplated selling the franchise, just kidding. He stated he was committed to the Dolphins and to winning. He embarked, along with the FO, in a trip that took him to Costa Rica and to 7 other destinations. He brought Cam Cameron to Miami to become the new Miami Dolphins Head Coach. Capers decided to stay as the DC and got paid like a head coach. Cameron brought two new assistants: Terry Robiskie as the wide receivers coach and Brett Maxie as safeties coach. It was decided that Randy Mueller would remain as GM, but he was not extended his contract. However, he has given complete control over personnel decisions.
In February, it was announced that Miami would play a home game against the NYG at Wembley Stadium in London, England. A week later, the Dolphins added Terry Shea as QB coach and Brad Ohrt as strength and conditioning coach. The Phins signed seven free agents early in February, among them former Oakland and San Diego LB Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, WR P.K. Sam (Yes!!) and DT Steve Fifita. The Fins also re-signed DT Vonnie Holliday (March 1st). On the same day, they released offensive linemen Seth McKinney and Bennie Anderson. They also waived WR Eric Kimble. Mueller seemed to have fun making big decisions and the following day he released DE Kevin Carter and G Jeno James. A few days later (March 5th), Mueller made many of us happy, and he decided to release QB Joey Harrington. However, he also pi$$ed a lot of people off because in the same day he also released TE Randy McMichael. As if these moves were not enough, the Dolphins dealt receiver Wes Welker to the New England Patriots for their second- and seventh-round draft picks in April. New England's second-round pick was No. 60 overall (Welcome Home Satele).
In order to replace McMichael, the Dolphins inked TE David Martin from Green Bay. The following day, Cameron and Mueller delighted the Dolfans by agreeing on a five year deal with LB Joey Porter. The Dolphins lost Sammie Morris to the Pats, and Travis Minor and Donnie Jones to the Rams. Miami also welcomed K Jay Feely and re-signed DT Keith Traylor. The Dolphins also signed DT Kevin Vickerson and re-signed FB Kyle Eckel and CB Michael Lehan.
Unfortunately, not all was good news, on March 18th, Dolfan Denny died at age 72. Denny led Miami crowds in cheers and chants in his glittering orange and aqua hat since the Dolphins' first game in 1966, starting in the stands. April came along, a much anticipated month by football fans, especially for Miami fans. Ricky Williams applied for reinstatement. Also, the dreams and thoughts of many in the Phins Nation turned to a QB who played football in South Bend, Indiana. On April 20th, the Dolphins released RB coach Bobby Williams from their coaching staff. Three days later, the Dolphins signed WR Az-Zahir Hakim and G Chris Liwienski and re-signed LS John Denney. Mueller also got a pick for K Olindo Mare and sent him to New Orleans. Before the draft, Miami signed C Johnathan Ingram and RB Ray Perkins. On April 25th, the Dolphins re-signed LB Donnie Spragan and brought in Bobby Jackson as the RB coach. On April 28th, Christmas Day. With the 9th overall pick, the Dolphins selected WR / KR / PR Ted Ginn Jr. from Ohio State University. But they did not select Brady Quinn. Many fans let Coach Cam who disappointed they were: They Booed! (I booed at them). Miami also drafted QB John Beck, BYU, C Samson Satele, Hawaii, RB Lorenzo Booker, FSU, DT Paul Soliai, Utah, FB Reagan Mauia, Hawaii, C / G Andrew Mormino, Central Michigan, LB Kelvin Smith, Syracuse, P Brandon Fields, MSU, and DE Abraham Wright, Colorado.
On April 30th, two Dolphins players had surgery, DT Keith Traylor and OT Anthony Alabi both underwent arthroscopic procedures. In May, Ted Ginn Jr. changed his jersey number from #11 to #19 to honour his dad, P.K. Sam has been leaving his mark in NFL Europa, Jason Taylor and Renaldo Hill were honoured by the team, Andre Goodman had surgery in his shoulder (again), Mueller unretired #12 to honour Governor Crist (He called Griese in NC, it’s all good). We have also picked CB Derrick Johnson from waivers, and signed the sons of Hall of Fame athletes. The HOFAs: WR James Lofton and NBA legend Moses Malone. The college free agents: S David Lofton and WR Michael Malone. Last but not least, the team signed S Yeremiah Bell to a 1 year deal.
In the midst of all that has happened, many things still have not happened. Culpepper has not left, Green has not been traded (although the trade is imminent since March), Lemon has not signed his tendered contract and Ricky has not smoked weed for many years. It is funny because while he has stated this to Terrell Davis and all his fans, the NFL has stated otherwise. I am not sure if I should report this incident as something that happened or did not happen. However, what will not happen is seeing Ricky playing for the Dolphins again.
So many things have happened in the off-season, some big additions, and some great losses. What do you think are the greatest improvements and the greatest setbacks for this off-season? How many other things besides training camp, can we look forward to? How would you rate the off-season so far?

I think pre-draft FA and such would grade out to an A...

I think the draft is around a C+/B-...

So I would rank our offseason a B...

I LOVE the offseason so far. Joey Porter is going to bring an aweful lot to the table on defense, Schlesinger is a very good FB, and the draft.......... Man Oh Man I don't think there's ever been a more exciting draft IMO for the Phins. Ginn is possibly the most explosive player we've ever picked, Beck has all the tools to be a franchise QB, Booker is quick/fast and should be a good change of pace back, and then we got some O-line help and a tough young FB. I know it's impossible to tell how good the draft really was until we see these guys play in a Miami uniform for a couple of years but on paper, and just looking at potential I'd have to give the draft and the offseason an A

What part fo the draft you did not like??

Ginn at 9. I dont have a problem with passing on Quinn... but I would have prefered us to draft Patrick Willis or Adam Carriker at that spot.

I think our draft would have been a homerun in that scenerio... b/c I loved Rds 2-7...

I dont HATE the Ginn pick... I can live with it... but I think we could have done better in Rd 1...

Bro other then bringing Porter here i really dont know what ur guys r looking at, calling it a good off season,

Nice write up.
Green will be wearing Aqua sooner than later.Jeno James and Randy Mac loss might hurt. Martin please stay healthy cos McMichael sure as heck was! Ricky wont be missed because we havnt had him around recently to be missed. Lets hope Booker (RB) can learn quick and be available otherwise Morris will be missed. Brown will be 1000yd+ back this season. Ginn will be exciting to see no matter what the sceptics may think. Lets hope Beck watches and learns. I want to see Hagan step up this season which im think he will with Ginn stretching the field. Our O-Line still needs work but Rome wasnt built in 1 day. Lemon needs to show me and not tell me. If he wants it he needs good pre-season. Chambers had better show his prodege Ginn how to catch and do it the 2005-6 way and not the 2006-07 way.
On D we are all hoping Allen finds his new position at CB a stable one and i hate to see players being shoved around. (listen CAM! Carey is a solid Guard!) Renaldo Hill is underrrated and im pleased Bell is still with us. D-Line will be the same with Roth hopefully improving some more. LB Corp is evil and i mean evil. Crowder i want to see step up and tackle lower (watch ZT!) Channing has the ability no problem, just needs to take the baton after this season. Defensive backfield may be better than last season. (With NE WR's they had better be!) Less injuries with our DBs.
Special Teams. Cant ask for anyone better with Ginn. He'll get more TD's this season than Welker in whole career IMO with KO returns. We'll miss Donnie Jones and weve not got better or worse with Feely.
Only thing ive got left to say is we need to plan against our division rivals because IMO thats were we fall down. Phewww. Im done.

Bro other then bringing Porter here i really dont know what ur guys r looking at, calling it a good off season,

Getting a 2nd and a 7th for Welker was a GREAT move... considering Moss went for a 4th...

Also, we let a lot of the older vets go, which is a very positive move IMO. (Wilkerson, Bowens, Zgonina, Carter)

That allows a lot of our youth to start to step up and see some good development now that they will have a chance to see the field more...

Ginn at 9. I dont have a problem with passing on Quinn... but I would have prefered us to draft Patrick Willis or Adam Carriker at that spot.

I think our draft would have been a homerun in that scenerio... b/c I loved Rds 2-7...

I dont HATE the Ginn pick... I can live with it... but I think we could have done better in Rd 1...

Yes, maybe we could have done a little better in rd1, but, we NEEDED to go offense with the 1st two picks. Whether it was QB, WR, OL, we needed the offense with those picks

we all know the futility of grading an offseason before the regular season even gets under way, but on paper I like what we've done. I think the draft was awesome. I liked Beck all along. I was a little surprised at Ginn at #9, but I can live with it if he brings some fire power to our offense. I liked getting rid of the trouble makers, dead wood and old farts from the roster. All in all I would give us a B+ or A-. Lets hope its at least that good of a grade after the season is over!

Yes, maybe we could have done a little better in rd1, but, we NEEDED to go offense with the 1st two picks. Whether it was QB, WR, OL, we needed the offense with those picks

I think we needed to get the best players possible on our team. Whether that is on offense or defense or whatever. If we had gone offense with the first 3 of our first 4 picks in the draft.. Beck, Satele, and Booker... and gone defense with our first pick... our draft would still be heavily focused on offense.

I am very in favor of the BPA approach in Rd 1... especially in the first half of Rd 1... and go for need in Rds 2-7.

I think we needed to get the best players possible on our team. Whether that is on offense or defense or whatever. If we had gone offense with the first 3 of our first 4 picks in the draft.. Beck, Satele, and Booker... and gone defense with our first pick... our draft would still be heavily focused on offense.

I am very in favor of the BPA approach in Rd 1... especially in the first half of Rd 1... and go for need in Rds 2-7.

I can see where ur coming from, there are still many different variables taken into BPA. Even with the BPA, there still has to be a need and where you have that player drafted. For example with Oakland, we all know they werent keeping Randy so their biggest needs were both QB and WR. Everyone was saying CJ was the best player in the draft. Wouldnt that make him the BPA at 1? But Oakland thought they needed a QB moreso than a WR so their BPA was Russel. If Quinn was BPA on other teams boards he wouldnt have dropped all the way to 22. We wanted to get fast on offense so Ginn would have been the BPA in that sense. Some teams BPA's are different from other teams BPA's at that spot where you are picking. Its said that Houston wanted Ginn at 10, Ginn was their BPA at that spot. It all depends on what BPA is available at the spot and who thinks the BPA is.

Back
Top Bottom