Busy off-season. How would you rate it? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Busy off-season. How would you rate it?

Come training camp, I hope we will realize that Ginn was truly the BPA. I really want to see him out there running and training with the other guys.

A.
Think of the previous 6 or 7 off seasons. What more do you have to know?

Remember the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I'd say A, if for nothing more than effort.

A.
Think of the previous 6 or 7 off seasons. What more do you have to know?

Remember the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I'd say A, if for nothing more than effort.

Where's "B"...What was up with the previous 6 or 7 offseasons and what does that have to do with this off-season?

The offseason is far from over. Consider just these moves yet to be made:

The acquisition of Trent Green.
The trading or cutting of Daunte.
The trading or cutting of Marty Booker.
The drafting of another player in the supplemental draft.
The distinct possibility of acquiring another veteran OL player.

We have had a busy off-season.....How would you rate the off-season so far?

All that and you forgot to mention undrafted free agents Kerry Reed, David Sutton, Stephen Parker, Julius Wilson, Tala Esera, Marion Dukes, Mkristo Bruce, Marquay Love, Edmund Miles, Tuff Harris, Geoff Pope, Chris Vedder, and Courtney Bryan.

Also, we cut Marcus Vick.

You can't grade it until the season is over, but in terms of excitement and change, it's one of the better offseasons in recent history. If your team sucks in the regular season then the offseason needs to be like this.

I LOVE the offseason so far. Joey Porter is going to bring an aweful lot to the table on defense, Schlesinger is a very good FB, and the draft.......... Man Oh Man I don't think there's ever been a more exciting draft IMO for the Phins. Ginn is possibly the most explosive player we've ever picked, Beck has all the tools to be a franchise QB, Booker is quick/fast and should be a good change of pace back, and then we got some O-line help and a tough young FB. I know it's impossible to tell how good the draft really was until we see these guys play in a Miami uniform for a couple of years but on paper, and just looking at potential I'd have to give the draft and the offseason an A
i would'n add anything more to that,,,well put my friend.

We have had a busy off-season. Many things have happen in the Dolphins Nation. Since our last game against the Colts, multiple things have happened. A Super Bowl was played at Dolphin Stadium, Saban denied three times that he was going to Alabama, but finally decided to go to the Tide. JT contemplated retirement. Huizenga contemplated selling the franchise, just kidding. He stated he was committed to the Dolphins and to winning. He embarked, along with the FO, in a trip that took him to Costa Rica and to 7 other destinations. He brought Cam Cameron to Miami to become the new Miami Dolphins Head Coach. Capers decided to stay as the DC and got paid like a head coach. Cameron brought two new assistants: Terry Robiskie as the wide receivers coach and Brett Maxie as safeties coach. It was decided that Randy Mueller would remain as GM, but he was not extended his contract. However, he has given complete control over personnel decisions.
In February, it was announced that Miami would play a home game against the NYG at Wembley Stadium in London, England. A week later, the Dolphins added Terry Shea as QB coach and Brad Ohrt as strength and conditioning coach. The Phins signed seven free agents early in February, among them former Oakland and San Diego LB Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, WR P.K. Sam (Yes!!) and DT Steve Fifita. The Fins also re-signed DT Vonnie Holliday (March 1st). On the same day, they released offensive linemen Seth McKinney and Bennie Anderson. They also waived WR Eric Kimble. Mueller seemed to have fun making big decisions and the following day he released DE Kevin Carter and G Jeno James. A few days later (March 5th), Mueller made many of us happy, and he decided to release QB Joey Harrington. However, he also pi$$ed a lot of people off because in the same day he also released TE Randy McMichael. As if these moves were not enough, the Dolphins dealt receiver Wes Welker to the New England Patriots for their second- and seventh-round draft picks in April. New England's second-round pick was No. 60 overall (Welcome Home Satele).
In order to replace McMichael, the Dolphins inked TE David Martin from Green Bay. The following day, Cameron and Mueller delighted the Dolfans by agreeing on a five year deal with LB Joey Porter. The Dolphins lost Sammie Morris to the Pats, and Travis Minor and Donnie Jones to the Rams. Miami also welcomed K Jay Feely and re-signed DT Keith Traylor. The Dolphins also signed DT Kevin Vickerson and re-signed FB Kyle Eckel and CB Michael Lehan.
Unfortunately, not all was good news, on March 18th, Dolfan Denny died at age 72. Denny led Miami crowds in cheers and chants in his glittering orange and aqua hat since the Dolphins' first game in 1966, starting in the stands. April came along, a much anticipated month by football fans, especially for Miami fans. Ricky Williams applied for reinstatement. Also, the dreams and thoughts of many in the Phins Nation turned to a QB who played football in South Bend, Indiana. On April 20th, the Dolphins released RB coach Bobby Williams from their coaching staff. Three days later, the Dolphins signed WR Az-Zahir Hakim and G Chris Liwienski and re-signed LS John Denney. Mueller also got a pick for K Olindo Mare and sent him to New Orleans. Before the draft, Miami signed C Johnathan Ingram and RB Ray Perkins. On April 25th, the Dolphins re-signed LB Donnie Spragan and brought in Bobby Jackson as the RB coach. On April 28th, Christmas Day. With the 9th overall pick, the Dolphins selected WR / KR / PR Ted Ginn Jr. from Ohio State University. But they did not select Brady Quinn. Many fans let Coach Cam who disappointed they were: They Booed! (I booed at them). Miami also drafted QB John Beck, BYU, C Samson Satele, Hawaii, RB Lorenzo Booker, FSU, DT Paul Soliai, Utah, FB Reagan Mauia, Hawaii, C / G Andrew Mormino, Central Michigan, LB Kelvin Smith, Syracuse, P Brandon Fields, MSU, and DE Abraham Wright, Colorado.
On April 30th, two Dolphins players had surgery, DT Keith Traylor and OT Anthony Alabi both underwent arthroscopic procedures. In May, Ted Ginn Jr. changed his jersey number from #11 to #19 to honour his dad, P.K. Sam has been leaving his mark in NFL Europa, Jason Taylor and Renaldo Hill were honoured by the team, Andre Goodman had surgery in his shoulder (again), Mueller unretired #12 to honour Governor Crist (He called Griese in NC, it’s all good). We have also picked CB Derrick Johnson from waivers, and signed the sons of Hall of Fame athletes. The HOFAs: WR James Lofton and NBA legend Moses Malone. The college free agents: S David Lofton and WR Michael Malone. Last but not least, the team signed S Yeremiah Bell to a 1 year deal.
In the midst of all that has happened, many things still have not happened. Culpepper has not left, Green has not been traded (although the trade is imminent since March), Lemon has not signed his tendered contract and Ricky has not smoked weed for many years. It is funny because while he has stated this to Terrell Davis and all his fans, the NFL has stated otherwise. I am not sure if I should report this incident as something that happened or did not happen. However, what will not happen is seeing Ricky playing for the Dolphins again.
So many things have happened in the off-season, some big additions, and some great losses. What do you think are the greatest improvements and the greatest setbacks for this off-season? How many other things besides training camp, can we look forward to? How would you rate the off-season so far?
Good summary of the offseason, and I've agreed with everything that the FO has done this offseason, so I would give them a high grade.

Where's b?

Where's "B"...What was up with the previous 6 or 7 offseasons and what does that have to do with this off-season?

There is no B. I grade the off season an A. Period.

This is the first off season in years that we cut fat. Didn't trade draft picks for someone else's fat. Aquired draft choices. Drafted with a plan & signed FA's that have a solid chance to make it on the roster.

These moves may not pan out, but this off season is head & shoulders above those of Wanny & Satan.

Think about it. It started with booting Marino out in favor or...not Huard...but Fiedler. Then it went down hill from there. Then we went TRADE HAPPY giving away 1's & 2's like they were nothing. Etc.

I can't go on...it's too depressing...I hope I explained myself.

There is no B. I grade the off season an A. Period.

This is the first off season in years that we cut fat. Didn't trade draft picks for someone else's fat. Aquired draft choices. Drafted with a plan & signed FA's that have a solid chance to make it on the roster.

These moves may not pan out, but this off season is head & shoulders above those of Wanny & Satan.

Think about it. It started with booting Marino out in favor or...not Huard...but Fiedler. Then it went down hill from there. Then we went TRADE HAPPY giving away 1's & 2's like they were nothing. Etc.

I can't go on...it's too depressing...I hope I explained myself.

Sorry...I thought you were trying to make some kind of numbered point A, B, etc...

I agree. This is the first season I can remember that we did trim down the roster of most of the overpriced, underachieving players and doing it right by drafting our team of the future and not overpaying for other teams castoffs like in the past...I was rooting for Huard over Feidler...I dont know why Wanny would choose a back-up from Minny and J'ville over one of our own back-ups...But then again there were alot of decisions he made that we are still scratching our heads about

ok heck im drunk why not post even though i skipped like the last 15 post. oh yeah offseason. well for starters one of my best friends is a patriots fan, he made the comment blitz brady all you want randy moss will beat ya on that slant......naaaa zach thomas would knock him out of game so wouldnt worry about that. damn charlotte bobcats just got 8th pick blaghhh. but anyways joey porter will be free to blitz at any time cuase peek a boo taylor is coming on other side. so the joey porter pick shouldve been a double a cause its free JT up that much more. and i loved wes welker ill admit to it, but ya know when feely kicks off to welker, and the pats think hes gonna break it and then feely runs him down they are gonna see how slow he is. martin over mcmike i dunno about, if martin is next gonzalez nice move ill be happy, but if martin turns into johnny mithcell then sheesshh. but anyways im gonna do draft and then to store to buy more beer and cat food. draft ted ginn, yes hes are devin hester as returner who will hopefully when a couple games for us. im from charlotte area, steve smiths first couple years with panthers we were skeered everytime he touched the ball cause he danced too much now look at him. ginn could turn out to be another steve smith and we'd all be happy we drafted him regardless of quinn. beck yeah hes mature, i didnt like steve young because he was with 49ers blaghh but if he turns into a next steve young, rockin! satale with our pick from wes welker, houck will teach him to be great, we wont miss mckinney no pron. who knows maybe brown is our bettis and booker will turn into a willie parker. i dunno im drunk im going to store to get more beer and catfood. but dont be surprised if we beat the chit out of some teams you wouldnt expect this year. im saying honestly 11-5 or better because our d is gonna be that good and have that much pressure on QB, and green has a strong arm like culp and if ya make a mistake make it deep, so our d can cover our qbs fug ups

All that and you forgot to mention undrafted free agents Kerry Reed, David Sutton, Stephen Parker, Julius Wilson, Tala Esera, Marion Dukes, Mkristo Bruce, Marquay Love, Edmund Miles, Tuff Harris, Geoff Pope, Chris Vedder, and Courtney Bryan.

Also, we cut Marcus Vick.
I did forget those. Thanks for the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom