by default I choose | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

by default I choose

mega-fin-love

Just trust me
Reaction score
Matt Moore. I am not sold on RG3 and think we will have to give up way to much to jump up and get him. I think Flynn is highly over rated and has proven nothing so far. Flynn might be pretty good but I don't see him being way better than Moore if any. We would be paying him a monster contract and his performance in my opinion would only be a little better than Moore's if any. Peyton could be a good option because we would only sign him for 2 years or so. If he busts at least it won't kill us for years and years. We as Dolphins fans are rightfully over eager to jump on a QB because we have been put through hell ever since #13 left our lives. I am by no means saying we don't need a franchise QB but I think Moore has earned the right to get a full off season of practice and a full season to see what he can do. I think Moore would take us to the playoffs this coming year and maybe farther. If he doesn't then draft a 1st round QB every year until we get our guy. As we saw from this year you have guys like Flacco, Tebow, and Smith that all won playoff games. I think Moore's skills/potential is equal to or better than all of them. Not saying he will be our savior or anything but like the title says " Moore by default "

No one should bash you for that opinion. When Moore came around, i'd say hes easily our team MVP. maybe Bush.... But Moore was impressive down the stretch.

The #1 option IMO is Peyton Manning, provided he is healthy. It will bring a buzz back into SunLifeless stadium and you keep Moore as the backup as in todays NFL, with the amount of passing going on, you need 2 solid QB's anyway.

However it would be a mistake not addressing the QB position. In this scenario, Miami would really have to consider Tannehill at #9, especially with Sherman as the OC. Allow him to sit behind Manning and Moore for 2 or 3 years and you have a real solid QB setup on the team.

Flynn definitely is being overrated, but I would endorse the signing now that Philbin is in charge. I didn't have any confidence with Sparano and QB's, I have that confidence in Philbin and he knows Flynn better than anybody. He brings him here I would be more than happy . . . however if he isn't really considered I wonder what that says about Flynn.

I agree I'm not a big fan of giving up a bunch of picks to move up for RGIII or Luck, but I honestly feel those are the 2 best options for the Fins if we didn't have to give up those picks. Oh well.

Then I think Miami has the Brandon Weeden card if things don't work out . . . where they could do evaluations and say Matt Moore is our guy, draft a pass rusher and then take Weeden in the 2nd round or even move up if need be and just allow Moore and Weeden to battle it out.

There are a bunch of scenarios, but one thing is for certain, Miami needs to do more with the QB position than Matt Moore and Pat Devlin . . . that just isn't good enough.

The #1 option IMO is Peyton Manning, provided he is healthy. It will bring a buzz back into SunLifeless stadium and you keep Moore as the backup as in todays NFL, with the amount of passing going on, you need 2 solid QB's anyway.

However it would be a mistake not addressing the QB position. In this scenario, Miami would really have to consider Tannehill at #9, especially with Sherman as the OC. Allow him to sit behind Manning and Moore for 2 or 3 years and you have a real solid QB setup on the team.

Flynn definitely is being overrated, but I would endorse the signing now that Philbin is in charge. I didn't have any confidence with Sparano and QB's, I have that confidence in Philbin and he knows Flynn better than anybody. He brings him here I would be more than happy . . . however if he isn't really considered I wonder what that says about Flynn.

I agree I'm not a big fan of giving up a bunch of picks to move up for RGIII or Luck, but I honestly feel those are the 2 best options for the Fins if we didn't have to give up those picks. Oh well.

Then I think Miami has the Brandon Weeden card if things don't work out . . . where they could do evaluations and say Matt Moore is our guy, draft a pass rusher and then take Weeden in the 2nd round or even move up if need be and just allow Moore and Weeden to battle it out.

There are a bunch of scenarios, but one thing is for certain, Miami needs to do more with the QB position than Matt Moore and Pat Devlin . . . that just isn't good enough.

agreed. Moore and Devlin are not enough. I just think in today's NFL when you choose your Franchise QB and pay out the wazoo for him, you better not miss. I feel like we will miss with any of the current 3 options. They will all cost a whole lot and I don't view any of them as along term answer. I wan't to nail the QB position on the head for once instead of swinging and missing

Matt Moore. I am not sold on RG3 and think we will have to give up way to much to jump up and get him. I think Flynn is highly over rated and has proven nothing so far. Flynn might be pretty good but I don't see him being way better than Moore if any. We would be paying him a monster contract and his performance in my opinion would only be a little better than Moore's if any. Peyton could be a good option because we would only sign him for 2 years or so. If he busts at least it won't kill us for years and years. We as Dolphins fans are rightfully over eager to jump on a QB because we have been put through hell ever since #13 left our lives. I am by no means saying we don't need a franchise QB but I think Moore has earned the right to get a full off season of practice and a full season to see what he can do. I think Moore would take us to the playoffs this coming year and maybe farther. If he doesn't then draft a 1st round QB every year until we get our guy. As we saw from this year you have guys like Flacco, Tebow, and Smith that all won playoff games. I think Moore's skills/potential is equal to or better than all of them. Not saying he will be our savior or anything but like the title says " Moore by default "

I, respectfully, disagree. I think our best option has to be Flynn. He spent 3-4 years with this system. I know you say he is unproven, and I won't argue that. He only played a couple games, I wont say he's already a Hall Of Famer. But, isn't every option unproven at this point? Flynn only has limited playing time. Who knows if Manning can still play? Griffin is a rookie. And while Moore played good last year, we have a brand new offense he has to learn.
Given the options, I'd rather go with the one who has years learning this system. That being said, if Philbin doesn't sign him, that means he knows he isn't a starter. I trust his judgement, so I'll keep Moore and use Flynn's money on another big time player

As much as I like Matt Moore, he is not the great or elite QB that will get us to the Superbowl. We need to find the franchise guy. Moore could be a backup for us but we need a lot more as our starter.

I, respectfully, disagree. I think our best option has to be Flynn. He spent 3-4 years with this system. I know you say he is unproven, and I won't argue that. He only played a couple games, I wont say he's already a Hall Of Famer. But, isn't every option unproven at this point? Flynn only has limited playing time. Who knows if Manning can still play? Griffin is a rookie. And while Moore played good last year, we have a brand new offense he has to learn.
Given the options, I'd rather go with the one who has years learning this system. That being said, if Philbin doesn't sign him, that means he knows he isn't a starter. I trust his judgement, so I'll keep Moore and use Flynn's money on another big time player

It all straight up. I am expecting many to disagree. I believe the way you win super bowls is to have a good collection of players without over paying many. It's just like Y Bell. He is good and I like him but if he costs more than what he is worth you have to let him go. Teams that follow this rule have balanced long lasting quality football teams. I believe we over pay for any of those 3 and they will hurt more than help. Where as Moore is not making crap money and in my opinion takes us to the playoffs or better. I picture it like this. What would you rather buy, an over priced Lexus for $100,000 or an under priced Acura for $30,000? Sure the lexus is better but it's not 70,000 better

As much as I like Matt Moore, he is not the great or elite QB that will get us to the Superbowl. We need to find the franchise guy. Moore could be a backup for us but we need a lot more as our starter.

I don't think it's sound logic to assume that Moore has hit his ceiling at this point. Many people believe that he has but I think he is young and gets better every game. Would not surprise me at all if he had a better year than Flacco, Romo, Smith, Sanchez, Tebow, or many others. I think he would be a top 15 QB and very well might crack the top 10. I can see him doing as well as 7 or so if really clicks with our new explosive offense

Trade down, pick up another 2nd or a first next year and get Weeden or Tannehill. I like em both, I think they can both be groomed into very good QBs.

It all straight up. I am expecting many to disagree. I believe the way you win super bowls is to have a good collection of players without over paying many. It's just like Y Bell. He is good and I like him but if he costs more than what he is worth you have to let him go. Teams that follow this rule have balanced long lasting quality football teams. I believe we over pay for any of those 3 and they will hurt more than help. Where as Moore is not making crap money and in my opinion takes us to the playoffs or better. I picture it like this. What would you rather buy, an over priced Lexus for $100,000 or an under priced Acura for $30,000? Sure the lexus is better but it's not 70,000 better

I agree with your principles, but I will say one thing, you can't bargain shop at the QB position. We did that with Jay Fiedler, Chad Pennington and now Matt Moore. Sure if the sun sets properly and the defense and Offensive Line are tops in the league and a little luck falls our way, maybe a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer type of run is possible (considering those were the 2 best defeneses of the past 20 years, our D would have to be elite) it just isn't likely.

We just made an investment in Philbin as the HC, and Jeff Ireland has to show some confidence if Philbin tells him Matt Flynn has the goods and he is the guy to run the offense. Yea, he is gonna get paid . . . 8 to 10 million a year I'm assuming, but if he is the guy Philbin says can lead us, I trust him over Jeff Ireland at this point. Prior to Philbin becomming coach, I would have scoffed at the idea.

Personally, I'm not nearly as high on Flynn as many of the other people on this site, then again I would be willing to resign Chad Henne, to go along with Moore and whoever else we decide to bring in. You just can't have enough options at QB, especially when dealing with unproven commodities. In your scenario, If Miami can't get Flynn or Manning, I think they would be better served going with a Chad Henne to add to the depth chart along with Moore and drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round, or even a Tannehill in round 1.

One thing is for certain, atleast Miami has a fallback option in Moore who had some success last year, so I think they can afford to roll the dice on a QB and let the chips fall where they may. The worse thing they can do is stand pat, that just can't happen.

I definitely understand your concerns though, especially when people "wanted" Kevin Kolb last year and to be honest I said Flynn would be this years Kevin Kolb but I just have more of a comfort level not giving up picks and taking a guy who would be going to a system he is familiar with from his entire time being in the NFL. Hopefully they can structure the contract where the Fins can get out of it early if they see Flynn doesn't have it. Unfortunately for Philbin, bringing Flynn here pretty much ties him to that QB and his tenure in Miami depends on Flynn's success.

Should be interesting.

2nd round grab Orson Charles or Colby Fleener and hopefully a pass rusher or a safety.

You draft Weeden banking on him starting from day one, or atleast being able to give Matt Moore a run for his money. Tannehill would be the other option because of his familiarity with Mike Sherman, so they both are very good options to have. Miami definitely has no excuses this season.

Ugh at Fleener in round 2 . . . Personally I'm good with Fasano, Clay and Yeatman . . . if he slides to round 3, then definitely. Miami needs to find a pass rusher early in this draft way more than a TE. Don't forget about Robert Lester in between rounds 2 and 3 as a FS option.

Upshaw/Weeden/Lester would be an insanely nice draft, though we may have to trade up some in the 2nd and 3rd to get Weeden and Lester.

I agree with your principles, but I will say one thing, you can't bargain shop at the QB position. We did that with Jay Fiedler, Chad Pennington and now Matt Moore. Sure if the sun sets properly and the defense and Offensive Line are tops in the league and a little luck falls our way, maybe a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer type of run is possible (considering those were the 2 best defeneses of the past 20 years, our D would have to be elite) it just isn't likely.

agreed that you can't bargain to much with the QB position. I guess it all comes down to how much you think we are bargaining with Moore. I believe he has not hit his ceiling where as many believe he has. I expect him to be at least a top 15 QB this coming year. Hopefully top 10 or better.

We just made an investment in Philbin as the HC, and Jeff Ireland has to show some confidence if Philbin tells him Matt Flynn has the goods and he is the guy to run the offense. Yea, he is gonna get paid . . . 8 to 10 million a year I'm assuming, but if he is the guy Philbin says can lead us, I trust him over Jeff Ireland at this point. Prior to Philbin becomming coach, I would have scoffed at the idea.

Personally, I'm not nearly as high on Flynn as many of the other people on this site, then again I would be willing to resign Chad Henne, to go along with Moore and whoever else we decide to bring in. You just can't have enough options at QB, especially when dealing with unproven commodities. In your scenario, If Miami can't get Flynn or Manning, I think they would be better served going with a Chad Henne to add to the depth chart along with Moore and drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round, or even a Tannehill in round 1.

One thing is for certain, atleast Miami has a fallback option in Moore who had some success last year, so I think they can afford to roll the dice on a QB and let the chips fall where they may. The worse thing they can do is stand pat, that just can't happen.

I definitely understand your concerns though, especially when people "wanted" Kevin Kolb last year and to be honest I said Flynn would be this years Kevin Kolb but I just have more of a comfort level not giving up picks and taking a guy who would be going to a system he is familiar with from his entire time being in the NFL. Hopefully they can structure the contract where the Fins can get out of it early if they see Flynn doesn't have it. Unfortunately for Philbin, bringing Flynn here pretty much ties him to that QB and his tenure in Miami depends on Flynn's success.

Should be interesting.

agreed that you can't bargain to much with the QB position. I guess it all comes down to how much you think we are bargaining with Moore. I believe he has not hit his ceiling where as many believe he has. I expect him to be at least a top 15 QB this coming year. Hopefully top 10 or better.

That is true also, Moore is younger than Weeden, so he still can do some growing as an NFL QB . . . I'm hopeful Philbin and Moore have had a chance to really get a good feel for each other although I'm sure Jeff Ireland didn't give Matt Moore much confidence when he proclaimed "We need a Quarterback that can get us over the hump" . . . he is right but hopefully that is more smoke at the Senior Bowl more than a shot at Matt Moore.

Let me ask you . . . knowing we can't stand pat with Moore and Devlin, what other options do you like to add to the QB depth chart? I truthfully have wanted Tannehill or Weeden for the longest with that 2nd round pick, but it feels like neither will be there and I know we need a pass rusher in round 1. How would you feel if we drafted Tannehill at #8/#9 and rolled with him and Matt Moore, Devlin and possible a 2nd tier FA (i.e. Campbell, Henne, Josh Johnson, Hoyer, etc.) for less money? How about missing out on Weeden/Tannehill, going pass rusher in round 1 and settling for one of those cheaper FA's and sticking with Devlin as the #3 on the depth chart. What is you vision?

Back
Top Bottom