Calling Boomer and CK! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Calling Boomer and CK!

This is getting silly now...it's not important what I, You or Boomer thinks...it's important what the Dolphins think and what they do.

Agreed thats why you have Hyped up players fall in the draft.

2 things; left tackles get 'beat' all the time. Doesn't mean to say they give up sacks. And secondly Jumbo Elliott played for Parcells 20 years ago.

I think it's fair to say that the speed and skill set of your average right rush end has changed just a little.

This is part of something I wrote in VIP yesterday.

Didn't Long dominate Harvey in that bowl game? I look at Long and I see a guy with quicks, maybe I'm wrong. How did his shuttle time look at the combine?

I still like the idea of Long tried at LT, then moved to RT and Carey moved to Guard if it doesn't pan out. Back to the same old argument, but a consolation prize of a potential all-pro RT is ok with me.

All these comparisons to Gallery- Gallery hasn't exactly lit it up at RT or Guard either. Do you remember if the Combine tests exposed any particular athletic weakness in Gallery? I think that JLong made it through pretty well.

Yet another opinion, and there are lots for and against JLong:

From the Sun-Sentinel:

Mar 1, 2008

Fins: Going Long (or Long)
> Posted by Ethan J. Skolnick at 5:48:18 PM

Several weeks ago, I pegged Chris Long as the Dolphins' most likely choice, if they cannot trade the No. 1 overall pick.
Now I'm wavering.
I still have Chris Long in the top two.
But if you look at what the Dolphins have done in free agency thus far -- and what they haven't done -- it appears that Jake Long is the more likely target. After all, they have signed a guard, but no offensive tackles.
In fact, I'm having a hard time envisioning them taking anyone else.
Glenn Dorsey? Not after they just traded for Jason Ferguson and signed Randy Starks. Dorsey, according to many scouts, isn't ideally suited to be a 3-4 nose tackle anyway, and everything the Dolphins have done points to liberal use of the 3-4.
Darren McFadden? Still don't see Bill Parcells taking a halfback, even after that ridiculous 40 time.
Matt Ryan? After the signing of Josh McCown, I suspect the Dolphins will draft a quarterback somewhere between the 2nd and 5th rounds, to compete with John Beck as McCown's successor.
Some wonder whether Jake Long is even the best tackle in this draft -- or whether he projects as a left tackle. Two weeks ago, I hosted a radio show with former Hurricanes and NFL tackle Leon Searcy, who is convinced that Jake Long will not only be a left tackle in the NFL, but will be a perennial Pro Bowler at the position.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/

Boomer,

nfldraftcountdown says Long is somewhere between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown as a pro prospect. Is that a fair assessment?

You watched it......what did you see?

A LT who was beating down the Gator accross from him. I see a giant who is quick, aggressive, dominating, and who runs about a 5.0 40. A guy that looked so quick in that Mel Kiper piece on ESPN a few weeks ago that I was shocked.

It's very difficult for me to argue with you on these matters because you watch all of the film and I don't. I'm just a fan of this guy based upon our needs and what I've seen of him. The rest of my argument is a collection of redundancies- I hope that we go JLong #1 and the best available LT at #2, I'll leave it at that.

You watched it......what did you see?

Boomer...without trying to find a way to re-watch the game again...one has to be impressed by the way Michigan played against a darn good Florida team and beat them.
I believe Henne threw for 373 yds that game and Hart ran for appx 130. I would have to believe that not only Long had a good game...but as a team...all the Michigan players did. I found this link to the highlights of the game...nice.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1138363753/bclid1315742516/bctid1363158494

Otah and Clady are #1 and 2 on my board.
Boomer, you know i really respect your opinion, just curious, what do you see in Otah and Clady that makes you think they're better than J. Long? .....and how do you respond to the fact, which everyone talks about, that J. Long only gave up 2 sacks his college career. Thanks!

boomer and ck, I was about to have so much more respect for you with not responding to this thread after reading all the responses to it and knowing you read them too, but then I saw responses from boomer and lost faith a little. Was it peer pressure or ignorance that finally made you respond? ck hasn't responded and I know he has read this so he can't be broken, but I think Boomer cracked with ignorance after reading what he responded to after a response to a post. would I be right you guys? Boom, I understand, I try to remain quiet and read until something off the wall on the general boards shows up and I feel an obligation to respond.

boomer and ck, I was about to have so much more respect for you with not responding to this thread after reading all the responses to it and knowing you read them too, but then I saw responses from boomer and lost faith a little. Was it peer pressure or ignorance that finally made you respond? ck hasn't responded and I know he has read this so he can't be broken, but I think Boomer cracked with ignorance after reading what he responded to after a response to a post. would I be right you guys? Boom, I understand, I try to remain quiet and read until something off the wall on the general boards shows up and I feel an obligation to respond.

This is one of the hardest posts to understand, without there being typos and misspellings.

What exactly are you saying here? I'm glad Boomer posted, because I rather enjoy his break down of Jake Long.

Boomer,

nfldraftcountdown says Long is somewhere between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown as a pro prospect. Is that a fair assessment?

Hmmm.

It's not quite as simple as that because they were seperated only by 2 picks and yet Thomas is a LT and Brown is a RT.

A LT who was beating down the Gator accross from him. I see a giant who is quick, aggressive, dominating, and who runs about a 5.0 40. A guy that looked so quick in that Mel Kiper piece on ESPN a few weeks ago that I was shocked.

It's very difficult for me to argue with you on these matters because you watch all of the film and I don't. I'm just a fan of this guy based upon our needs and what I've seen of him. The rest of my argument is a collection of redundancies- I hope that we go JLong #1 and the best available LT at #2, I'll leave it at that.

If that's what you saw then that's what you saw my man. And THAT is what makes the draft so interesting because no 2 people agree.

;)

Boomer...without trying to find a way to re-watch the game again...one has to be impressed by the way Michigan played against a darn good Florida team and beat them.
I believe Henne threw for 373 yds that game and Hart ran for appx 130. I would have to believe that not only Long had a good game...but as a team...all the Michigan players did. I found this link to the highlights of the game...nice.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1138363753/bclid1315742516/bctid1363158494

Michigan played an excellent game, but this is Michigan beating Florida not Hackensack State. They brought 4 linemen after Tebow every snap, they rushed Shawn Crable on almost every single down so that he was matched up on Harvin or one of the other backs in terms of blocking. Tebow never had a minute. The linebackers flushed the run lanes and the corners manned up and shut down Caldwell, etc.

Henne threw mostly out of the shotgun or on 3 step drops. Mike Hart is a top notch college running back running behind a very aggressive OL against a young Florida interior.

Why would I feel peer pressure? I don't believe I have anything to prove. Sometimes I'm right and a lot of the time I'm wrong. I don't want any of these kids to fail. I only say what I see.

As for ignorance......ignorance on my part?

Why would I feel peer pressure? I don't believe I have anything to prove. Sometimes I'm right and a lot of the time I'm wrong. I don't want any of these kids to fail. I only say what I see.

As for ignorance......ignorance on my part?
I'm glad you posted in this thread at all. You're this board's best source of info on a lot of occasions.

Even with everything said about Jake Long here i still like him for the 1st pick. He's big, strong, a workout monster. He's smart enough not to get on penalties and that can't be underestimated on the line.

From what Boomer said earlier it seems his major problems are slight flaws in technique and focus. That he gives up on a blocks to early, he gets to the target a little fast. Those sound correctable by a good line coach.

Also it is said that he has problems with speed rushers. But Boomer mentioned that Jake Long still manages to use his great awareness and his long arms to stymie them.

Overall he's still the best tackle in the draft, a huge physical presence and it sounds like this kid has good football smarts and intangibles. I just don't think he'll make a lot of stupid mistakes. And he has fewer sacks given up and fewer penalties than Otah or Clady. Maybe he has a lack of flexibility that makes him more vulnerable to speed rushers but it seems that he's worked out ways to deal with that. The kid just seems to me like a total football player. Some players might not have the stats you want them to have but are still playmakers. Jake Long seems to me to be a playmaker and i hope we draft him.

Here's my feelings on this subject:

We have the #1 pick in the draft. What kind of LT do you take with the #1 pick?

With Joe Thomas from last year's draft, everyone (talking heads, scouts, fan, etc.) said he was a LT, no "ifs", "ands", or "buts". What's he do? He makes the probowl as a rookie. That's the type of tackle you use the overall #1 on.

I don't want to draft a LT with the #1 pick that there are questions about whether or not he can even play LT at the pro level. I want to draft a LT that is a definate LT, without a doubt. I don't want another Robert Gallery.

Of course Long could turn out to be an outstanding LT and Joe Thomas could get moved to RT next season, who knows. But you've got to look at the value of the player versus the pick you're going to take him. If we had a pick in the mid to bottom half of the top 10, then we would draft Long because that is where his value is because of the questions surrounding his ability to be a top-flight LT.

I hope I was able to convey my point clearly enough.:)

Back
Top Bottom