Cam Newton (National Championship Game) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton (National Championship Game)

qmar

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Suprised to not see a thread on Cam's performance last night and his prospects as an NFL QB.

I'm not sure what everyone else think's but I'll share my thoughts on what I see as his potential.

Let me start by saying Cam is going to take some time to be a solid NFL QB. He runs an offense right now that is not utilized too much in the NFL today and would require that he learns a whole new system and how to be a pocket passer. My recommendation for any team that drafts him is to plan on giving him the whole first year on the bench, learning the game. Obviously if injurys or really poor play happens throughout the year, give him a shot, but he would be better served watching the game from the sidelines for his rookie year. He's just too raw.

With regards to Newton's upside, I truly do believe he can become a franchise QB in this league. His overall QB skills are solid and he gives you the added flexibility of being stout in the pocket and also being able to get outside and run with the football. He could work on his feet in the pocket and some of his reads, but these are teachable. You can't teach Tall, Athletic, Strong Arm, Fast.

If I had to give a comparison to another QB in the league, I would probably say he's actually a pretty good mix of Roethlisberger and Vick (a little more like Roethlisberger then Vick). He's obviously not nearly as big as Roethlisberger and not nearly as fast as Vick, but he's a good mix of the two. Obviously he won't magically turn into a combination of these two guys, as I said he has some learning to do, but I could see him being a nice mix if he takes the time, does his film study, and works hard.

That's a good segway to his character. He seems like a very happy guy (well he did just win the Heisman, so I'm not all that surprised), but obviously there are alot of things going on in his life outside of football that are definitely concerning. We all know about the bribe his father was trying to make and the stolen laptop accusations. I can put all that aside and have confidence in Newton if I know this guy will work hard and want to be an elite NFL QB. That's going to come down to due diligence and gut from Ireland and Sparano as to whether he can put in the work.

Would be interested in everyone's thoughts to those that watched last night or even if you didn't and still insight on Cam.

He has suCceded at every level he has played at. His play at the NC game was AVG at best bust does show leadership needed for the position. He is a better passer than Tebow Young Vick coming out of college. Mechanics look sound and cannot argue a completion percentage of over 65 percent in the SEC.

His performance solidified that he is a first round pick. IMO he is the third QB in this class behind Gabbert and Mallett.

IMO I think all three could be gone by 12-18 as well.

Ooooooo and his pocket presence is very under-rated. Look at the second TD on the wheel route when he steps up and throws the TD. Run first QBs just take off there

Ooooooo and his pocket presence is very under-rated. Look at the second TD on the wheel route when he steps up and throws the TD. Run first QBs just take off there

yeah he will extend plays while staying in the pocket... a lot of these athletic college QBs wont do that...

and hes actually bigger than Roethlisberger... Newton is 6'6" 250, Big Ben is 6'5" 240

Didn’t see anything great last night in Newton. Some guys peak in college and I think he’s already done that. My bet is on Andy Dalton becoming a very nice pro quarterback. I think TCU is the number one team too. I would seriously consider taking the Alabama running back with our first and Dalton with our third if we were standing pat with our draft picks as they are now.

I wouldnt mind us using our first round pick on him but the type of offense auburn runs is by no means a pro offense.. Think every pass play was out of shotgun, so hes gonna need to learn to do the 3/5/7 step drops and still make plays.. If we were to get him, we'd need to groom him for atleast 2 years until hes ready to compete in the nfl.. Get a Veteran like mcnabb for the next couple of seasons and then when hes ready to retire, bring in newton.. Obviously to do this we need to find ourselves a QB coach thats going to be able to groom him into an nfl starter..

Would be an interesting pick tho, and i'd prefer it to taking a running back.

Back
Top Bottom