Cam Wake - the NFL's Best Pass Rusher of the last 3 years...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GasPed, Jun 26, 2012.

1. GasPed

GasPed Well-Known Member

From PFF: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-of-pass-rushing-productivity-edge-rushers-2/

"...Once again, total pressure numbers don’t tell the whole story. While Ware has more pressure than any other player since 2009, he doesn’t lead the way in terms of our Pass Rushing Productivity rating. That honor belongs to Cameron Wake, with the PRP stat showing exactly why the Dolphins were right to hand the former CFL star big money. Wake had a sizeable lead from Ware in second, who was marginally better than former first round pick Jason Babin...."

I get tired of people saying "he's good, but not an elite pass rusher". He is elite - in fact, he's the best of the best! :up:

Side note: Joey Porter (the guy who wouldn't get off the field for Wake) is ranked as the 6th worst pass rusher of the past three years...:rolleyes:

2. Chance29

Chance29 Rookie

And he's not in the top 100 on NFL Network Players countdown..............what a joke

3. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

cam is the best pass rusher right now. ware had more help in that department, but sure has hell doesnt get held as much. wake is a beast

4. King Dingaling

King Dingaling Well-Known Member

Wake has a burst and closing speed that is unmatched. I'm excited to see what he will do in the 4-3 now that he doesn't have to drop back into coverage anymore. Vernon should have a good year too coming off the bench when teams will be focusing on Wake!!!

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

pump the brakes...wakes a great player and a elite pure pass rusher but demarcus ware is the gold standard at the position...d ware is rediculously talented in all aspects

6. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd put Jared Allen up there as well

7. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

The post says best pass rusher, not best 3-4 OLB.

Ware is the best 3-4 OLB out there and has been for a while, but Wake is in the top 2 for pass rushing skills only.

8. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

that countdown list is a joke, im not even an Eli fan and he is #31, Andre Johnson barely played last season and is #15, Peyton Manning who didnt take a snap is #50, not only was Gronk rated #20 but Jimmy Graham (also great but Gronk is better and had a historical season and was easily a top 10 player last season) was rated 7 spots ahead of Gronk

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ware makes tackles look silly with his initial quickness and burst...i mean i've seen plenty of snaps against solid nfl tackles where they never even laid a hand on him...best pass rusher to me is the most feared guy and most effective guy off the edge when it comes to getting to the qb...and bar none thats still demarcus ware...filthy

10. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

One of the smartest recruiting decisions that Jeff Ireland has made. He is a terrific player who went undrafted (despite a pretty amazing physique and Penn State pedigree), failed to make the Giants team and then went to play in Canada, where he was given an opportunity and excelled. The key learning is that good players can come from anywhere (including the CFL). Some guys have got the ability, they just need an opportunity.

11. damanref10

damanref10 Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Damarcus Ware since coming into the league...
    8 sacks.

Jared Allen

9 Sacks

Cameron Wake

Now i love Cam as much as the next person, and yes pressures aren't included here and cam gets a hell of a lot of pressure.... but come on.... try and convince me he is a better pass rusher than Damarcus or Jared let alone the entire league.

12. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it's weird with jared cause i don't see elite tools but the guy just produces...that said if you asked every tackle in the nfl who scares them as a pass rusher the most i bet the vast majority roll off demarcus ware's name without skipping a beat...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  13. dolfan_101

dolfan_101 A True Fan

Jared Allen really is an animal, he just plays balls to the walls for 4 quarters. Nothing in his game really blows my mind he is just a machine.

14. GasPed

GasPed Well-Known Member

Well, that's what the PFF article tries to do - it shows clearly that Ware, while he had 50 more pressures than Wake, required 375 more snaps to do it. And Jared Allen, while he put up great numbers, had almost 600 more pass rush snaps than Wake to do his thing.

Sacks are one measure of pass rush effectiveness, but it's a pretty limited measure. Not saying PFF's "pressure" score is the right answer either, but I think it's definitely more complete.

Now, as for what your own eyes tell you - that's a different story altogether - it's a matter of subjective opinion. I won't even try to convince you out of that one. ;)

15. GasPed

GasPed Well-Known Member

That would be an interesting poll. Ware is a freak, no question.

But the numbers don't lie - on a per snap basis, Wake generates more pressure. :)

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

so you'd take wake over ware if given a choice of the two??? you're in the minority if the answer is yes...

17. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Wake is a BEAST!!!! What a great find by Ireland, got to hand it to him.

18. GasPed

GasPed Well-Known Member

Well, that would be another interesting poll. And you're right, Ware would probably win it. But what would be really interesting is how people (maybe even myself :) ) would try to justify picking Ware over Wake. We'd use words like "freak", "athleticism", "beast", "dynamic", "feared", etc. - all of the qualities we see, but are hard to quantify. When it comes to just making football plays though, maybe Wake is the man? That's what this article tells me.

(And don't get me wrong, Wake is a freak too :up:)

19. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I dont mind what his # are, he is our's and that is all that matters................:up:

20. cljh19

cljh19 Starter

Ware is the better all around better DE/OLB.

Wake is a one trick pony that cant be stopped when it comes to applying pressure.

Wake will get more sacks with Odrick playing opposite at DE. Odrick is much like Jared Allen.

Wake/Odrick could be special.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think its fair to say that ware wins that hands down given his fellow players didn't even vote wake in the top 100 of 2011 which is a joke in its own right but to my knowledge ware has yet to come up and they will be releasing the top 10 tonight...and ware should definitely be on it...

what wake needs to do to make another jump is startin forcing some damn turnovers on his sacks with strip sacks etc...swipe down at the ball when he wraps up...doesn't provide many turnovers...elite consistent pass rusher absolutely but rarely a game changer

22. GasPed

GasPed Well-Known Member

Fyi, Wake was rated the top OLB in the league by PFF precisely because he wasn't a one trick pony (i.e. he was good at stuffing the run too). But even if he was, it's still a helluva trick.

23. cljh19

cljh19 Starter

I wasnt refering to stopping the run or pass rushing as the one trick. More so, Wake uses one trick SPEED! He doesnt have the counter moves or spins to get around
    tackles like Ware. He definately has the tools to add more to his game. Yet why change? When your SPEED KILLS.

24. foycore79

foycore79 Hall Of Famer

I thought that I also read somewhere that Wake was one of if not the top guy to get doubled teamed last season,not to mention how many sacks Wake could have had on Tom if that rookie didnt hold the piss out of him

25. rrrrphin

rrrrphin Scout Team

this is great free publicity for Wake. i hope it eventually reaches officials as well. they might actually call 50% of the holding calls against him.