Cam Wake - the NFL's Best Pass Rusher of the last 3 years... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Wake - the NFL's Best Pass Rusher of the last 3 years...

GasPed

Active Roster
Reaction score
From PFF: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-of-pass-rushing-productivity-edge-rushers-2/

"...Once again, total pressure numbers don’t tell the whole story. While Ware has more pressure than any other player since 2009, he doesn’t lead the way in terms of our Pass Rushing Productivity rating. That honor belongs to Cameron Wake, with the PRP stat showing exactly why the Dolphins were right to hand the former CFL star big money. Wake had a sizeable lead from Ware in second, who was marginally better than former first round pick Jason Babin...."

I get tired of people saying "he's good, but not an elite pass rusher". He is elite - in fact, he's the best of the best! :up:

Side note: Joey Porter (the guy who wouldn't get off the field for Wake) is ranked as the 6th worst pass rusher of the past three years...:rolleyes:

cam is the best pass rusher right now. ware had more help in that department, but sure has hell doesnt get held as much. wake is a beast

Wake has a burst and closing speed that is unmatched. I'm excited to see what he will do in the 4-3 now that he doesn't have to drop back into coverage anymore. Vernon should have a good year too coming off the bench when teams will be focusing on Wake!!!

pump the brakes...wakes a great player and a elite pure pass rusher but demarcus ware is the gold standard at the position...d ware is rediculously talented in all aspects

pump the brakes...wakes a great player and a elite pure pass rusher but demarcus ware is the gold standard at the position...d ware is rediculously talented in all aspects

I'd put Jared Allen up there as well

The post says best pass rusher, not best 3-4 OLB.

Ware is the best 3-4 OLB out there and has been for a while, but Wake is in the top 2 for pass rushing skills only.

And he's not in the top 100 on NFL Network Players countdown..............what a joke

that countdown list is a joke, im not even an Eli fan and he is #31, Andre Johnson barely played last season and is #15, Peyton Manning who didnt take a snap is #50, not only was Gronk rated #20 but Jimmy Graham (also great but Gronk is better and had a historical season and was easily a top 10 player last season) was rated 7 spots ahead of Gronk

The post says best pass rusher, not best 3-4 OLB.

Ware is the best 3-4 OLB out there and has been for a while, but Wake is in the top 2 for pass rushing skills only.

ware makes tackles look silly with his initial quickness and burst...i mean i've seen plenty of snaps against solid nfl tackles where they never even laid a hand on him...best pass rusher to me is the most feared guy and most effective guy off the edge when it comes to getting to the qb...and bar none thats still demarcus ware...filthy

One of the smartest recruiting decisions that Jeff Ireland has made. He is a terrific player who went undrafted (despite a pretty amazing physique and Penn State pedigree), failed to make the Giants team and then went to play in Canada, where he was given an opportunity and excelled. The key learning is that good players can come from anywhere (including the CFL). Some guys have got the ability, they just need an opportunity.

Damarcus Ware since coming into the league...
8 sacks.

Jared Allen

9 Sacks

Cameron Wake

Now i love Cam as much as the next person, and yes pressures aren't included here and cam gets a hell of a lot of pressure.... but come on.... try and convince me he is a better pass rusher than Damarcus or Jared let alone the entire league.

it's weird with jared cause i don't see elite tools but the guy just produces...that said if you asked every tackle in the nfl who scares them as a pass rusher the most i bet the vast majority roll off demarcus ware's name without skipping a beat...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jared Allen really is an animal, he just plays balls to the walls for 4 quarters. Nothing in his game really blows my mind he is just a machine.

Now i love Cam as much as the next person, and yes pressures aren't included here and cam gets a hell of a lot of pressure.... but come on.... try and convince me he is a better pass rusher than Damarcus or Jared let alone the entire league.
Well, that's what the PFF article tries to do - it shows clearly that Ware, while he had 50 more pressures than Wake, required 375 more snaps to do it. And Jared Allen, while he put up great numbers, had almost 600 more pass rush snaps than Wake to do his thing.

Sacks are one measure of pass rush effectiveness, but it's a pretty limited measure. Not saying PFF's "pressure" score is the right answer either, but I think it's definitely more complete.

Now, as for what your own eyes tell you - that's a different story altogether - it's a matter of subjective opinion. I won't even try to convince you out of that one. ;)

it's weird with jared cause i don't see elite tools but the guy just produces...that said if you asked every tackle in the nfl who scares them as a pass rusher the most i bet the vast majority roll off demarcus ware's name without skipping a beat...
That would be an interesting poll. Ware is a freak, no question.

But the numbers don't lie - on a per snap basis, Wake generates more pressure. :)

Back
Top Bottom