Can I say it... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can I say it...

I wish I could get as excited as everyone else, because there is certainly a lot to like about the youngster, but I just can't see it. I think he is going to have real issues gaining seperation in the NFL. Hope I am wrong but watch the tape how easily college corners could bait him and close the gap with the ball in the air. I see him as a career slot, working the underneath but never being a threat to be a number 1. Maybe he can play some #2 in a pinch like Bess did for a year, but like Bess he will show up as being an easy cover on the edge. When I watch his tape I see Davone Bess without the quickness. I think he will be a good slot for years to come but not a very high ceiling.

Yeah yeah I know I hate the dolphins and am a troll and all that jazz, just giving my opinion.

You're an outstanding contributer to FH and certainly entitled to your opinion and not a "troll" but I think some folks are too hung up on a few hundredths of a second traveling 40 yards especially for a seam and mid range receiver cutting that differential in half on a 20 yard route. vis a vis:

Debunking the so-called “handicap” of Landry Running A “4.6”

His best time when healthy was 4.58. How does that compare to Kelvin Benjamin’s 4.61? And where was he drafted? Compare that to Mike Evans combine 40 yard dash of 4.53 and Marquis Lee 4.52. Hell even compare that Sammy Watkins and Odell Beckham’s 4.43’s.

Let’s put that into perspective.

Landry ran 40 yards in 5/100ths of a second slower than Mike Evans, 6/100ths of a second slower than Marquis Lee and it took him 15/100ths of a second more to cover 40 yards than it did Watkins or Beckham. Did I say 40 yards? Landry more slowly covering that distance would be the difference of 1/6th to 1/20th of a second!

Now maybe that counts in a horse race or foot race straight down the field, but when your bread and butter are slot and mid range receptions, you can take those 40 yard times and half them at best. So how much faster are the others in getting down the field in 20 yards or less? Answer: depending if they all get off the line, juke the defenders at relatively the same burst, then it’s a minuscule amount... Count “one mississippi” and you don’t even get through the “one” !

Now when you factor in Landry actually being the go-to guy on a high level SEC pro offense even though it also featured Beckham, that his work ethic and attitude are topnotch, that he has a knack to get free, fight for the ball and then make the extra yards, especially in a crunch, catching with his velcro hands, then really, how significant over an average 20 yard pass is 1/12th to 1/40th of a second, if at all?

Watching him turn Brent Grimes around like a seasoned vet in that clip from the website leaves me feeling pretty confident that upgraded our WR core with this pick.

I have said it since we drafted him....barring injury he will have a great pro career.

Too many amatuer evaluators(and some so called pro) get caught up in track 40 times and pay too little attention to the skills that make a receiver truly great.

I have to agree that 40 times are not what is going to make or break this draft pick. Getting open, catching whats thrown to you and YAC are what I look for in a wide out.
He does not need 4.5 speed to be effective.
Defenses will have to content with a multitude of talent on this Miami offense. Landry's speed will not make or break him. Consistency is all he will need.

Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews and Landry sound awful damn good to me. Best receiver group we have had in a very long time.

Its as simple as the fact that many of the greatest receivers in NFL history were considered TRACK slow...this is football.

Landry is very very fluid, his body control and ball adjustment skills are just downright amazing, he will be special for us..

[video=youtube;ZiJ0EwNclSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJ0EwNclSM[/video]

He has amazing balance to along with those huge consistant hands, and he is intense and fearless going for the ball...awesome video. thanks DK

Can't wait to see him play! I think he and Armon Binns are gonna make a big difference on offense this season. Hartline, wallace, Gibson, Landry, Mathews, and Binns sounds like a capable group. I'm wondering who is supposed to step up for us at TE right now though! I'm thinking Clay, Sims, and Egnew is a little underwhelming.

I much rather have my rookies speaking and acting like this. The train wreck in Cleveland is not the distraction I want my rookies going through.

Bess was a money receiver for this team from his rookie year on.

I think he is certainly closer to Bess than he is to Boldin. He does not get off the line like Boldin, Boldin's ability to get YAC is unmatched, and Boldin is a much better athlete, with the ability to be a jump ball catcher. Landry has the ability to make any catch he's in range for, runs crisp routes, and has the ability to make some tough catches. That sounds a lot like Bess his first couple years in Miami, which isn't even a bad thing, Bess was loved here his first couple of years and was the type of receiver that every QB needed in their offense. Now, Landry does have the potential to be more than Bess, as he's a more willing blocker and is tougher than Bess, but there's no need to take it as an insult when someone compares him to Bess.

I think he is certainly closer to Bess than he is to Boldin. He does not get off the line like Boldin, Boldin's ability to get YAC is unmatched, and Boldin is a much better athlete, with the ability to be a jump ball catcher. Landry has the ability to make any catch he's in range for, runs crisp routes, and has the ability to make some tough catches. That sounds a lot like Bess his first couple years in Miami, which isn't even a bad thing, Bess was loved here his first couple of years and was the type of receiver that every QB needed in their offense. Now, Landry does have the potential to be more than Bess, as he's a more willing blocker and is tougher than Bess, but there's no need to take it as an insult when someone compares him to Bess.

While this might be truer than false, the fact remains according to some of our LSU fans that rather than Beckham Jr, the wideout taken #12 in the draft, it was Landry who was the go-to guy in crunch time. As far as endzone receptions, I don't think you could ever say that of Bess. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom