Can the Dolphins realistically make the playoffs? Schedule Reassesment

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mandal24, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mandal24

mandal24 Genesis

After watching the blueprint of this team the last 3 weeks, this is how I see things working out. Obviously, it's impossible to foresee everything, but there are positive thoughts when looking towards the future

vs St. Louis- Might be the worst receiving group in football (especially with Amendola out). Steven Jackson will have problems gaining positive yards. Their secondary is tough though with Finnegan and Jenkins. Dolphins win 24-13 (3-3)

Bye

@NYJ- This team is a mess, and after playing the Texans tonight, I see this team continuing to implode. Dustin Keller and Stephen Hill SHOULD be back by this game but I cannot see the Dolphins losing to a team that is on the brink of destruction. Dolphins win 20-10 (4-3)

@Indy- This is a game where the Dolphins will out-physical the small-ish Colts. We must win time of possession and keep Luck and the Colts offense off the field. Dolphins win in a boring heavy-run game 17-16 (5-3) (I could see the Dolphins losing this one due to back to back away game plus the Luck to Wayne connection)

vs Tennessee- Titans are just an all around horrible team. Their point differential is abysmal. Chris Johnson should be benched yet they don't have anyone worth replacing him. Dolphins win 27-17 (6-3)

@Buffalo- This Bills team is the same team as last year. Start off hot and quickly fall off. I don't see the Dolphins having problems with this team as they're up and down ways will hurt the team's psyche. (7-3)

vs Seattle- Home against a West Coast team coming East. This team lives and dies with Lynch and I see the Dolphins front 7 controlling this game. Russel Wilson has also been erratic and I see the Fins winning big 31-13 (8-3)

vs NE- Brady and that offense is still too good against a suspect Dolphins secondary. Plus Riddley is looking like a stud to keep the Patriots offense balanced. Dolphins lose 28-17 (8-4)

@ San Fran- 49ers win, they're looking like a SB contender while Fins are still in rebuild mode. Although it will be interesting to see the 49ers offense become more one-dimensional as Gore will struggle. I'm okay with a loss here. Dolphins lose 27-10 (8-5)

vs Jacksonville- Dolphins come home after an ugly loss and wreak havoc on a struggling Jaguars team. 34-17 (8-6)

vs Buffalo- At this point of the season, I see Gailey either fired or on the hot seat. Fitzpatrick will have lost all confidence and the Bills implode. 27-17 (9-6)

@NE- This game will be for the playoffs... Do the Patriots bench their starters? If they do, easy win, if they do have something to play for, I can't see the Dolphins winning this game in Foxboro in late December. With Pats starters, Dolphins lose 30-17, just missing the playoffs (9-7)... If Pats bench starters, Dolphins win making the playoffs as a 5th seed wildcard.

The one game where I think the Dolphins could struggle is in Indianapolis. Overall though this is a weak schedule so I think the Dolphins can make some noise.

2. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

It's not going to be easy. Jets and Arizona games are going to come back and haunt this team late in the season.

3. xSxPxHx

xSxPxHx Scout Team

:bobdole:

4. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

you have us beating Jacksonville but counted it as a loss when you said 8-6....anyway, sounds good....hope it can happen but that Indy game is ot going to be easy and the jets game is never easy either.

Ozzy rules!!

5. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

St. Louis is going to be tough fellas. There are no gimme's in this league just ask the Packers who got beat by the Colts.

I think the Jets second time around will be tough but without Revis and Holmes I like our chances.

Indy...50/50...remember Luck is getting better and better just like Tannehill and Luck has Reggie Wayne who is much harder to cover than A.J. Green IMO...dude runs some sick routes.

Tennessee, I like our chances with them as well.

Buffalo, I like our chances.

Seattle, I don't like our chances...that defense can play and play at a high level.

NE, we still can't compete with these guys.

49ers, not happening.

Jags, I like our chances a lot in this game.

Buffalo, I like our chances here again

NE, not happening.

6. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

You have them at 8-5 after losing to SF, and go on to say they beat the Jags the next week. However, you have them listed as 8-6 after the Jags game. They should be 9-6 at that point according to your predictions.

7. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

13-3 with home field advantage throughout IMO

8. Djavelin

Djavelin Head Dolphin In This Pod Donator

It has been like that for years. If we win half of the close games over the last 4 years we are talking about a different record and right their for playoffs.

9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

The Jets and Cards losses could come back to haunt.

Just to be talking playoffs is an accomplishment.

10. Mike8272

Mike8272 Active Member

vs St. Louis- I think we'll edge this game, (3-3)

Bye

@NYJ- Probably another close game, but I back us to win (4-3)

@Indy- Depends how Luck plays, if he pushes on from this weeks performance and the Pagano effective continues it could be a difficult game. For me, Indy win (4-4)

vs Tennessee- The Fins bounce back with a win, (5-4)

@Buffalo- I can't see the Bills turning things around significantly with their head coach and Fitz in control, so the Fins win another game, (6-4)

vs Seattle- Probably going to be a dull game, but the Fins edge it in a low scoring encounter (7-4)

vs NE- Can't see us beating the Patriots if their offense turns up as it has recently, Pats win, (7-5)

@ San Fran- Fins suffer back to back defeats, (7-6)

vs Jacksonville- The Jags are one of the worst teams in the league and I can't see it getting better for them. Fins win heavily in a stand out Tannehill performance, (8-6)

vs Buffalo- Another Fins win, (9-6)

@NE- Another Patriots win, (9-7)

---

I'm being somewhat optimistic in some of my predictions. But I think that we should be able to compete with most of the teams, and I see some of them being close encounters. If the team can close out games we'll do well, but as things stand I'd be happy with any improvement on last years 6-10 will be a bonus. But the play offs are a possibility if the team can continue motoring forwards, and the next 6 games will decide that, because by the time we face the Patriots we'll either be in the race or not. But in terms of our division I think we have a chance to finish 2nd, which would be anice first season for the Philbin and co.

11. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I think the OP wants to make a hypothetical scenario and sell it as a realistic outcome.

Possible... Yea anything is possible. Realistic. Not likely.

12. zackmandude63

zackmandude63 Poconos Phinatic!

I think we split with with Pats. We always play them tough.

13. phinatic0083

phinatic0083 Scout Team

We will lose some of the so called easy games. I wouldn't be surprised by a bills and Seahawks losses

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Considering cincy is in the top wild card spot right now and we beat them and we are only 1 game behind them, i like our chances of having a good shot at the playoffs.

15. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I agree, and SF is a great team but I think we play similar styles of football and as long as this team improves week to week, its not unfathomable to beat SF or NE.

We had NE 17-0 at half last year. This team would not falter under this coaching staff.

I always felt this team could go 10-6 tops but likely 8-8. Every week somone is stepping up. This week Reshad Jones is looking the part and Nolan Carrol did a nice job. We get Clay and Gaffney going....look out, we could be the new San Fran.

16. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

This is typical, where people believe we will beat the teams with losing records and lose against the teams with winning records, but it rarely happens this way....Im sure we will beat one of those winning record teams, as we will be let down by losing to a team with a losing record.

17. CASSINO

CASSINO Starter

I am sticking to my 11-5 predection coulda been 13-3 damn missed kicks

18. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

We need to go on a tear. We need to sweep the Bills, smash the Jets in game two, and at least split with the Patriots to even have a shot.

Is it possible? Yes. Our defense is really stepping up, and we are competitive. It all comes down to whether or not Tannehill can continue to improve each week. If Tannehill keeps getting better, we can definitely win our share.

But it is not likely. Losing those two overtime games really, really hurts.

19. vega51

vega51 Well-Known Member

9-7 or 10-6

20. Hayden Fox

We still have to remember that this year is going to be a process. Let's work to make progress in '12.

21. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Im still holding to my 9-7 preseason prediction. There are quite a few games left on that schedule where we play teams we are better than.

We arent beating the 9ers. Outside of that every game is winnable. 10-6 is a real possibility. If we had beaten the Jests, 11-5 and a division title were there.

22. Valbon8

Valbon8 Phins Up!

We were beating Arizona 13-0 too and we saw what happened there...

Follow me on Twitter @vlatifi

23. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

Sadly I dont think so. Those two OT losses were KILLER.

24. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

My prediction as well. if New England sits everyone maybe 10 wins and a playoff game. i like our chances.

25. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

9-7 with a wildcard doesn't seem impossible, but not very likely. But the Dolphins will probably overachieve this year.

26. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

I don't see playoffs, but 9-7 isn't out of the question.

27. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

We will split with the patriots... Seattle I can see us losing... We wont lose to Jax.

28. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

9-7 is realistic. Those past 2 losses might just screw us over

29. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Possible, yes. Probable, no. My prediction of 8-8 at best is still looking good. And it's ridiculously premature to start chalking up wins against the Patriots-- whether we win a game here or there against them, they've owned the division since 2001 and have been absolutely dominant against the Dolphins since 2007, to the tune of 8 wins and only 2 losses.

30. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

If we can beat the patriots at home and the Jets can beat them once its conceivable we both could be 9-6 going into week 17. Maybe this really will be 2008 all over again only this time we deny the Pats and take the division.

31. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

Are you guys kidding me? We can beat every team on the schedule. Hell, if Tannehill doesn't throw 3 interceptions IN HIS FIRST PRO GAME we may have beat the Texans. If Dan Carpenter makes 2 field goals that the average NFL kicker should be able to make, especially in crucial game situation we are easily and I mean easily 4-1.

PLEASE stop under estimating this team. We are as good as any team in the NFL and we traded away 2 our of best players hahaha and we have a rookie QB. Oh yeah don't we have the worst WR corps in the league? Hahaha knock it off!!! This team is so good its unreal. Not to mention a 1st year albeit Super Bowl winning coach. This team has the coaching and talent needed to win a championship THIS year.

Watch out!

32. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Possibly, the team needs to just keep winning and let the chips fall where they may.

33. Hayden Fox

This team has little to no depth. Once injuries kick in, it will be tough on the Fins. The only areas the Fins have quality depth IMO is QB, RB, G and DT. Depth is painfully thin at tackle, receiver, DE, LB and CB.

I will stick by the idea of wanting to see progress which we are right now.

34. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

So true. What a great feeling to finally have a legit, long term solution at QB! This time last year we were talking about suck for luck.

My passion is officially back. Pessimism moved out after the Arizona game.

35. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Good point. This and inexperience overall is why I think they end up around 7-9 and that's a 7-9 to be excited about. I can't believe it took THIS long to find a franchise QB, but he's here now.

36. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I highly doubt we beat the 49ers either. Most likely they'll keep it close for a few quarters until they pull away, but the NFL is strange. I could also see them beating the 49ers and losing to a lowly team like the Titans.

37. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

That schedule is so incredibly weak. We should be favorites in every game except SF, NE, and that tough road game in SEA. Anything can happen and always expect surprises, but 9-7 is very possible.

38. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

IF he doesn't throw three interceptions...well it did happen. There's a rookie QB on the roster and that factors into the record. The Texans have a great defense so you have to give them credit. As Hayden pointed out, lack of depth at some positions also factors into the record. Injuries happen. The Cardinals won at the end because the secondary is suspect. That factors into the record.

The only one I'll give you is the Jets game. A kicker missing a late kick makes it feel more like you "should've" won.

Slow down..we aren't as good as any team in the league. We're an average, ascending team. That's something to be proud of.

39. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Your probably not far off...Indy won't be the struggle though. The Dolphin front seven will be all over Luck and the Dolphins will manhandle them.

The Jets game will be much tougher than you seem to think, Seattle will much tougher than you think.

The only way the Niners score 27 on us is if The Dolphins turn the ball over a lot, if we play a clean game, that game will be close.

We will steal a game from the Patsies as our front seven will dominate again.

40. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 A True Fan

I'm worried about this week actually

41. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Holy Christ, I want that same flavor kool-aide your having.

42. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

We play Seattle at home which is HUGE. Going to Seattle Id say we lose. Them coming to Miami, I think were favored in that matchup.

We drew the best possible home/away scenarios for those NFC west teams. The Rams and Seahawks are much more dangerous in their buildings than on the road. That is the two teams you would hand pick to play at home instead of on the road out of that division. When you consider that we arent likely to beat San Fran no matter where we play that game, it works out perfect that we got those two mediocre teams who are much better at home, in Miami.

San Fran and the two NE games are the only games I would consider us an underdog left on the schedule. I wouldnt be shocked if we beat NE either. 10-6 is a strong possibility. 9-7 is real strong. Damn, if we had beaten the Jests we would have a shot at a division title by splitting with NE and going 11-5.

43. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

That's what I was thinking, San Fran has to run the ball and play defense...so do we...you know another team that does that...Minnesota, and they beat San Fran, why not us?

44. BC26

BC26 Active Member

It depends if Tanny hits the rookie wall or not. Either way, this is the start of something good!

45. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

I hate to throw some negativity into this thread, but the playoffs (or a winning record) are out of the question UNLESS Miami starts scoring more TDs per game... especially in the 4th quarter. They can compete with anyone for 45 minutes, but the offense stinks in the 4th quarter and this places too much pressure on the defense.

46. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm still in the frame of mind where I want to see the team get better on a week-to-week basis, and while I root hard for us to win every game (I was exhausted after the Cinci game - and more relieved than excited), I'm more interested in seeing the development of our young players (Tannehill being the most important piece). There isn't a game that I think we can't win, but there also aren't games that I think we can't lose. We should be right around 8-8, and with our continued improvement, I think we have a better shot at 10-6 than 6-10.

After we put the coaching staff together, I insisted that player development would be one of the key areas we'd see improve. R. Jones and S. Smith look much better than I imagined either player ever looking. ****, N. Carroll is playing decent football. The LB'ers are all playing at a much higher level. Starks is having his best season - after a couple underwhelming seasons. On the other side of the ball, we have O-linemen developing at a nice rate. Jerry isn't playing great, but he's playing much better, and Pouncey and Martin are improving at a solid clip. Hartline is playing better than ever, and of course, Tannehill is exceeding all but the wildest expectations.

47. GasPed

GasPed Well-Known Member

I think 9-7 is a pretty realistic assessment if things keep going the way they are. Totally agree that NE will give us problems as will the 49ers. And Seattle, even at our place will be an epic defensive struggle (their defense is really good). But 9-7 may be good enough?

48. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 A True Fan

We could easily lose to STL or Indy, or one of the Buffalo games, or Seattle

take it slow with playoff hopes. Lets just hope Tannehill continues t improve, tough week this week with Finnegan and Jenkins shutting down hartline and bess

49. DolphinzD

DolphinzD Boom!! How you like that??

In my opinion, the loss to the Jets stings a lot worse than the Arizona loss, for obvious reasons (it's the Jets, divisional game at home, how bad the Jets have looked recently, etc.).

There are some very favorable games on the schedule. Buffalo, Jacksonville and Tennessee all look awful right now, as well as the Jets. St. Louis is a much different team on the road than at home, especially without Amendola. Those are six very winnable games right there.

The Indianapolis and Seattle games will be tougher, but certainly winnable. The toughest games are most likely the two with New England, and San Francisco.

I am just trying to take a realistic approach. Hopefully Tannehill continues to develop, and the team as a whole continues to improve. If the Dolphins are near play-off contention (or at least .500) at the end of the season, I think that's a good sign.

50. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Whoa. You're totally right. Seattle is at home. Don't know why I thought otherwise. That changes everything. The game becomes extremely winnable.