Can we talk about the draft class | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can we talk about the draft class

motormouthmaz

Rookie
Reaction score
For just one second imagine who McMillian doesn't get hurt who could be the best pick of the class. Can people give there opinion on where they think this draft class ranks. It could be our best class in the last 20 years I think. It's nice to see the front office and coaching staff picking and developing young players.

For just one second imagine who McMillian doesn't get hurt who could be the best pick of the class. Can people give there opinion on where they think this draft class ranks. It could be our best class in the last 20 years I think. It's nice to see the front office and coaching staff picking and developing young players.

I can’t wait to see what happens with this team next season. If RT was playing this year, we would be 5-0 right now and probably 8-0 by the time we play Carolina. I hope McMillian cones back at 100%.

I keep telling people to pump the breaks but I guess you don't see that cliff up ahead...you're about to head into the ravine.

It's been said about other draft classes. We thought we had a LT for the next 15 years with Jake Long...one injury and he went down hill quickly. That class also included Phillip Merling (who never made sense to me cause he didn't fit the 3-4) which a bunch of people were high on after he had a sack and an INT run back for a TD early in his career. Kendall Langford, who was very solid at DE but not spectacular. Lex Hilliard, who was good in short yardage and Chad Henne who we all hoped would develop...greatest draft class since... I remember seeing on here but the class ended up being not so great.

Truthfully I would be concerned with McMillan when he returns. Some guys are never the same after a leg injury...especially a knee. I hope the Dolphins don't wait around to see if he turns out OK and take another linebacker in the draft...at least one. You're doing good in this league when two guys last 5+ years in the NFL. It's a promising class but it's a long way from knowing if it's really any good. Dolphins have had so much misfortune with draft picks and injuries...Yatil Green, Jake Long, Jelani Jenkins was always hurt, Mike Pouncey is always hurt, Koa Misi, A.J. Edds never saw the field after his knee injury, Eddie Moore, and I'm sure there's more but the point is McMillan may never be what everyone hoped and any one of these guys could have their promising careers cut short and then we'll all be talking about how unfortunate the draft was and what could have been.

There's also the possibility that this is it...what you see right now is the best these guys are going to get. Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Will Davis, Jamar Taylor, Dion Jordan...none of them developed beyond what we saw from their rookie seasons. Not one of them progressed and that turned out to be our worst draft class in...forever.

Harris is "in progress" player...still a very high season that could be more of a factor at the end of the season.

Tank is a big surprise, I think most thought he would take a year to develop but seems to be doing well. HE is going to have games where he looks like a rookie but overall seems like an upgrade to Maxwell (although I think UK would be an upgrade to Maxwell).

Godchaux has been solid since pads came on....can't have enough solid d-lineman.

I think if you look at the off-season as a whole it has been solid. Hayes has been an excellent pickup and I think we are all anticipating adding in McDonald to the mix in a few weeks.

I keep telling people to pump the breaks but I guess you don't see that cliff up ahead...you're about to head into the ravine.

It's been said about other draft classes. We thought we had a LT for the next 15 years with Jake Long...one injury and he went down hill quickly. That class also included Phillip Merling (who never made sense to me cause he didn't fit the 3-4) which a bunch of people were high on after he had a sack and an INT run back for a TD early in his career. Kendall Langford, who was very solid at DE but not spectacular. Lex Hilliard, who was good in short yardage and Chad Henne who we all hoped would develop...greatest draft class since... I remember seeing on here but the class ended up being not so great.

Truthfully I would be concerned with McMillan when he returns. Some guys are never the same after a leg injury...especially a knee. I hope the Dolphins don't wait around to see if he turns out OK and take another linebacker in the draft...at least one. You're doing good in this league when two guys last 5+ years in the NFL. It's a promising class but it's a long way from knowing if it's really any good. Dolphins have had so much misfortune with draft picks and injuries...Yatil Green, Jake Long, Jelani Jenkins was always hurt, Mike Pouncey is always hurt, Koa Misi, A.J. Edds never saw the field after his knee injury, Eddie Moore, and I'm sure there's more but the point is McMillan may never be what everyone hoped and any one of these guys could have their promising careers cut short and then we'll all be talking about how unfortunate the draft was and what could have been.

There's also the possibility that this is it...what you see right now is the best these guys are going to get. Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Will Davis, Jamar Taylor, Dion Jordan...none of them developed beyond what we saw from their rookie seasons. Not one of them progressed and that turned out to be our worst draft class in...forever.

Or....they all continue to improve and actually get BETTER than what we are seeing now.

Odds are a few will pan out and some wont, as you said above.

That said, I'm happy getting some production out of Harris, I'm still not expecting much from him till next year, anything he does now is icing imo.

Tank and Goddchauex (sp?! lol) have really impressed me. Sure there are going to be bumps, but to come in and produce as a starter year 1 and NOT be a first or second round pick is just fantastic imo.

McMillan could be great, but as you said, injuries are tricky, there is also a possibility he doesnt play another NFL snap.

All that said about the draft class, I think it speaks more to the FO and hopefully an indicator that their talent evaluation has improved.

Regardless of how history ends up judging the class, its refreshing over the last two years to see our young guys getting playing time right away and not sitting on the bench, with everyone except the HC wondering whats going on with them.

Though I agree with this, we really can't deny this class has looked darn good so far...

1. A DE that is starting to show pretty good to good ability, with potential of being special.

2. A corner that has looked like a keeper already.

3. Not one but two DT that each look at the very least very solid.

4. A LB that (speculation on my part, especially, considering he will have to come back from a bad injury), and could be the M-LB we have been wishing for.

but as you said, obviously for this to be a good class, they will all have to continue developing. I am happy for now.

We are improving as far as drafting talent, but at the same time throwing away valuable draft picks left and right as it seems to be Tannenbaum's norm. Maybe Grier is actually a decent scout, but as far FA goes I'm far from sold on Tannenbaum. I mean we just wasted another 5th rounder on a LB who will never even see the field. Between the Carroo trade and that alone I want to pull my hair out.

Though I agree with this, we really can't deny this class has looked darn good so far...

1. A DE that is starting to show pretty good to good ability, with potential of being special.

2. A corner that has looked like a keeper already.

3. Not one but two DT that each look at the very least very solid.

4. A LB that (speculation on my part, especially, considering he will have to come back from a bad injury), and could be the M-LB we have been wishing for.

but as you said, obviously for this to be a good class, they will all have to continue developing. I am happy for now.

I'll not stop with "good" players. I'll add Asiata has potential, Brendel doesn't look "bad," Haack, and some people see potential in Smith. Certainly, injuries influence that and, yes, "potential" is often no more that that, but this draft is CLEARLY better than the all-hope-is-lost-by-September drafts of times past. Tangentially, some treat every injury as if it's a career-ender. Tannehill is done. McMillan (sp) will never recover enough to be successful. Sometimes it is, but often it isn't. And those who think draft picks are All-Pro or "busts?" Get a life. Join reality. Personally, if a draft pick is "average" in year 3, I consider that a good pick.

Harris: disruptive and showing improvement. Must continue to progress, but I like what I am seeing so far.

Tankersley: even if this is his ceiling, his ceiling is quality NFL starting cornerback, and it doesn't look like a fluke to me.

Godchaux: quality NFL defensive tackle, drafted on day 3.

If McMillan makes a full recovery, that is one player I am not concerned about. He is going to be a good NFL linebacker. So that's two quality defenders we drafted, one guy who is a work in progress but has definitely shown flashes, and one guy who looks the part but suffered a freak injury.

At this point, even if Asiata doesn't pan out, this is still looking to be a very good draft class.

Godchaux was getting double teamed on the handful of successful running plays in the first half yesterday. Think about that for a second with this defensive line.

Back
Top Bottom