Can we talk about the draft class | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can we talk about the draft class

I say this in genuine honesty, but I was surprised by the reaction from (what certainly seemed to be) most Dolphins fans to the drafting of Cordrea Tankersley.

The center of the narrative about their drafting Tankersley, between fans, draft media, and Dolphins media, seemed to be in the negative. I was genuinely surprised by that, and not just because default sentiment about draft picks seems to be homer-ish. It was like being at a basketball game and watching a player hit a three pointer, putting your hands up and cheering, and turning around to find the rest of the crowd were all booing. I guess I was just that insulated from whatever the primary narrative had come to be on the player.

Later people started informing me that Mel Kiper basically did a hit job on Tankersley on national television about his run support (I didn't really watch the coverage), and there was also a perception setting in that Tankersley was a terrible scheme fit for the Dolphins.

That started to make a LITTLE more sense, but still didn't pass the smell test. Tankersley made tackles against the run and pass that resulted in offensive failure with regularity at Clemson. Statistically he was among the very best at that among all corners. You can look that up if you want. And as for the scheme fit, did people really think the Dolphins would have been targeting Cordrea (to the point they were even considering the guy in the 1st round) if the player didn't match the scheme they planned to run under the new defensive coordinator?

The future is now for the young guy. I've been hearing him compared favorably to Sam Madison and I can certainly see that.
Hey C.K, I wish you were here more often. I really miss the post game reports that used to appear after games.

Jordan Phillips really showed up sunday. He might have even carried a top 5 grade.

Outplaying godchaux frankly which maybe was to be expected given how much the position is a developmental one. Miami the staff and the fan base should be excited about the talent in the building at dt

Later people started informing me that Mel Kiper basically did a hit job on Tankersley on national television about his run support (I didn't really watch the coverage), and there was also a perception setting in that Tankersley was a terrible scheme fit for the Dolphins.

Good post, but it was actually Mike Mayock. The comment was something like (paraphrasing), “he’s the least interested corner in this class in tackling.” That looks misleading at this point to say the least. Before he took such an aggressive stance, he should have carefully researched it, or he should have chosen his words carefully. This is because viewers are counting on your research to inform their opinion and rightfully so.

I hope this gets revisited by Mayock and he has a follow up or clarification. I’m guessing he saw something he liked which in reality was the exception not the rule. It looks sloppy. I seriously would doubt that Tank was soft and disinterested in tackling and now is doing fine on this point. He has got good size, reach, and a nice frame, and I think he’s actually physically aggressive.

EDIT. Found the exact wording

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804115/article/mike-mayocks-pickbypick-draft-analysis

97. Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Miami Dolphins

Analysis: "Tankersley is a highway speed guy. If you draw up a corner, this is the guy. He can run fast. He's a press corner. He's the least interesting defensive back in this entire draft in supporting the run. He was directly for support on two Dalvin Cook touchdowns and did not get involved at all."

Last edited:
Really excited we actually got some potential on defense, I want a few more next draft

tank didn't tackle on the tape I saw either...this might have been one of those Miami finds out how a guy is wired picks...that testing stuff they put prospects through to see how much they love football and will dedicate themselves to it and do they want to be great...cause on the field it feels like both our playing top 3 picks love the game and work at their craft...and I have zero doubts that raekwon isn't a student of the game

might be the same for godchaux and taylor too

whatever it is it's working keep it up

Tankersley has been very enthusiastic about launching himself into tackles, so any teams out there that didn't want to draft him because of that... yeah... oops.

tank didn't tackle on the tape I saw either...this might have been one of those Miami finds out how a guy is wired picks...that testing stuff they put prospects through to see how much they love football and will dedicate themselves to it and do they want to be great...cause on the field it feels like both our playing top 3 picks love the game and work at their craft...and I have zero doubts that raekwon isn't a student of the game

might be the same for godchaux and taylor too

whatever it is it's working keep it up

Agreed. Tangentially, there are people who evaluate prospects on their tape. Not a BAD thing, but significantly incomplete. Interviews, testing, evaluations, . . . a LOT of things teams see we fans never see. Some are so obsessed with tape as a complete evaluation tool, they must think every team drafts perfect players except Miami.

As far as the draft class, the ones we've seen seem to have the "fire" coaches always talk about. The "smarts." 2-3 solid starters next year and Gase/FO will have to be given grudging accolades.

...But as things stand you evaluate a draft class anymore by what they can give you in their first four seasons, because that's the amount of time that you get these players at pre-market price tags. After that, you're paying for whatever you get. ...
So glad to have you posting here again CO!

Everything in your post was spot on, but I wanted this to be highlighted. In this era of free agency, developing players is very secondary to immediate production. IMHO, this is a major reason we don't get the OL fixed.

Technique is more important today for potential draftees than it has ever been. Play now is the way to get paid.

A rough grading done by USAToday using pro-football-reference's AV (average value) rating for all teams' draft picks between 2012 and 2016 have the Dolphins coming in 13th among all NFL teams in draft value.

Obviously every post-draft ranking is still incomplete while players are still active, but it's a start and gives an idea how well the Dolphins have done over the years. FYI: Seattle is #1 and Cleveland is #32. Ranking was done in April 2017 so doesn't include this season.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl...s-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

draftgrades_mia.jpg

PS Forbes did a very similar evaluation also using AV in April 2017 and ranked the Dolphins #12 of 32. https://www.forbes.com/sites/comcas...s-you-can-automate-by-next-week/#302776152eac

A rough grading done by USAToday using pro-football-reference's AV (average value) rating for all teams' draft picks between 2012 and 2016 have the Dolphins coming in 13th among all NFL teams in draft value.

Obviously every post-draft ranking is still incomplete while players are still active, but it's a start and gives an idea how well the Dolphins have done over the years. FYI: Seattle is #1 and Cleveland is #32. Ranking was done in April 2017 so doesn't include this season.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl...s-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

That timeframe is normally relevant as those drafts should be the core of your team...in their prime now. With the upheaval we have had, the clock really starts with the 2016 draft for us, imo.

draftgrades_mia.jpg

PS Forbes did a very similar evaluation also using AV in April 2017 and ranked the Dolphins #12 of 32. https://www.forbes.com/sites/comcas...s-you-can-automate-by-next-week/#302776152eac
Looks like they didn't like last years draft too much. Can't say I blame them...Howard hasn't been all that great. He allows a high percentage of completions and yards. Tunsil hasn't been very good either. Drake has been disappointing this year after showing a little promise last year. Carroo...yeah, not much to say about that. Lucas has bounced back-and-forth between practice squad and the 53. Grant is meh...Doughty will never play in the NFL and neither will Duarte IMO. Not as bad as 2013 but not looking too good right now either.

97. Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Miami Dolphins

Analysis: "Tankersley is a highway speed guy. If you draw up a corner, this is the guy. He can run fast. He's a press corner. He's the least interesting defensive back in this entire draft in supporting the run. He was directly for support on two Dalvin Cook touchdowns and did not get involved at all."

I think everyone saw that prior to the draft. Picking out two plays from a season is a bit unfair. I would add a few thoughts to that.... 1. Dalvin Cook made many defenders look stupid. 2. being asked to shut down the number 1 FSU reciever in man coverage can keep one occupied. 3. This "nugget" about his poor performance on those two plays distracts from his outstanding performance in college in coverage. Opposing QBs completed passes against him at less than a 40% clip his last 2 years at Clemson. 4. Combine size and speed showed no clear physical shortcomings.

As a Dolphin fan, I am damn glad we got him, I wanted him in round 2 (but McMillan was a good pick too), I was extremely happy to get him in the 3rd.

Looks like they didn't like last years draft too much. Can't say I blame them...Howard hasn't been all that great. He allows a high percentage of completions and yards. Tunsil hasn't been very good either. Drake has been disappointing this year after showing a little promise last year. Carroo...yeah, not much to say about that. Lucas has bounced back-and-forth between practice squad and the 53. Grant is meh...Doughty will never play in the NFL and neither will Duarte IMO. Not as bad as 2013 but not looking too good right now either.

Time will tell. I think Tunsil and Howard have shown signs of capability that, if they progress to that level of play consistently, would make the draft a success. Tunsil was excellent at guard last year and should be fine (actually I hope much more than fine) at tackle with some experience. Drake may never be more than change of pace depth at RB and ST. Realistically anything more that ST and depth after 3rd or 4th is bonus. (and for everyone who is going to point out the productive 5th rounders we have...they have been bonuses)

I think everyone saw that prior to the draft. Picking out two plays from a season is a bit unfair. I would add a few thoughts to that.... 1. Dalvin Cook made many defenders look stupid. 2. being asked to shut down the number 1 FSU reciever in man coverage can keep one occupied. 3. This "nugget" about his poor performance on those two plays distracts from his outstanding performance in college in coverage. Opposing QBs completed passes against him at less than a 40% clip his last 2 years at Clemson. 4. Combine size and speed showed no clear physical shortcomings.

As a Dolphin fan, I am damn glad we got him, I wanted him in round 2 (but McMillan was a good pick too), I was extremely happy to get him in the 3rd.
Bingo.

Back
Top Bottom