catch omar jacobs agian... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

catch omar jacobs agian...

ckparrothead said:
Yeah I wouldn't worry about his release because of the fact that his spirals are tight, the throws have about as much velocity as humanly possible, and his passes are really accurate. When you have all that going it's like worrying about going to battle with a tank because you don't like the paint job. I said he was a pusher the way Marino was a pusher. It's a throwing motion, I wasn't passing negative judgement on Jacobs.

To me, he looks practically superhuman out there compared to the QBs I'm use to seeing.

Jacobs impresses me more than previous QBs have this early in their final college seasons (presuming with Jacobs). Expect Jacobs to be 6-4, 230 the perfect size by the combine and have improved some of his mechanics.

I watched the game and paid attention to Omar J.

He shotputs the ball. Otherthing is the offense, spread combine with the run-n-shoot?

Yeah, once the TB went down, Wisc's defense adjusted and as a result Jacobs wasn't nearly as effective.

No.

ckparrothead said:
Yeah I wouldn't worry about his release because of the fact that his spirals are tight, the throws have about as much velocity as humanly possible, and his passes are really accurate. When you have all that going it's like worrying about going to battle with a tank because you don't like the paint job. I said he was a pusher the way Marino was a pusher. It's a throwing motion, I wasn't passing negative judgement on Jacobs.

To me, he looks practically superhuman out there compared to the QBs I'm use to seeing.

Ahh....theres a reason you're one of my favorite posters out there CK...:)

His second half collapse was partly a result of Pope being injured, hes a huge part of the offense, and LARGELY part of at least 4 huge drops by normally reliable recievers. Those drops would have sustained drives, or been for TD's. Thats what happened in the second half, nothing else can be said, Jacobs was still on. BG has a really good team this year, their defense just can't play man to man football with Wisconsons big uglies. We knew it going into the game, but for some reason we didn't adjust or bring 8 or 9 guys in the box. Theres still a very good chance of BG running the rest of the table and getting into a very good bowl game, but all that matters now is a MAC championship and destroying Toledo at home.

Omar has an very strong arm and an effortless deep-ball but like most QB's in college, he is always in the shotgun and it is hard to tell how he will work under center.

ckparrothead said:
He sure is showing a lot of heart in this first half going score for score with Wisconsin too, 35-35 at halftime and he just took his team 80 yards down the field with less than a minute remaining in the half to score a TD.

But in the second half if I understand right, Wisconsin pulled away, and BG only got one more TD (another TD throw by Jacobs) and Omar threw for 150 more yards. Obviously Wisconsin adjusted to something, and Jacobs couldn't keep them in it...is it lack of weapons? Or did Jacobs get confused. I'll evaluate some other time I guess.

Wis. lines took control!

NorFlaFin said:
I watched the game and paid attention to Omar J.

He shotputs the ball. Otherthing is the offense, spread combine with the run-n-shoot?

Yeah, once the TB went down, Wisc's defense adjusted and as a result Jacobs wasn't nearly as effective.

No.

I like how people criticize a guy with an unorthodox throwing motion just for the motion and not for what it represents. You know why people talk about throwing motion? Because normally, a good healthy throwing motion is viewed as a tool to get the maximum velocity, maximum accuracy, minimum release time, minimum chance of batted balls, etc. What I'm viewing right now from Omar Jacobs is a guy with a 3/4 delivery who is able to whip it 100 mph down the field and can throw the ball 50 yards on a rope with hardly any wind-up and who has a very quick release, and has yet to get a ball batted down. His throws don't come out low and pickable like they said Phil Rivers' throws did. So what, exactly, is the problem here? Dan Marino would look at Jacobs throw and see himself in the guy. Chris Spielman basically only got one opportunity all game to bring up Jacobs' 3/4 delivery as a possible negative, because Jacobs just does not have many errant throws. He overthrew one guy and Spielman said this is the first time Jacobs has thrown a bad ball overthrown to where you can say maybe his 3/4 delivery is hurting him.

His receivers are not getting very much separation and his throws are extremely accurate on every NFL type throw he is making. He throws the slant, and the ball is in front of the WR away from the defender. He throws the crossing pattern, the ball is on the front shoulder of the WR so he can continue to run. He throws down the field, the ball is high so his WR can use athletic ability to go up and get the ball, or if the guy has gotten behind his defenders the ball is dropping to him perfectly on the run. The one thing I've been looking for is for Jacobs to check down his options, but that is hard to tell. On his last TD pass of the first half it certainly seemed like he checked down, but you never know. Best part? I haven't even seen the guy run yet! Not once! According to his stats last year, he had an average of about 8 runs a game. If I'm watching just this game, I'm taking away the impression of Omar Jacobs as a guy like Byron Leftwich who is purely a pocket passer.

One thing that undoubtedly took the wind out of Bowling Green's sails was how Wisconsin was able to jam the ball down their throats on a consistent basis, eating up clock AND scoring points basically at will. They put Bowling Green's offense behind the eight ball on numerous occasions, and on most of them Jacobs came through for them. There was no reason Jacobs should have been able to keep that game tied 35-35 at halftime by the way Wisconsin was playing. Jacobs took his team 80 yards down the field for a touchdown in only 37 seconds to tie it up.

The way Wisconsin is jamming this ball...I don't see many teams out there that would keep up against this beating. I'd like to see Matt Leinart keep even the talented USC offense going if his defense decided to lay down like this against Brian Calhoun and the Wisconsin running offense.

I did not come away from watching this game thinking the Bowling Green team was anything but supported 100% by the talent of Omar Jacobs. I have yet to see the offensive line give Jacobs a clean pocket at all. I have not seen a whole lot of separation from their wide receivers and I have seen a number of drops from them. And their defense, my god to get run all over like that without making adjustments...this is not a good team. Jacobs will keep them in there.

The shotgun thing, I really don't see any problems with Jacobs learning to play under center. I actually think it will help him a lot when he does learn to take snaps from under center. He'll have the benefit of a pocket forming the right way, where in the shotgun it is collapsing quickly. This guy is the real deal. After reading KB21's observations of Jacobs I was expecting to see a guy with marginal talent that was benefitting from a wide open offense. Nothing could be further from the truth. This wide open offense is only working because of him.

Amazing arm and talent and doing it at a smaller school playing against bigger schools.

I don't see how anyone can criticize his throwing motion when he gets the consistent spiral that he does, when he gets the consistent accuracy he does, the consistent velocity that he does. Phil Rivers never put a spiral like this on the ball, nor did he ever get half the velocity that Jacobs has with just the flick of his wrist.

It would be the stupidest thing in the world if this guy fell down the draft board because of his 3/4 throwing motion. Almost as stupid as when Marino fell down the board because he got a reputation as an "ball pusher" instead of a "ball thrower"

CK just a few things about the team as a whole. The recievers are very talented and fast, they very good at getting seperation on deep routes and sans that last game consistently catch his balls and are a very good bunch after the catch. The offensive line has had the worst showing that Jacobs has ever seen from them. They replaced 3 guys including a long time center in Murkowski who was drafted by the Chargers. There was only about 4-6 sacks last year because they were such a good group. This year they need to gel because if you give Omar time, he will make a play. The defense is under a new coordinater who really changed things up, starting a true freshman in the secondary with another true freshman behind him. The scheme didn't look too effective to me, playing more LB's out of a 3-4 or 4-4 front may have done wonders for them, considering their are undersized, but its all hindsight now. But this remains an offensive team, and this team has the offenses to be competative, even it you didn't find it all that impressive as a whole. If you look back at some of my post from last year, you'll see I saw the same qualities that you see now, its just instinctive with him. Even last year he was very much a pass first player, only running as an absolute last option or on called option or draw plays. But I really like your write up, I'm looking foward to your opinion of a few other QB's as the season goes on, particuarly Brad Smith of Missouri.

Yeah I'm sure there's lots of REASONS why everyone around Jacobs sucked, but I mean they did suck. The OL let guys get to Jacobs pretty easily, the WRs were not getting much separation except deep, and in tight coverage Jacobs was putting the ball on the money and suffering drops.

Jacobs is going to be like Daunte Culpepper. It will definitely take some development. He needs to learn to take snaps under center, of course, but that's not really that big a hurdle.

Hey ck I have a quick question, it's no secret he can sling the ball, but does he make SMART throws? Does he throw into coverage often? To me that's what seperates the good QB's from the great ones. I haven't had the chance to see Jacobs play since early last season, so I'm not sure.

Noodle Arm said:
Hey ck I have a quick question, it's no secret he can sling the ball, but does he make SMART throws? Does he throw into coverage often? To me that's what seperates the good QB's from the great ones. I haven't had the chance to see Jacobs play since early last season, so I'm not sure.

This is the toughest part of evaluating a guy like this. Is it the offense or is it him? The replay game I watched was not a good sample because they actually cut out most of the 3-and-outs by Bowling Green and by Texas, showing instead only drives that resulted in some kind of points or excitement.

I can honestly say that I didn't see him make a truly bad decision out there, but I can honestly say that those bad decisions were likely all cut out of the film because he probably made them on drives that resulted in no points.

What was his TD/INT ratio last year? Like 41/4? That speaks pretty highly of him, I would think.

What I'm wondering honestly is how Wisconsin's D stacks up in the nation as far as top defenses. Someone mentioned they have an awesome defense. I'm not sure that's true the way Jacobs smacked them at times, but if it IS true then what more can ya say about Omar.

I think people get caught up in his statistics, and I don't like him at all as a prospect. He's good and will be a very high pick, but i'll pass, if I want a Qb with a bad throwing motion i'll take Vince Young, who is the best athelete in college football, but since he doesn't put up the same stats as Jacobs, everyone considers him to be a bad passer.

Back
Top Bottom