CFL a Bush league...? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CFL a Bush league...?

Is the CFL bush league, maybe, I don't know I don't go watch and I turn down free tickets from my sales reps all the time.

One thing I do know is that tomorrow I have a soccer game at Mcmahon stadium which is home to the Calgary Stampeders. We are division 4 in amateur soccer, so its not even that good. Do you think NFL teams would allow there stadiums to be used for this. I think not. That in itself is bush league to me.

Hey dude McMahon needs the coin and my kids youth group along with 4 other groups rented out the past few weeks... I think it is more about the coin then any higher moral standards

I canr stand the cfl but it is a different game. There a lot of players in the nfl that if they made the transition to the cfl would suck and vice versa. For example HBs like Ricky, Adrian and other down the field HBs I think would have a horrible time in the CFL. Beacuse a HB is more of a recieveing threat out of the back field then a running threat.

Personally I think the NFL and CFL should get together make a universal football rules and then make the CFL the minor leauges of the nfl where teams can put some of there project players to develope while playing football then sitting on the bench.

I would be fine if the NFL took some rules from the cfl like the no fair catch rule I think that is the CFLs best rule that they have I also see the rouge as a rule people would like but personally I wouldnt.

In the end the NFL needs the CFL to become the minors.

Agreed :buds:

Never said any college team could beat an NFL team but THe CFL is a differant animal. Its made up of guys that were not even drafted for the most part. USC had at least 4 nfl starters at this point this season which is 4 more than the CFL has in the entire league.

There used to be a college allstars versus the super bowl champions and these games were not lopsided. The majority of CFL players are not good enough to even make an NFL roster much less starts at any point.

I mean seriusly the most sought after CFL product will likely be a backup for us while USC alone may have 5 rookie starters alone this season. Please feel free to look over any CFL team and tell me where all these great players are. Stefen Lefors and Darient Durant are starting qb's there, Kenyon Rambo seventh round draft pick is thier best receiver. This is not a talent laden league. Andrew Greene was a 4 time all CFL player.

Believe me Im not trashing the league Im just speaking the truth. Im glad there are other leagues that play football.The CFL is basically is as talented as the WLAF.

I know you aren't trashing the league but every so often a player stands out from the rest amd he will be headed South to live out his dreams...

Wake happens to play D is all usually they are O players

Hey dude McMahon needs the coin and my kids youth group along with 4 other groups rented out the past few weeks... I think it is more about the coin then any higher moral standards

Our game is a night game, do you know how much its going to cost to have lights on the place. I don't think they're making any money off of it.

Our game is a night game, do you know how much its going to cost to have lights on the place. I don't think they're making any money off of it.

Well I can tell you that we had to pay about 10 bucks a kid and about 100 kids or so showed up between 4 church youth groups..., they had the stadium for about 3-4 hours..., I wouldn't think they would need to put lights on for youth soccer...?

A cut below is putting it mildly. A team like USC which at any time has at least 10 legitimate NFL players could beat a canadian team which usually has 0 legitimate NFL players. The canadian league is equivilant to the WLAF which is equilvilant to guys that are barely undrafted free agents. The canadian league is equivilant to a lesser talented divisions 1 football team

Actually, going back to 1988 Notre Dame leads all college's followed by USC and Ohio State and after that the numbers go way down.

Your point, however is ridiculous. It doesn't even merit analysis.

Just the experience and maturity of the CFL players alone is reason enough to put those teams on another level; let alone going into player analysis.

USC maybe has 10 or more players go to NFL camps but only a few will actually make a roster and even amongst those the average career is 4 years.

What happens to the rest????? Some go get other jobs.

Some make it on CFL teams. ARE YOU STARTING TO GET IT.

A lot of the CFL players are the very players you are trying to use as a point of superiority, only bigger,stronger and more experienced and more mature.

Again, any college team going to Canada and facing a CFL team would be completely blown out.

It doesn't matter what people think fo the CFL I don't like it or watch it just like I do not watch AAA baseball, D-League Basketball and AHL hockey, I watch the best and not the second best.

If the CFL folded I wouldn't shed one tear ever.

I do apreciate the point you are trying to make but I do respectfully disagree... Vehemently.

First off the leagues are so different it is difficult to even compare... In Canada it is a speed game where smaller talented atheletic guys can feast... Guys who are not prototypical NFL types but have excelled at every level prior.

Both leagues recruit and draft heavily from all of the U.S. programs big and small... While there is no doubt that the NFL gets the cream of the crop the CFL does get (an albeit tiny) share of national talent.

While you hold to the point that in a program like USC, 5 starters may... and let's be honest we still don't know... Actually play in the league... The huge bulk of that team was unfit for the NFL... AND CFL alike.

Maybe there is a better question... Could a cobbled together all star team from the NFL's various practice squads beat any CFL team on any given day... Hmmm JMO but I say probably not but a good game. That is where I would place the majority level of talent in the CFL... Between 3rd team and practice squads. In fact alot of guys come to the CFL to avoid that and showcase their talent for a hopeful shot at the 'bigs'...

Now... Could that same all star team beat USC... INTERESTING... I think so. In fact, to use your own argument you would HAVE TO AGREE since you are putting such a premium on guys who have made it to NFL squads... Meaning the all star team has 100 percent of players from NFL organizations while USC has only 5, despite the fact they are IYO NFL starting caliber. Your words not mine.

So it could be considered a 6ft and under league?

Like another poster said, if I was interested in watching Double A ball or NFL Europa or European Basketball, I'm sure the CFL would be a natural want to watch. But since its a league that is geared to a certain type of fan and the lack of talent, why bother?

Come on dude... Maybe you should take a peek at a CFL roster before making generalizations like that... Here's a couple to get ya started...

http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/index/team/7/sort/last

http://www.stampeders.com/team/player_roster/

Big lads. Not too many 6 ft and under...

I was actually trying to comment about the differences between the 2 leagues and that the Canadian game puts a premium on speed... Smaller guys can excel if they are fast and athletic, moreso than in the NFL.

Like another poster said, if I was interested in watching Double A ball or NFL Europa or European Basketball, I'm sure the CFL would be a natural want to watch. But since its a league that is geared to a certain type of fan and the lack of talent, why bother?

You watch College ball? Not the NFL but still worthwhile... Me... I'm a football fan as well as a Phins fan.. I can apreciate the other games without it threatening my enjoyment of the NFL or my manhood... :lol:

The CFL is a different game and I don't think anyone has EVER said that the talent is on par with the NFL... Don't really know what your point is here... You don't like it..? Don't watch it...

Dont watch it then. No one said you had to. Its geared to a certain type of athlete, one who isnt 6'3 205 at wr, or 6'2 235 at rb. The thing that makes me laugh is the amount of busts that come from the so called "big time" programs in College. It happens all the time. So if I follow the reasoning of some, does that mean Div 1 College ball is bush league because these players cant hack it in the NFL? Personally, I think the NFL places too much importance on size and strength, and some teams are starting to get away from that.

To your point about comparing the CFL to double A ball, is College ball not sort of a minor league for the NFL? With a very small percentage of the players u watch actually having careers in the NFL? I prefer the NFL to the CFL and Im Canadian, but Im not foolish enough to think there arent some really good football players down here. On this site, Davone Bess is basically a god already. His College team mate, Ryan Grice Mullen is playing in BC this year, and hes an excellent wr as well. Sometimes it just comes down to getting the right opportunity at the right time to make it in the NFL. I know thats tough for some to grasp on here.

Actually, going back to 1988 Notre Dame leads all college's followed by USC and Ohio State and after that the numbers go way down.

Your point, however is ridiculous. It doesn't even merit analysis.

Just the experience and maturity of the CFL players alone is reason enough to put those teams on another level; let alone going into player analysis.

USC maybe has 10 or more players go to NFL camps but only a few will actually make a roster and even amongst those the average career is 4 years.

What happens to the rest????? Some go get other jobs.

Some make it on CFL teams. ARE YOU STARTING TO GET IT.

A lot of the CFL players are the very players you are trying to use as a point of superiority, only bigger,stronger and more experienced and more mature.

Again, any college team going to Canada and facing a CFL team would be completely blown out.

I love how my point is so silly yet USC alone places more players in the NFL than the entire CFL in one season lol

Come on dude... Maybe you should take a peek at a CFL roster before making generalizations like that... Here's a couple to get ya started...

http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/index/team/7/sort/last

http://www.stampeders.com/team/player_roster/

Big lads. Not too many 6 ft and under...

I was actually trying to comment about the differences between the 2 leagues and that the Canadian game puts a premium on speed... Smaller guys can excel if they are fast and athletic, moreso than in the NFL.

You watch College ball? Not the NFL but still worthwhile... Me... I'm a football fan as well as a Phins fan.. I can apreciate the other games without it threatening my enjoyment of the NFL or my manhood... :lol:

The CFL is a different game and I don't think anyone has EVER said that the talent is on par with the NFL... Don't really know what your point is here... You don't like it..? Don't watch it...

The 6ft and under thing was a joke. Manhood? Panties in a twist over someone making fun of a second tier wanna be game called Football in canada?

Dont watch it then. No one said you had to. Its geared to a certain type of athlete, one who isnt 6'3 205 at wr, or 6'2 235 at rb. The thing that makes me laugh is the amount of busts that come from the so called "big time" programs in College. It happens all the time. So if I follow the reasoning of some, does that mean Div 1 College ball is bush league because these players cant hack it in the NFL? Personally, I think the NFL places too much importance on size and strength, and some teams are starting to get away from that.

To your point about comparing the CFL to double A ball, is College ball not sort of a minor league for the NFL? With a very small percentage of the players u watch actually having careers in the NFL? I prefer the NFL to the CFL and Im Canadian, but Im not foolish enough to think there arent some really good football players down here. On this site, Davone Bess is basically a god already. His College team mate, Ryan Grice Mullen is playing in BC this year, and hes an excellent wr as well. Sometimes it just comes down to getting the right opportunity at the right time to make it in the NFL. I know thats tough for some to grasp on here.

I am/was comparing pro athletes.

All leagues I mentioned are the second tier of their respective sports, one of which isn't around anymore.

As for any comparison of Pro to Student athletes, thats apples and oranges. As is CFL football to the NFL.

The 6ft and under thing was a joke. Manhood? Panties in a twist over someone making fun of a second tier wanna be game called Football in canada?

:lol2:

Come on bro it is ok for you to joke... but not me? Lighten up.

The crux of the post was to get you to actually take a look at the league and some of its rosters before (like many on here) making HUGE broad sweeping generalizations like the one above.

We get it... you think the league is second class and good for nothing... Your perogative. Whether or not we agree with you is not the point...

Self admittedly you don't watch the game, have any interest in watching the game, have done even the minimal amount of research into its history or who is playing and yet still feel the need to criticize it at every turn. This is not debate... it is prejudice against a league you admit to know nothing about but hate anyway. And so be it...

Believe me I am not trying to change your mind... And as I have said a billion times... it does not warrant straight up comparison to the NFL on any level other than they are both called 'football'.

The NFL is the premiere football league on the planet. Period. But by virtue of this it does not also mean that every other league professional or not is garbage...

I would have thought that since there is an interesting experiment happening right now in Miami with Wake, that you would be a little more open minded to analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the league... maybe even ask people who know more about it than you in order to get a good read on the player. This 'level of competition' argument has been disproved over and over and over... In fact in every NFL draft ever held. Move on...

Again... If you want to look at the player, his history including the CFL and be 'realistic' and or negative... go for it but at least do the work first.

I love how my point is so silly yet USC alone places more players in the NFL than the entire CFL in one season lol

Again, your point is completely bogus.

The CFL is not a developmental league for the NFL. It never has been.

The CFL is a league of it's own with real men in their mid to late twenties and thirties.

Most of their rosters consist of players that did play in the NFL AND CFL
developmental league, US college programs.

Very very few College players ever make an NFL roster, a miniscule percentage.

At any given time, even the best college programs are full of young, immature, underdeveloped, mediocre to bad players.

Where as the CFL rosters are full of, again, FULL OF, players that are just a cut below NFL talent, and are mature adults developed to their full potential.

Comparing the talent level of a college team to a CFL team is like comparing a triple A baseball team to the winner of the college title. The triple A team wins every time.

A college football team may have 1 or two really great future NFL players
a few times in it's history,but they usually only play for that team a year or two and , of course the rest of the college teams roster won't even play in the arena league.

There isn't one college team that has ever existed that could go up to Canada and beat a CFL team. No college team has ever had a roster that was anywhere near that complete.

Half of their rosters consist of teenagers! Get real.

Back
Top Bottom