CFL rookie of the year Qwan’tez Stiggers set to visit Dolphins Monday | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CFL rookie of the year Qwan’tez Stiggers set to visit Dolphins Monday

It’s his age.

By league standards he’s a junior coming out of college. He’s gotta go through the draft because he’s 3 years removed from HS graduation.

In theory this would also prevent the top HS players in the country from going to the CFL for a year or two and then entering the draft a year earlier than they should be able to or trying to be free agents earlier than the league allows.

If he were one year older, he would’ve been a FA.

Aren't "Rookie FA's" in effect UDFA's?
Ghost answered it here. Because he played a year in the CFL I figured he should be a rookie FA.

Yea but I think NCAA players have a totally different rule set then players coming from other places.

Russell Wilson had to go through the draft even though he was 24 or so when he was drafted because he played baseball first, like former Ravens first round pick, Hayden Hurst. 15 years ago or so the Eagles drafted a 26 year old former fire fighter turned Boston College OL named Danny Watkins. Eagles took him in the first round, lol.

Not sure if he would've been a FA with one more year of CFL ball.

when you hear 30 visit then you know he's in the draft or else, you'd just hear free agent so and so is visiting the Dolphins

Why not, since there is no contract involved until after they sign one?

After reading up on the matter, here’s the rules: Its not about age, a player does have to be eligible for an NFL draft (or supplemental draft) and go undrafted before they can sign with any team they wish as a free agent. If they end up getting drafted by a team and refuse to sign a contract, they are re-entered in the draft the following season.

Regardless of the players age, the NFL would have a MASSIVE problem with players manipulating where they land if going through an NFL draft wasn’t mandatory.

Are not all Draftees in effect Free Agents who can sign, or not sign, with any team that drafts them??

Well, unlike a true FA that can sign anywhere, your player rights belong to the drafting team unless you are traded or the team relinquished them...which I've rarely if ever seen happen as most teams want some kind of trade compensation.

I mean you can refuse to sign or show up... sign with another league... like he can be drafted here and go back to Canada without playing in the nfl...but if he wants to play in the NFL he's tied to whatever team drafts him...Unless no one uses a pick on him and he becomes an UDFA.

Like his agent can do some shenanigans to end up with someone specific but I've only seen that happen at the top of the draft...most guys don't care they just want to be drafted by anyone.

After reading up on the matter, here’s the rules: Its not about age, a player does have to be eligible for an NFL draft (or supplemental draft) and go undrafted before they can sign with any team they wish as a free agent. If they end up getting drafted by a team and refuse to sign a contract, they are re-entered in the draft the following season.

Regardless of the players age, the NFL would have a MASSIVE problem with players manipulating where they land if going through an NFL draft wasn’t mandatory.

Yeah there's that too but I've rarely ever seen anyone say screw it and re-enter the draft the following year ....I think I heard about it once or twice but I don't know... it wasnt worth really remembering details if it even went through or did i read that was an option for the players....hmmm blah who cares 😂

Yeah there's that too but I've rarely ever seen anyone say screw it and re-enter the draft the following year ....I think I heard about it once or twice but I don't know... it wasnt worth really remembering details if it even went through or did i read that was an option for the players....hmmm blah who cares 😂

Ironically enough, the only player I can remember doing it is when Joe Theisman got drafted by Miami, signed with Toronto instead, then got selected again by the Redskins.

Ironically enough, the only player I can remember doing it is when Joe Theisman got drafted by Miami, signed with Toronto instead, then got selected again by the Redskins.
That’s not what happened with Theismann. Miami still controlled his rights. They traded him to the Redskins for a first round pick in 1974.

Back
Top Bottom