Chance Warmack at 12? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chance Warmack at 12?

Doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme. Doubt we take him if he is there.

Have a read my friend

It explains the "zone blocking scheme" that is run in Alabama

It’s one of the blocking schemes that Alabama’s celebrated offensive line has mastered.
It’s nothing new in football, but it’s something the Crimson Tide has turned into an art form.
“That’s the bread and butter there,” said William Vlachos, who started three years (2009-11) at center for the Crimson Tide.
But what is it?

It starts with determining who is covered and who is uncovered. That is, which offensive linemen are lined up nose to nose with a defensive player.
No, it starts with the center as the maestro, identifying the middle linebacker.
Wait. “Proper footwork,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “It starts with that.”

When it is carried out well from there, it’s something to behold. Just ask Georgia’s defense. Alabama ran inside zone running plays repeatedly in the SEC Championship Game, and 350 rushing yards later, the Crimson Tide was off and running to another BCS Championship Game.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/01/inside_zone_the_inside_story_a.html

too many people on finheaven proclaiming that guys who are big don't fit a zone blockign scheme... slimm broke it down great...

there really is IMO, no better OG for a ZBS than chance warmack. it's hard to dispute that IMO...

guys are going to have to start realizing that theres a lot of talent on the OL in the first round, whereas there is probably 1-2 guys from a WR standpoint in play at 12... lane johnson, chance warmack and eric fisher are guys you will want to get acclimated with, they are certainly in play at 12 IMO... moreso than a WR IMHO...

I think a lot of people will be surprised when the 12th overall pick is more than likely not a WR.

too many people on finheaven proclaiming that guys who are big don't fit a zone blockign scheme... slimm broke it down great...

there really is IMO, no better OG for a ZBS than chance warmack. it's hard to dispute that IMO...

guys are going to have to start realizing that theres a lot of talent on the OL in the first round, whereas there is probably 1-2 guys from a WR standpoint in play at 12... lane johnson, chance warmack and eric fisher are guys you will want to get acclimated with, they are certainly in play at 12 IMO... moreso than a WR IMHO...

I think a lot of people will be surprised when the 12th overall pick is more than likely not a WR.

I think Cooper makes a pretty strong case. Different players. Warmack is the better overall player, but Cooper is quicker. Cooper isn't small, and Warmack isn't slow, but I still believe Cooper is a better fit and has more upside - given what we're doing.

I agree that Warmack could play in a zone scheme in the NFL and currently plays in one at Bama. My point was, if we go back to a power running game ala Ricky/Ronnie, then Warmack is the top choice hands down....no one even comes close. The next closest guy would probably be Warford from Kentucky, but he lacks the movement skills that Warmack possesses.

But in the zone scheme you can be just as successful with smaller, more athletic guys. In this case Cooper is more than capable. Could Warmack play in the scheme? Sure. Is he a better OG than Cooper? No question. But why spend a #12 overall pick on an OG when this team has so many holes, when you can trade down and select another capable guard and get an additional pick? We needs bodies. One thing Cooper is better at than Warmack are cut blocks. He's very quick and explodes through his cut blocks. He doesn't have Warmack's anchor but does mirror just a tad better in pass blocking from the little tape i watched. Warmack uses his brute strength and reaches more at times. It's nitpicking but you have to do it when looking for weaknesses for elite guys like Warmack. Everything else Warmack is better at. He's a top 10 talent at a non-top 10 position.

While we have a huge need at WR, our need at guard and RT is just as big. My point is, we wouldn't be ignoring a need by drafting a guard by any means. John Jerry is no better than adequate and Incognito needs to be cut w/ his outrageous salary.

I think Cooper makes a pretty strong case. Different players. Warmack is the better overall player, but Cooper is quicker. Cooper isn't small, and Warmack isn't slow, but I still believe Cooper is a better fit and has more upside - given what we're doing.

I can agree with you to an extent, but I think we could debate that for awhile... regardless... cooper probably isnt in play at 12 whereas, warmack is... or at least is moreso than cooper IMO...

i did a lot of mocks with cooper to us in the 2nd, and that has gone by the wayside, I dont think he gets out of the late first, so theres a good chance we don't get either one, without a trade down. Of all the years I've wanted to trade down, this is the year. I like a raw prospect like patterson better at 18 than I do at 12, I like a warmack or cooper better at 18 than I do at 12...

that's why I keep going back to a defensive end or a corner at 12... only thing I can really get behind value wise.

While we have a huge need at WR, our need at guard and RT is just as big. My point is, we wouldn't be ignoring a need by drafting a guard by any means. John Jerry is no better than adequate and Incognito needs to be cut w/ his outrageous salary.

I get that, but attempting to upgrade 2 positions with a guy who's still a stud like Cooper is better to me.

Cooper + OT (David Bakhtiari, Menelik Watson)
Cooper + OG (Kyle Long) if you want to double up and let go of Incognito making the interior of the OLine EXTREMELY athletic
Cooper + CB (pick your favorite)
Cooper + WR (Stedman Bailey, Robert Woods)

Doesn't that look better than just Warmack? I get it, Warmack is great! And if we had less holes on this roster, i'd say go for it. But Cooper is also really good, so if i can get 2 really good potential starters instead of just 1 starting guard, i'm going to go for it.

i did a lot of mocks with cooper to us in the 2nd, and that has gone by the wayside, I dont think he gets out of the late first, so theres a good chance we don't get either one, without a trade down. Of all the years I've wanted to trade down, this is the year.

Good call on Cooper. I'd think it would be a longshot for him to get past the Colts. The Bears may be on him too, since their line is so awful. Many fans here in Chicago really want Eifert at 20 to round out the playmaking part of the Bears offense. Add Eifert to Cutler, Marshall, Jeffery, and Forte and that's formidable.

It's too early for me to figure whether I'm with you on a trade down. It's not popular around these parts, but my current view is that I see the real value in this draft between 20 and 60. I'd be all for leveraging that part of the draft. But, who knows Cordarelle may rise up the charts with a bullet if he tests exceptionally well.

Back
Top Bottom