Charles Clay v Jovorskie Lane at FB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Clay v Jovorskie Lane at FB

The third down single back formation is kind of what I was thinking when I referenced Lonnie Pryor. You know he can catch and protect the QB.

I like him as a guy that can be a backup to Miller and carry the ball a few times as well. Funny thing is most draft "experts" have him being picked in the 5-7 round area.

Lane doesn't even run people over anymore. I remember seeing him get hit pretty hard by Cromartie. ****in Cromartie.

Clay will get the majority of playing time whether its as a Fb/TE he fits the athletic build of a pass catcher that we are basing our offense towards but I don't think we are completely done with the traditional running style so there is still a spot for lane especially with inexperienced runningback a like we have, a blocking Fb could prove critical to their success.

Why not keep both on the roster, Clay as a H-back/#2 TE behind Keller and Lane as our FB. We can have Clay move around and play TE/H-back like he has in the past.

Yes they are. Highly unlikely that you carry both on the roster if we add another TE via the draft, or if Egnew steps up. Either way Clay becomes a FB, which is probably the position he's best suited for. And anyways, forget the position. The debate is who would you rather have in the game on 3rd and 4, Clay or Lane. I'm going with Clay.

No, they do not play the same position. Clay played most of his snaps at TE, while playing some at H-back. Lane is a FB, who did not play all that well. The roster spot is not connected.

Both are "good" pass catchers. Clay is more athletic, faster, more of a matchup issue for opposing defenses. Lane is a better blocker and gets tough yardage and we all love his ability to bowl people over. Lane will benefit from a full offseason of conditioning. Clay will benefit from a more open field thanks to Wallace and Keller.
From what I understand, if Daniel Thomas, Lamar Miller, and Jonas Gray are our running backs, it's highly unlikely that we carry 2 FB's on the game day roster (assuming that we pick up a TE, making Clay a h-back/fb, as Clay and Keller at TE would be a blocking liability).

i KNOW no one wants Madden being thrown into a discussion, but for purposes of experimentation (lol) i've tried both, and have had more success with Clay. He frequently sneaks out of the backfield uncovered. With Clay, the defense would have to account for the FB on every play. An offensive lineup of Wallace Hartline Bess Keller Clay Miller amounts to alot of pressure on the defense...and if Tannehill is given the green light to scramble more, this could make our offense very difficult to stop.

Thoughts?
Lane didn't bowl anyone over after preseason.

His stat line from ESPN is 13 rushes for 13 yards with one fumble in 16 games. His long run was 4 yards. That means that the other 12 times his average run was LESS than one yard. He is big but his running doesn't reflect his size.

I don't have a breakdown of how many times he didn't get tough yards for us last year but I remember watching him and wondering how someone so big could go down so easily last year. I think we could do a LOT better than Lane.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12510/jorvorskie-lane

I think Clay was one of the first players mentioned when Philbin took the job. He definitely has a skillset they love.
And he really came on near the end of last year. I think he has got a lot of potential and he is probably one of the most underrated Dolphins going forward imho.
Damn, we got a quite a few weapons now lol, who would of thought we would be sitting this pretty Before the draft.

I find Lane to be wildly over-rated. Average blocker, mediocre pass catcher. Can put the ball on the ground. He's "just a guy."

I would not be shocked if Miami drafts the Harvard FB on day 3.

Back
Top Bottom