Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Clay VS. Dion Sims as Starting TE

We have to keep the faith that this will be our new starter. Put Sims in a place to succeed rather than setting him up for failure.

Not sure we can set him up for failure unless he is getting bad coaching. There is playing time available. If he is good he will most likely play. There was a great chance for Egnew last year and he couldnt even get active, not the fault of coaches .

I would go with Sims. He's bigger, a better blocker, has good(better?) hands and is not that much slower. He just seems like a more natural TE

Not sure we can set him up for failure unless he is getting bad coaching. There is playing time available. If he is good he will most likely play. There was a great chance for Egnew last year and he couldnt even get active, not the fault of coaches .
I am not sold on Sherman as the OC.

Sims, in my opinion, should see the field a lot more in this coming game. The coaching staff will want to see a live-game scenario to evaluate him further. If both of them show very little, I wouldn't be surprise to see the front office try to make a trade for a starting caliber TE.

this

One more chance for Clay then i'd hit the waver wire or make a trade. Jeff overspent for good talent in free agency and i think he'll do it again if necessary.
A decent seam threat would do wonders for the offense. Keller was that guy. Go get a replacement if no one steps up.

We will get a better feel for Sherman after this season for sure. If the O doesnt produce as it should then he will be gone. I think he did just ok.

I would think we would really only want to use clay in the backfield or as a slot receiver, unfortunately for him Gibson and in all likelihood Rodriguez are superior players

View attachment 11261

Attachments

• NFL-Daily-june-27-a.png
    NFL-Daily-june-27-a.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 57
I was sold when we hired him seemed to be a good hire. After year one Im on the fence, there were some very unimpressive things he did with our offense at times.

I too question if shermans is a good NFL playcaller..

Here's that photo of Clay, Egnew, and Sims on the sideline https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/370565078669873152/photo/1

I dont think the coaches are as down about Clay as most of us were after the Tampa game.That one deep pass over the middle was well defended and the DB got his hand in there and broke it up.Clay was playing a new role and I'm sure the coaches knew that.

The problem with Clay taking the starting TE means Clay needs to learn Kellers role and Rodriguez needs to learn Clays role.They have designed plays for Clay and I'm sure he knows them pretty good by now.

Best thing we can hope is Clay goes back to his role at FB and either Egnew or Sims grab Kellers spot.I say it's time for Egnew to get thown to the wolves.Sims looks good but there's no excuse why Egnew cant handle the job while Sims learns the playbook inside and out.

Clay will make plays just like the ones last year that deep TD down the right sideline not counting a half a dozen more but as a FB.If Rodriguez beats out Clay which he very well may so be it.I'm thinking Egnew and Sims both share Kellers #1 role by the season start.

Clay shouldnt be counted on for anything except to drop the ball.I think the fish could get better production from a street FA. He has bad hands,no field awareness and isnt much of a blocker. Hes not going to scare anyone. Roll with the rookie Sims and see what they have.

This is where busting on a third round TE, and neglecting the position for several years, is going to bite this team in the ass. I like Sims, but the ideal situation was to bring him in as a second/third TE for blocking, and slowly work him into more of the offense to see if he has starting potential.

That said, here we are. No one really thinks Clay is a starting tight end. I don't remember at any point seeing a vocal contingent saying Clay should start over Fasano, and we all know Fasano was decent, not great. So give Sims all that he can handle in terms of playing time. Egnew should see some snaps if his receiving skills have progressed enough with the pads on to make up for his blocking. If he's not good enough to see the field ahead of a mid-round rookie and a scrubby H-Back, cut him.

This is where busting on a third round TE, and neglecting the position for several years, is going to bite this team in the ass. I like Sims, but the ideal situation was to bring him in as a second/third TE for blocking, and slowly work him into more of the offense to see if he has starting potential.

That said, here we are. No one really thinks Clay is a starting tight end. I don't remember at any point seeing a vocal contingent saying Clay should start over Fasano, and we all know Fasano was decent, not great. So give Sims all that he can handle in terms of playing time. Egnew should see some snaps if his receiving skills have progressed enough with the pads on to make up for his blocking. If he's not good enough to see the field ahead of a mid-round rookie and a scrubby H-Back, cut him.

Well clearly as it relates to this year we did not neglect the position. We had our starting TE..

Although Clay isn't even a good backup

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom