Chase Young with 1st pick | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chase Young with 1st pick

Chase Young is a little different type of player than Nick Bosa. He doesn't have Nick's 1st step or bend

It's funny. A lot of other evaluators I read rave about Chase's 1st step, quickness, hand technique and bend. Not everyone see the same things, apparently.

I'm by no means an expert. But I've been watching college and pro football since the 70's. I've coached youth and HS kids of varying abilities. I've been watching Chase Young all 3 seasons he's been at tOSU. I don't see the same concerns you and CK see. I see a very talented and dominant player. I'm far from the only one.

I said the same things to my 49er friends about Bosa when they drafted him. Many of them were skeptical. They aren't anymore.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. Chase Young might not be as impactful a player as either Bosa. He might be the next pass rushing bust. IDK.

I just think it's funny how knowledgeable evaluators can see things so very differently. That's all.

Last edited:
he beats those tight ends (except for Josiah Deguara). But still, they're tight ends.

Lol. Had to comment on this one because of the player name you brought up.

It's still odd for me see Deguara as a TE, even though I know he clearly is now. I saw that kid play for many years, as he played youth ball and attended a HS in the area I reside.

It just goes to show how much these kids can develop after HS. Deguara was a 6-2 195 pound wide receiver at Folsom HS that went from catching 114 passes and 24 TD's his Senior year to a 6-4 240 pound TE blocking the likes of Heisman hopeful Chase Young 5 years later. Who knew.

FWIW, Deguara played on the same Folsom team as Bengals 2019 1st round pick Jonah Williams and the Vikings undrafted QB Jake Browning.

There's no way Young is better than the Bosa brothers.

That’s a ridiculous statement to say “there’s no way” he’s better.

Also for people that have bad memories. Nick wasn’t supposed to be nearly as good as Joey. Now Chase isn’t supposed to be as good as either.

Yet Nick actually looks every bit the player that Joey is, and Chase, who obviously isn’t in the nfl yet, looks better than either of them at OSU.

It's funny. A lot of other evaluators I read rave about Chase's 1st step, quickness, hand technique and bend. Not everyone see the same things, apparently.

I'm by no means an expert. But I've been watching college and pro football since the 70's. I've coached youth and HS kids of varying abilities. I've been watching Chase Young all 3 seasons he's been at tOSU. I don't see the same concerns you and CK see. I see a very talented and dominant player. I'm far from the only one.

I said the same things to my 49er friends about Bosa when they drafted him. Many of them were skeptical. They aren't anymore.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. Chase Young might not be as impactful a player as either Bosa. He might be the next pass rushing bust. IDK.

I just think it's funny how knowledgeable evaluators can see things so very differently. That's all.

Well I'm not really going to argue it either. Not when exactly what I said is on film - all you have to do is watch it.

You can rave about somebody's first step and it still not be as good as Nick Bosa's. So you haven't really convinced me that anybody sees it differently.

It's still odd for me see Deguara as a TE, even though I know he clearly is now. I saw that kid play for many years, as he played youth ball and attended a HS in the area I reside.

It just goes to show how much these kids can develop after HS. Deguara was a 6-2 195 pound wide receiver at Folsom HS that went from catching 114 passes and 24 TD's his Senior year to a 6-4 240 pound TE blocking the likes of Heisman hopeful Chase Young 5 years later. Who knew.

FWIW, Deguara played on the same Folsom team as Bengals 2019 1st round pick Jonah Williams and the Vikings undrafted QB Jake Browning.

Yeah I already brought this up about a month ago too.

That’s a ridiculous statement to say “there’s no way” he’s better.

Also for people that have bad memories. Nick wasn’t supposed to be nearly as good as Joey. Now Chase isn’t supposed to be as good as either.

Yet Nick actually looks every bit the player that Joey is, and Chase, who obviously isn’t in the nfl yet, looks better than either of them at OSU.
Well, you can have your opinion and I'll have mine. I'm not saying young is a bad player and I'm not cry if he was on our team but I believe the Bosa brothers are better. Having said that, it doesn't really matter as we should draft a QB with our top pick and by the time we draft again Young will be gone.

He's come a long way. I'm not kidding, you check the Chase Young vs Cincinnati tape and you'll see some choice instances of Deguara blocking up on Young and he did really well.

If there was a QB worth taking over Young I would definitely do it, but IMO there is not.

After watching a crap ton of games I just don't see as much of a sure thing in this years QBs as in Young.

So.. take Young and with 1b pick take the best QB or trade up for one. You might as well get one sure thing as to waste that high pick on a gamble and lose out.

This is only my opinion and if the front office feels different I will support the team as I have done since '73.. :cheers:

He's come a long way. I'm not kidding, you check the Chase Young vs Cincinnati tape and you'll see some choice instances of Deguara blocking up on Young and he did really well.
Are you saying this to say that it never happened to the Bosas, and never will?

If nick and chase are head to head as draft prospects I’m taking nick every time.

if Nick was in this class he’d be higher on my board off last years grade. I saw nick play in only like 3 games and by far be the best player on the field in all of them last year. The year prior during the bowl season he was the best player I saw through that whole process too as a sophomore even.

nicks hand use is more consistent his bend is better and he flattens to the qb (not as straight linish)

Well I'm not really going to argue it either. Not when exactly what I said is on film - all you have to do is watch it.

You can rave about somebody's first step and it still not be as good as Nick Bosa's. So you haven't really convinced me that anybody sees it differently.

I know better than to try to convince you of anything. It seems clear to me that once you’ve made up your mind about something, you’re pretty immovable. Understandably so.

Besides, I’m not necessarily trying to argue that he does or doesn’t have a better first step or bend. Nick might I need be a tad faster or better in those regards. Doesn’t matter.

I suppose my argument is more that Chase is better than you guys are giving him credit for. The first step and bend that you guys are criticizing him over aren’t necessarily concerns every knowledgeable evaluator has about him. Hence why I said not everyone sees it the same way.

I have seen every game he’s played. I‘ve seen him do many of the things some are saying they haven’t seen him do. But I’m by no means a vetted talent expert. I’m wrong all the time. But I’ve been right enough to be confident when I believe I see a guy that can play.

There are a lot of evaluators that firmly believe he’s the best prospect in this draft. There are some evaluators that believe he might be as good or better than either Bosa. You don’t agree. Neither does CK. I don’t know that I’m sold either way about that, but I do believe it is possible.

I do really like Chase Young as a prospect. And believe he is likely to develop into an impactful player. I will be quote ok if he ends up in a Dolphins uniform. However, if I was the GM that owned the top selection, I’d still take Tua Tagovailoa #1.

I'm very malleable when it comes to evaluating these kids. My opinion changes throughout the season on a massive number of prospects based on what I'm seeing - or even what somebody else helps me see.

All I'm saying is it's hard to argue traits. Traits are traits. Stiff hipped guys are stiff hipped guys - whether they have a good game or bad game. Weak armed guys are weak armed guys whether they have a good game or bad game. RB's who don't understand how to press the hole or have poor vision are what they are - whether they have a good game or bad game. So on and so forth. The traits don't change no matter what the box score reads or what the stats say.

I like Chase Young as a prospect also - and I've also seen every single snap he's ever played. Along with every single snap many others have played. It's just something that gets said a lot by folks who like to watch their team play and think it strengthens their position. But it actually weakens it, and is part of the problem. I watch all these guys play.

The reality is, nobody knows how good any of these guys are going to be. Not me or you or NFL scouts or Chris Grier or John Lynch or Jerry Jones or twitter scouts posting mock drafts for clicks.

All I know is what I know - which is Chase Young doesn't have Nick Bosa's first step or ability to drop his shoulder to reduce surface area, align his hips with the pocket, and flatten to the quarterback. That doesn't mean he won't be a good player. It means he can't do what Nick Bosa does.

I'm very malleable when it comes to evaluating these kids. My opinion changes throughout the season on a massive number of prospects based on what I'm seeing - or even what somebody else helps me see.

All I'm saying is it's hard to argue traits. Traits are traits. Stiff hipped guys are stiff hipped guys - whether they have a good game or bad game. Weak armed guys are weak armed guys whether they have a good game or bad game. RB's who don't understand how to press the hole or have poor vision are what they are - whether they have a good game or bad game. So on and so forth. The traits don't change no matter what the box score reads or what the stats say.

I like Chase Young as a prospect also - and I've also seen every single snap he's ever played. Along with every single snap many others have played. It's just something that gets said a lot by folks who like to watch their team play and think it strengthens their position. But it actually weakens it, and is part of the problem. I watch all these guys play.

The reality is, nobody knows how good any of these guys are going to be. Not me or you or NFL scouts or Chris Grier or John Lynch or Jerry Jones or twitter scouts posting mock drafts for clicks.

All I know is what I know - which is Chase Young doesn't have Nick Bosa's first step or ability to drop his shoulder to reduce surface area, align his hips with the pocket, and flatten to the quarterback. That doesn't mean he won't be a good player. It means he can't do what Nick Bosa does.

Bravo sir! Take a bow!

A post that every fan following the team should read!

Beyond that -- the key to draft success is having a boat load of picks!

:woot:

While I agree with your main point about CY2, my memory is different than yours on Nick and Joey.

When Nick was being recruited by tOSU and eventually committed, there was a lot of talk about him potentially developing into a better player. Joey was even quoted back then as saying his younger brother was better than him.

Im not suggesting everyone felt that way, but it wasn‘t a totally unpopular belief.

Nick never matched his brothers production in college, for various reasons, and it is still debatable which is the better player.

On your first point, I watch a lot of these players too. Not just those on the teams I happen to prefer. Over the years of reading this forum, I’m confident that I don‘t see and review as much as you or CK. No argument from me there. I spend more time watching and reviewing HS kids, so I can’t invest the same amount of time as you guys do with all the college kids. That said, my position on Chase Young isn’t weakened. I’ve seen him play since his DeMatha days. I just don‘t 100% agree with your or CK’s analysis. Only partially agree.

I couldn’t agree more with your 2nd point. I always appreciate knowledgeable evaluators that have the wisdom to understand that they don’t know everything. Nobody does, nobody ever will. Experts often disagree and are wrong all the time. Scouting and recruiting are and always have been inexact sciences.

To your 3rd point, my only response is, we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom