Cheap WR? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cheap WR?

It didn’t help that we don’t have a pass catching TE either. Fins were only team in NFL without a TD pass to a TE in 2023.
That would certainly help down in the red zone... but I'll still say this. Some of that was just lack of attempting these passes. It seemed like we'd throw a pass or two to Smythe on our first drive almost every week... and then just stop trying them. It was weird.

I think we expected more out of Saubert and Kroft during training camp... and then, J. Hill just looked better.

I expect us to bring in a better FA TE this year. They are cheap and fairly plentiful.

That would certainly help down in the red zone... but I'll still say this. Some of that was just lack of attempting these passes. It seemed like we'd throw a pass or two to Smythe on our first drive almost every week... and then just stop trying them. It was weird.

I think we expected more out of Saubert and Kroft during training camp... and then, J. Hill just looked better.

I expect us to bring in a better FA TE this year. They are cheap and fairly plentiful.
Agree 100%. Especially about Smythe. He isn't Kittle or Kelce, but we should have fed him a lot more. Are there any sleepers in late rounds in the draft that look good to you? Spann-Ford perhaps out of Minnesota?

The UFA WR market is EXTREMELY fat with talent this offseason and I fully expect Miami to take advantage of that by hopefully signing a difference maker that might normally be more expensive when the market is thinner.

I like some of the names already mentioned but I’m keeping an eye on Calvin Ridley. I think that dude can be had without over extending ourselves and throwing him out there with Tyreke and Waddle would make a DC’s job damn near impossible.

Agree 100%. Especially about Smythe. He isn't Kittle or Kelce, but we should have fed him a lot more. Are there any sleepers in late rounds in the draft that look good to you? Spann-Ford perhaps out of Minnesota?

I'm a big fan of Spann-Ford, I mentioned him as an alternative to Washington early last year, but then he decided to return to college.
He's a blocking TE though, like Washington, I don't expect him to blossom into a pass catcher. Just a good TE2.

Honestly, I think Hill has a chance to be that guy. He's big enough to block (listed at 251 before the draft last year at 6'3") and he knocked Connor and Higgins off the team last year. He's a relentless blocker and TEs usually take a year or two to blossom. The team REALLY liked him and I'm hoping they were right.

I know that TE is a trendy choice, but with only 5 picks, I think we might pass this year and just go with Smythe, Hill, and a cheap vet (maybe Hooper). Oh, I think we'll take a long look at what's available, but I can't see a reach... more of a... we thought this guy would go in the 3rd and wow, he's still here in the 6th.

But as always... I'm wrong a lot.

Last year when everyone was saying that we'd go line, I said that we'd wait a year and see what we had in Jackson and Eichenberg... and that we'd go Tackle in the first next (this) year, so I figure I got that one right... so this year I'll miss badly. Lol.

I'm a big fan of Spann-Ford, I mentioned him as an alternative to Washington early last year, but then he decided to return to college.
He's a blocking TE though, like Washington, I don't expect him to blossom into a pass catcher. Just a good TE2.

Honestly, I think Hill has a chance to be that guy. He's big enough to block (listed at 251 before the draft last year at 6'3") and he knocked Connor and Higgins off the team last year. He's a relentless blocker and TEs usually take a year or two to blossom. The team REALLY liked him and I'm hoping they were right.

I know that TE is a trendy choice, but with only 5 picks, I think we might pass this year and just go with Smythe, Hill, and a cheap vet (maybe Hooper). Oh, I think we'll take a long look at what's available, but I can't see a reach... more of a... we thought this guy would go in the 3rd and wow, he's still here in the 6th.

Last year when everyone was saying that we'd go line, I said that we'd wait a year and see what we had in Jackson and Eichenberg... and that we'd go Tackle in the first next (this) year, so I figure I got that one right... so this year I'll miss badly. Lol.
We MUST go heavy on OL in the draft. It's our top need AND its the most talented OL draft in recent memory. I'm desperately hoping for 2 OL draftees who can start within 2 seasons (hopefully 1 as a rookie). The only other positions that might tempt me in round 1 would be the X receiver from LSU or the Michigan QB (not as a replacement for Tua but to battle it out as an instant number2). This draft and our FA situation along with the CAP issue create the most fascinating off season in years!

We MUST go heavy on OL in the draft. It's our top need AND its the most talented OL draft in recent memory. I'm desperately hoping for 2 OL draftees who can start within 2 seasons (hopefully 1 as a rookie). The only other positions that might tempt me in round 1 would be the X receiver from LSU or the Michigan QB (not as a replacement for Tua but to battle it out as an instant number2). This draft and our FA situation along with the CAP issue create the most fascinating off season in years!
I think we could see a possible Edge in the first or LB (or Edge) in the second... but I won't predict either. There might just be a guy they really like to replace Baker or AVG (and cover for the injured players).
I still would like to see us take a RB in the third if we can trade down... but that too is a bit of a longshot.

I absolutely love this take on Hill! Spend our 5 draft picks on O-lineman, pass rushers and a DB, take advantage of the fat WR market and add a clear upgrade at WR3, and at TE, work in incorporating Hill into the passing game more while also increasing Smythe’s targets.

You said it yourself but for every Sam Laporta that hits the ground running, there’s 10 other TE’s that are gonna take at least a full season before they get off the ground. I’ve seen the same traits in Hill that you’re seeing and I think he could turn into a valuable receiving threat.

either WR #3 or a pass catching TE......we need a 3rd option in the passing game.....many people thought that Ced Wilson would do great as the #3WR and he actually had some good moments but he just wasn’t used enough .....way too many targets for Hill/Waddle.....I get it, you must run your offense through your best two playmakers but there needs to be another reliable option

There doesn’t have to be, but it would be a super nice luxury.

I’d like to see the 3rd option be something completely different than our two super speedy, quick yet smallish play makers.

I’ve been advocating for finding a way to select TE Brock Bowers in the upcoming draft. Doing so would not only add a capable blocker, but also a dynamic receiving threat who is 6-4 and over 240 pounds. Potentially a nice compliment to Waddle and Hill.

I’d really advocate for Mike Evans — as he’d be a perfect high point playmaking receiver with size that this team could really use except I don’t see how they afford him.

What wrong w wr on team. Wilson is good if u throw ball to him.

Noah Brown and Kendrick Bourne of the UFA's.

Juan Jennings of the RFA's.
I could see Brown or Bourne. These are players that are more realistic with regard to price (maybe 5 Mil) then others that have been mentioned on here.

When the Dolphins dip into the FA wide receiver market, I would think they would not spend more than 5 mil on a 3rd WR, as they will have limited cap space and many holes to fill.

Posters have brought up the names of Ridley and Davis, those guys will be out of the Dolphins price range at more than 10 mil per year, it’s not realistic. Even guys like Reynolds’s and Osborne might be too expensive @ 7 or 8 mil a year.

I also don’t see them upgrading the TE position either, maybe a Hooper signing for 1.5 mil a year but can’t see them investing major resources via the draft or FA for Wr or TE with so many other major needs i.e. OL, DL, ILB, CB & S and so few resources i.e. draft capital and $.

"what the Hell coach! Why did you call another fade route on third and goal??? That never works!!!"
I looked into some history on that during the season and found fades are amongst the worst calls to make near the goal line. Even the renowned Brady to Gronk hookup was "only" about 50% (iirc) and they far and away blew away the average NFL success rate.

While we simply can't toss the play completely out, we did/do not have the personnel (as you stated) to run it as often as we did.

I expect to see a few new wrinkles in goal line situations, even if it is running the ball in even more ;)

Why would any good WR come be the distant 3rd option in Miami?

Berrios and Wilson only had 29 and 22 catches last year. Wilson definitely decreased his next contract value due to utilization and arguably Berrios since Tyreek and Waddle suck all the targets.
Thats the point is all we have are distant 3rd options at WR. When teams design game plans to take away Hill and Waddle, we need somebody else to step up and make teams pay for that design. Currently we don't have that ability.

Another thing to consider is that both Hill and Waddle seem to get injured often so we need better depth.

I could see Brown or Bourne. These are players that are more realistic with regard to price (maybe 5 Mil) then others that have been mentioned on here.

When the Dolphins dip into the FA wide receiver market, I would think they would not spend more than 5 mil on a 3rd WR, as they will have limited cap space and many holes to fill.

Posters have brought up the names of Ridley and Davis, those guys will be out of the Dolphins price range at more than 10 mil per year, it’s not realistic. Even guys like Reynolds’s and Osborne might be too expensive @ 7 or 8 mil a year.

I also don’t see them upgrading the TE position either, maybe a Hooper signing for 1.5 mil a year but can’t see them investing major resources via the draft or FA for Wr or TE with so many other major needs i.e. OL, DL, ILB, CB & S and so few resources i.e. draft capital and $.

TE is just as big of a need as any of those that aren't on the OL.

Back
Top Bottom