CK on NFL Network tonite 6pm | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CK on NFL Network tonite 6pm

Burmeister said there is documented evidence of Mallett's drug use.

All I can find is some random anon GM said @&#$@%@$. Where is the documentation ? Was the supposed admission the only documentation ? Was it on film ?

That's what I'm left with after that "Who the f#*& do you think you are ?" ambush job.

Admitted to smoking pot once, likes to trip acid, has a coke problem ? Drug use could mean anything. If it's documented it should be a specific accusation IMO. Especially if there was something to it.

Documented by anon accusation ? Really ?

If not where exactly is the "beef" ?

After watching the interview, I was shocked at just how much of an *** the NFL network guy was. Mind you, most of the guys on there have no idea what they are talking about, but he was being more than usually asinine. Good job CK, must have been hard not to yell at the guy, and tell him to shut the hell up, or produce his sources.

Nice job CK.

What I didn't get was when CK said the GM's and scouts had no reason to be forthcoming or truthful with their findings, and Burmeister's response was "to the media, yah". Implying that he is somehow not in the media so he gets this "off the record" information he refers to. How does a guy hosting a show on NFL network consider himself not a member of the media ?

exactly, what a clueless tool.

apparently, the thought that a GM might use him never occurred to Burmeister. does he think they tell him things because they like and trust him? they probably laugh about how naive and predictable he is.

and then to actually email and ask "what GMs do you have?" just shows his simple-minded approach.

great job CK, hopefully your next interview will be with an actual professional.

What seems to be missing here is Mallett's own admission to teams of drug use during his draft interview process!!! I actually believe that without the power or connections of the NFL it would be almost impossible to find out what NFL teams know about players or prospects!!! I can assure you, that the NFL has ways of doing more in-dept investigating, than the normal person ... While i agree teams will use certain information to their advantage in order to increase their chances of getting a player/prospect that they ordinarily wouldn't have a chance to ... Overall, I thought CK did a great job of holding his own, with the information he and the others were able to uncover, during their investigation of Mallett ... It's unfortunate that NFLN, took the stance of trying to discredit CK through Bermeister!!! but again, there are ways to find out things about people through back channels and other investigation techniques ... techniques perhaps Finheaven Bloggers aren't privileged too!!! I am on the fence about Mallett, and would prefer the Dolphins to skip him in the 1st round ... but lets say in a scenario, that Miami trades down, and was able to grab Mallett in the 2nd round .. I'm all for it!!! too much risk, in round #1; just for a guy, that MAY be a franchise QB

We've turned up things we couldn't go public with just because they're unconfirmed and we don't want to be sued.

But that's the point, isn't it? We're not NFL teams, but neither is Paul Burmeister. They talk to NFL teams, and they THINK they're telling them the truth...but how do you know? Buddy Nix says that you can only believe 10% of what you hear from teams this time of year because there's this very broad, general acceptance that they're going to lie. I believe that a team can be truthful and untruthful at the same time. If they tell a media member that Ryan Mallett admitted drug use in their interview with him, you can PROBABLY believe that. But when that same team comes back and says "we wouldn't draft him at any point"...that's where your BS alarm has to start ringing. They may give you some of the facts, but they're not giving you the context. They're not giving you a clear idea of how they view these negatives.

I truly believe you are right that there's no way we can do a FULL investigation, uncovering the hidden, tiny nuggets of toxicity in Ryan Mallett's history...unless you employ the security experts that the NFL does to uncover these things. What we tried to do with our independent study was take a look at the broad history and say ok, wait a second...let's even go as far as to pretend there definitely are tiny nuggets of toxicity in Mallett's history that are not out there for public consumption...why are we so damned focusing on rummaging through his life to the micro level searching for those nuggets, to the point where we're ignoring ALL THIS positive stuff we find along the way? And in the mean time the fact of the matter is there is a LOT of false information being passed around about Ryan Mallett. Go on CBS Sportsline's profile of him by Rob Rang and you'll see that Ryan Mallett was never a team captain and this is a red flag. It would be, except it's flat untrue and anyone that's watched him come out to the coin flip during a game over the last two years would know this. This is a guy that was voted a team captain in 2009 having never taken a snap of Arkansas football, and it was even before Bobby Petrino had settled on him as a starter yet, he was still sharing 1st team reps with Tyler Wilson. But the team knew who their leader was and voted him a leader. That had never happened before in Arkansas school history. Yet outside of the huddle, outside of the Broyles Athletic Center, he's not a leader. People that have never been in a huddle with him will tell you he's not a leader. People that have never worked out with him will swear he's not a hard worker. The people that were in the huddle and in the Broyles Athletic Center swear he is a leader and a hard worker.

We tried to help people build a context for how you should view Ryan Mallett's character and his history. Yeah, there's dirt under his fingernails, and some of it is coming out now. But everyone ONLY wants to talk about that, and frenzy over it, searching for those tiny morsels of negativity, ignoring the heaps of positivity.

And again, thank you guys for the support. I guarantee far more than half of Burmeister's questionable lines of interrogation were cut out of the final product. I'm surprised there's such a wave of negativity because the final product seemed relatively whitewashed, to me...I guarantee if you saw the WHOLE THING...you'd be even more upset with Burmeister.

And again, thank you guys for the support. I guarantee far more than half of Burmeister's questionable lines of interrogation were cut out of the final product. I'm surprised there's such a wave of negativity because the final product seemed relatively whitewashed, to me...I guarantee if you saw the WHOLE THING...you'd be even more upset with Burmeister.

I don't suppose you recorded the rest of the interview somewhere? I'd love to hear it, and then email NFL network about getting some new talking heads.

I have to admit before watching this segment on Path to the draft, I always had a pretty high endorsment for Burmeister.But I will say that after watching Burmeister disrespecting a guy that actually took the time to do the research it took to even debate a controversial player like Mallet that I came away with a different view of him.To me it would have been alot better if the interview with Ck would have been hosted by the likes of Charles Davis who atleast after the segment was over mentioned another controvesial player in Marino that worked out pretty well.Great job keeping your composier CK, and thanks for the effort that it took to actually come away with a little clearer view of what we may have in a guy like Ryan Mallet , If the Dolphins do indeed make the pick.

Well done CK - I havent seen it yet - But folk on here are singing your praises. Hope this is the start for great things to come for you, Richard and Boomer!

Wow dude, Nice!!

I remember just a couple years ago you asking Wayne if he'd hire you. And then afterward you thought maybe that wasn't a good idea with beer on your breath. Now look at you!! Awesome man. Congrats! I'll be watching for you for sure.

Peace,

PrO

Be it ESPN who continually chooses to ignore credible denials by The Panthers, Fox News, MSNBC, Michael Silver the big Yahoo, or most any media pen, keyboard or talking head, it's been clear to me for many years that they approach each interview with a preset agenda, prepare their questions thusly and edit to meet their own prejudgements or that of their editorial boards or ownership's. And don't get me started on the disgrace that's CNBC, including Jim Cramer. Modern media is an abortion even the old adage: "don't believe anything that you hear and only half of what you see" today has become too conservative a piece of advice. Screw em all.

I don't suppose you recorded the rest of the interview somewhere? I'd love to hear it, and then email NFL network about getting some new talking heads.

Nah, it's property of NFL Network. They're sending me a DVD after the Draft but it's likely to be a DVD of the final product, not the whole interview.

Wow dude, Nice!!

I remember just a couple years ago you asking Wayne if he'd hire you. And then afterward you though maybe that wasn't a good idea with beer on your breath. Now look at you!! Awesome man. Congrats! I'll be watching for sure.

Peace,

PrO

LOL. I still have that autographed t-shirt. :)

Be it ESPN who continually chooses to ignore credible denials by The Panthers, Fox News, MSNBC, Michael Silver the big Yahoo, or most any media pen, keyboard or talking head, it's been clear to me for many years that they approach each interview with a preset agenda, prepare their questions thusly and edit to meet their own prejudgements or that of their editorial boards or ownership's. And don't get me started on the disgrace that's CNBC, including Jim Cramer. Modern media is an abortion even the old adage: "don't believe anything that you hear and only half of what you see" today has become too conservative a piece of advice. Screw em all.

Now that's a rant.

I don't want to be too harsh on Paul Burmeister. He obviously feels very passionate about THIS subject for some reason. Part of me wonders if he was really trying to sabotage the interview, because he thought it was a waste of their time. But if not, he just obviously cares a LOT about Ryan Mallett and was trying to run with whatever angle he could to discredit us for speaking positively about Mallett. He felt like he was in a position of authority, and if I had GMs and scouts constantly whispering in my ear, I might feel the same. It takes a pretty cynical person to step back and be like but what if these guys, these friends, these acquaintances...are lying to me?

I don't believe him when he says he just "wanted to cover both sides of the story". I don't think his aggressiveness during the interview or the ways he tried to discredit my opinion several times during the interview really support that. It was way more than just covering both sides, he was trying to discredit me and discredit the article. I just think he went off leash about a subject he obviously really cares about for some reason, and doesn't like hearing from some dweeb at UniversalDraft.com that all his inside word from these GMs and scouts could be tainted. I'm sure that's where he was coming from on it.

I don't want to judge the guy based on one blip on the radar though because generally he HAS been a good host and that's why it was so surprising to see him conduct the interview the way he did with me. It just is what it is, he got a burr in his saddle about this one and I was the unfortunate guy standing in the way. I'd still like to meet the guy, I'd like to shake his hand and tell him I like the work he's done. And then I'd tell him if he tries to talk down to me like that on camera again, I'll break his legs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say I was very impressed with the way you conducted yourself ck, and disapointed with Burmeister whom I have never had a problem with before; proffesional versus pompous. As everyone else would, I would love to see the full interview and if you ever get your hands on it be sure to share it with all of us. From the begining of the segment it was obvious his questions were tailored to his agenda and not at providing a informative interview about a controversial player. What should of been a conversation about Mallet was unfortunately turned into a pissing match by Burmeister. The conclusion I drew from the man was that clearly he must be incredibly gullible to believe GM's and NFL personel would entrust a host of a NFL television show with their true feelings and thoughts of a player; as well as also fairly dense to believe that he could divulge this "off the record" information that he has been entrusted with on national television and continue to be in the loop.

I must say that I have been a Mallet fan for a while and your article on him only further cemented that. Seems like fate that the dolphins first franchise qb since Marino will be one that slips to us because of similar unsubstantiated drug rumours. The amount of college students, both athletes and non, who indulge in recreational drug use is astronomical, and if Mallet did in fact admit his past drug use to GMs I view that as a sign of maturity from the young man. A coke head or someone with an addiction problem would not be quick to offer up that information, however a young man realizing that that stage of his life is over and is moving on would.

p.s. Loved the comeback on Burmeister at the end of the segment: "This off the record information is finding it's way on the air...on your show." Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom