Cole: Ode to Wayne Huizenga | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cole: Ode to Wayne Huizenga

Everyone has their opinion but I think Wayne has been a great owner. The guy is a big fan like the rest of us and wants to win more than we can even imagine. When all is said and done, the Fins are always competitive and Fins home games are a lot of fun. The stadium is a great place to go. Yes, we all want a championship but a lot has to happen right to win it all. We'll get another one soon...

I also think he's a great owner. He lets his football guys do their jobs. Jimmy always loved that about him (then again Jimmy was a dictator :lol: ). Wayne is taking more heat this year because he's become more visible and vocal. People always wished he would speak up. Now that he has, everyone is saying "Shut up!!". :lol:

Still, I think he has the team's best interest at heart. And I like the fact that he seems to be taking a hardline with signing bonuses. While I want Wale signed to a fair contract, it's the principle of the matter that I'm impressed with (Wayne's stance).

Finally, I wish simple-minded fans wouldn't boo him every time he's introduced. He got us a championship ('97 Marlins) and lost about $30 million IIRC. You should be thanking him. Dolphin fans (and Zach Thomas) always say, "I'd rather win a championship and suck for 10 years than never win one at all". Well, which is it?? I guess everybody needs a villain, hypocritical or not.

Hey, the current Marlins regime is having to do the same thing (bye bye Pudge, Derrick Lee). Only difference is that these Marlins have far more young talent still playing on lower-end contracts. But they've made the commitment to winning and hopefully will get a stadium of their own.

Yeah, look at Modell, he was not a football guy and he stuck his nose in constantly. They never won anything until he hired a coach and FO people and let them do their jobs w/o him looking over their shoulder. Lets see how this change does before we lynch. Remember whether the moves pan out or not, we did focus on the offense primarily for the first time in how long? That is a huge change in and of itself.

I think Wayne is a great owner. He might be the bigges fan of all the owners in the leauge. I love his approach to Wale. It takes balls to take all the critisim but still stand for what u believe in(in this case not givin Wale the ridiculous bonus).

Wayne's a good owner. The Dolphins always put out a good product. Most people don't realize it, but very few teams have won as consistently as Miami.

I think he made a mistake keeping Wanny, but there are not exactly a large pool of great coaches to choose from either.

I think he made a mistake keeping Wanny, but there are not exactly a large pool of great coaches to choose from either.
I agree, but hey no ones perfect. Atleast he made a step in the right dirrection by demoting him. I was kind of hoping for Jim Fassel to be our new coach. Hes a great QB coach and a great head coach in generall. Thje only thing alot of ppl dont like about him is hes not a very harsh coach and ppl think players can run over him..I dont think the Fins woulda had a prob wit tht.

FinFan24 said:
I agree, but hey no ones perfect. Atleast he made a step in the right dirrection by demoting him. I was kind of hoping for Jim Fassel to be our new coach. Hes a great QB coach and a great head coach in generall. Thje only thing alot of ppl dont like about him is hes not a very harsh coach and ppl think players can run over him..I dont think the Fins woulda had a prob wit tht.

I'm not sure that Fassel would have been a great improvement, that Giants team always seemed out of control to me. I think Fassel makes a great offensive coordinator though. We could use a bit of original thinking on offense.

Personally, I would have liked Coughlin. But, that's just a feeling I have.

Muck said:
I also think he's a great owner. He lets his football guys do their jobs. Jimmy always loved that about him (then again Jimmy was a dictator :lol: ). Wayne is taking more heat this year because he's become more visible and vocal. People always wished he would speak up. Now that he has, everyone is saying "Shut up!!". :lol:

Still, I think he has the team's best interest at heart. And I like the fact that he seems to be taking a hardline with signing bonuses. While I want Wale signed to a fair contract, it's the principle of the matter that I'm impressed with (Wayne's stance).

Finally, I wish simple-minded fans wouldn't boo him every time he's introduced. He got us a championship ('97 Marlins) and lost about $30 million IIRC. You should be thanking him. Dolphin fans (and Zach Thomas) always say, "I'd rather win a championship and suck for 10 years than never win one at all". Well, which is it?? I guess everybody needs a villain, hypocritical or not.

Hey, the current Marlins regime is having to do the same thing (bye bye Pudge, Derrick Lee). Only difference is that these Marlins have far more young talent still playing on lower-end contracts. But they've made the commitment to winning and hopefully will get a stadium of their own.

The thing about the Marlins now is that they made Pudge a decent offer but it just wasn't good enough.

I don't think Wayne is a good owner. I think he makes bad decisions (keeping Wanny, hiring Marino) and says stupid things to the media (blaming the season on Mare for missing a field goal against the Pats in October, saying Feeley is the next Marino). I wonder what Wayne would do if we won a Super Bowl. Would he break up the team (which is a lot harder to do in football due to the salary cap and the cap hits caused when trading players with big bonuses) and not try to improve or would he continue to spend.

If I was a Marlins fan, I would hate Wayne more. I can't see how anyone could possibly like the guy after he did what he did to that franchise. I know the team was losing money, but he pretty much quit on the team after they won it all.

I know it's hard to sympathize with owners but I'm sure it's not an easy thing to do. Wayne has done alright for the Phins. Though we haven't made it deep into the playoffs, each season year in year out is meaningful right until the end....unlike most other teams

iceblizzard69 said:
If I was a Marlins fan, I would hate Wayne more. I can't see how anyone could possibly like the guy after he did what he did to that franchise.

You mean when he bought us a championship??

I know the team was losing money, but he pretty much quit on the team after they won it all.

What was he supposed to do?? Keep losing money?? A business in that state isn't exactly the most attractive commodity to prospective buyers. This is the problem I have with fans who criticize Wayne about the Marlins. They offer no further explanation (no offense to you ice......just a general statement). It's as if we never won the first championship. And from what I understand, John Henry is the one who ran them completely into the ground.

Muck said:
You mean when he bought us a championship??

What was he supposed to do?? Keep losing money??

What he said.......

Then-team owner Wayne Huizenga was misleading the public about the franchise's finances.THe truth is that he probably didn't lose much back in '97 if any.

I hate Wayne as the former Baseball owner but he does a good job with the fins.

Back
Top Bottom