Cole: Ode to Wayne Huizenga | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cole: Ode to Wayne Huizenga

I'm not sure that Fassel would have been a great improvement, that Giants team always seemed out of control to me. I think Fassel makes a great offensive coordinator though. We could use a bit of original thinking on offense.

Personally, I would have liked Coughlin. But, that's just a feeling I have.

The Giants did seem out of controll. I was just going under the assumption the Fins wouldnt have tht problem. They seem like a team with alot of repect and i dont think theyd take advantage of an EZ coach...just my thinking.

rickeyrunsover said:
Yeah, look at Modell, he was not a football guy and he stuck his nose in constantly. They never won anything until he hired a coach and FO people and let them do their jobs w/o him looking over their shoulder. Lets see how this change does before we lynch. Remember whether the moves pan out or not, we did focus on the offense primarily for the first time in how long? That is a huge change in and of itself.

Very very good point about us concentrating on offense this year. It has been a long time.

PhinKev said:
I'm not sure that Fassel would have been a great improvement, that Giants team always seemed out of control to me. I think Fassel makes a great offensive coordinator though. We could use a bit of original thinking on offense.

I was thinking the same thing before he got hired as a consultant for the Ravens, he would have been a nice breath of fresh air for Miami's stale offense. I don't know what everyone's opinion is, but I didn't like Norv Turner's offense. I thought his offensive system did not suit the Dolphins well and it really pissed me off when he refused to change the game plan at when it clearly wasn't working. Hopefully Foerster works out.

MarksBrothers85 said:
I was thinking the same thing before he got hired as a consultant for the Ravens, he would have been a nice breath of fresh air for Miami's stale offense. I don't know what everyone's opinion is, but I didn't like Norv Turner's offense. I thought his offensive system did not suit the Dolphins well and it really pissed me off when he refused to change the game plan at when it clearly wasn't working. Hopefully Foerster works out.

I tend to agree. I always thought the sign of a great coach was playing to the players strengths. Turner wanted to stick with an offense based on power running and long strikes with the passing game.

But, we had a crap oline and a qb with no deep touch even on the rare occasions he had the time to look long. Yet, we stuck with it as if there was no other way to game plan.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the new hire which is a TE coach with no experience or reputation for imaginative thinking.

Fassel is a good offensive mind as is the Giants new coach.

Huizenga is alright. To be honest, I was always enamored with the ownership that Robbie had (most of all, getting us out of the Orange Bowl) and was reluctant to have anyone else at the top of the team. But objectively, he's been a good owner.

One thing I think we don't appreciate is that he doesn't meddle. He knows it's not his area... so he just lets other people deal with it.

I think Wayne is a good owner. He will become great IMO when he names the stadium Joe Robbie Stadium. He can even say whoever pays/Joe Robbie stadium.

FinFan24 said:
I was kind of hoping for Jim Fassel to be our new coach. Hes a great QB coach and a great head coach in generall. Thje only thing alot of ppl dont like about him is hes not a very harsh coach and ppl think players can run over him..I dont think the Fins woulda had a prob wit tht.

As soon as Fassel took the playcalling away from his OC it was over for him as a head coach. Until he can hire people and trust their judgement I don't think he'll ever be a good head coach.

The franchise has thrived both on and off the field by just about every standard under Huizenga's direction. It has also become more accessible to its core market (witness the 26th-ranked average ticket price). The thing that struck me most was a line or two close to the end of the article:

He (Huizenga) then finalized the idea to bring in Marino to be his football eyes and ears.

It was different, but there was logic behind it. Marino quit when he realized the job would be too demanding (emphasis mine).

The writer states as fact the idea that Marino quit simply because of the workload. Not a power a struggle. Not discontentment with the franchise's direction. It was simply a workload issue.

Can we please put the conspiracy theories to bed now?

kasaba13 said:
Everyone has their opinion but I think Wayne has been a great owner. The guy is a big fan like the rest of us and wants to win more than we can even imagine. When all is said and done, the Fins are always competitive and Fins home games are a lot of fun. The stadium is a great place to go. Yes, we all want a championship but a lot has to happen right to win it all. We'll get another one soon...
He's a fan yes, but by his own admission he doesn't know football, he should stick to hiring the business side of the game and let a top GM hire and fire head coaches, hiring Wannstedt was one of the worst moves an owner has made. Too hand over total control in 2000 to a man who proved quite well in Chicago he was bad at personnel decisions was irresponsible to the fan base.

No one was beating down Daves door in 2000 and GM authority did not have to be offered.

Wayne never bothered to even look at other possible candidates, I'm not even sure he bothered to inform himself about the debacle in Chicago.

I give Wayne credit for certain aspects of his ownership abilities but criticism is certainly warranted as he does seem committed to mediocrity, meaning all he is concerned about is the bottomline in dollars.

BlueFin said:
He's a fan yes, but by his own admission he doesn't know football, he should stick to hiring the business side of the game and let a top GM hire and fire head coaches, hiring Wannstedt was one of the worst moves an owner has made.

You DO realize that Wanny was brought in by JJ to be his replacement don't you? So basically, he did exactly what you are suggesting, he let JJ make that decision.

Overall, I think Wayne has been a good owner. He has his faults, just like everyone else, but it could be much, MUCH worse.

calmlikeabomb said:
You DO realize that Wanny was brought in by JJ to be his replacement don't you? So basically, he did exactly what you are suggesting, he let JJ make that decision.

Overall, I think Wayne has been a good owner. He has his faults, just like everyone else, but it could be much, MUCH worse.
That should have been Waynes first clue, that Yimmie wanted his best friend to succeed him, after Daves horrific 6 years in Chicago, I hardly think that qualifies as letting a GM hire and fire the head coaches............nepotism at its finest.

BlueFin said:
...He should stick to hiring the business side of the game and let a top GM hire and fire head coaches, hiring Wannstedt was one of the worst moves an owner has made...
BlueFin said:
That should have been Waynes first clue, that Yimmie wanted his best friend to succeed him, after Daves horrific 6 years in Chicago, I hardly think that qualifies as letting a GM hire and fire the head coaches............nepotism at its finest.
How does that hardly qualify? By all accounts, at the time JJ was considered a top GM/Coach, no questions asked. Look at his history in Dallas, it's a no-brainer. Also, at the time, DW was the DC of one of the most succesful young defenses in the NFL. It had nothing to do with DW being "his best friend" - JJ laid the foundation of the team on the defense; who better to lead the team than the former leader of the defense?

At the time, DW was considered a top HC choice. Alas, we tend to suffer from short and selective memory... I'm not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but c'mon... First you argue Wayne didn't let a top GM hire a HC. Then when faced with evidence he did, you say that hardly qualifies... :shakeno:

sbh1602 said:
How does that hardly qualify? By all accounts, at the time JJ was considered a top GM/Coach, no questions asked. Look at his history in Dallas, it's a no-brainer. Also, at the time, DW was the DC of one of the most succesful young defenses in the NFL. It had nothing to do with DW being "his best friend" - JJ laid the foundation of the team on the defense; who better to lead the team than the former leader of the defense?

At the time, DW was considered a top HC choice. Alas, we tend to suffer from short and selective memory... I'm not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but c'mon... First you argue Wayne didn't let a top GM hire a HC. Then when faced with evidence he did, you say that hardly qualifies... :shakeno:
First of all, if you don't think Jimmie and Dave being best friends had everything to do with him being brought here your nuts.

Second, Dave was not the Defensive coordinator here, he was asst. head coach too his buddy Jimmie because no one else wanted Wannstedt.

Ultimately Wayne did in fact hire Wannstedt at Jimmies recomendation, and with Dave's history it should have never happened at a franchise of this caliber, you cannot say with any credibility that the hiring of Dave Wannstedt was an objective, non-biased hiring, the man destroyed the Bears.

sbh1602 said:
At the time, DW was considered a top HC choice. Alas, we tend to suffer from short and selective memory
Speaking of bad memories, that was before he destroyed the Bears that he was a top choice, after no one was interested in him as a head man.

Back
Top Bottom