College football rankings for week 6 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

College football rankings for week 6

The midsection of the SEC is absolute mush this year. I remember posting that about a month ago, when someone suggested it was too strenuous to go unbeaten in the SEC. That may have been true when the conference was 3-6 deep but this year it's only 2, and that has been obvious all year. The rest of the teams are either laughably imbalanced due to personnel deficiencies, and/or going through identity crisis, trying to move to more physical, like Tennessee, or less physical, like Auburn.

Right now the SEC's reputation is far beyond reality. It's laughable that Mississippi and LSU ever reached #4 in the nation, given the true level of those teams.

In the old days I didn't mind the teams that scheduled nothing but patsies in non conference. They were subject to subjective scrutiny and the terrific bowl tie in system allowed multiple possibilities toward the national champ, dominoes tumbling everywhere on New Year's Day. But this era has convinced me we need a playoff. There is no way one bowl game should be isolated as the only outlet for the eventual champion, not when so few legit hurdles are faced en route to that game. Florida's schedule this year is basically a few games, and that applies to others like Penn State also.

BTW, it's nonsense to denounce the Pac 10. That conference has tons of athletes, and that shows up in every head to head long term evaluation. Hardly a surprise that UCLA, even in a down period, swept Tennessee last year and this year, home and road. I can't count how many times I've won major bets backing the Pac 10 as underdogs in non conference. The teams in that conference often give up big points so that brands the conference as softer than it really is. The SEC would have hell if it faced the Pac 10 every year in a series of games among equally rated teams.

I believe Vanderbilt was runner up to Army yesterday.

The midsection of the SEC is absolute mush this year. I remember posting that about a month ago, when someone suggested it was too strenuous to go unbeaten in the SEC. That may have been true when the conference was 3-6 deep but this year it's only 2, and that has been obvious all year. The rest of the teams are either laughably imbalanced due to personnel deficiencies, and/or going through identity crisis, trying to move to more physical, like Tennessee, or less physical, like Auburn.

Right now the SEC's reputation is far beyond reality. It's laughable that Mississippi and LSU ever reached #4 in the nation, given the true level of those teams.

In the old days I didn't mind the teams that scheduled nothing but patsies in non conference. They were subject to subjective scrutiny and the terrific bowl tie in system allowed multiple possibilities toward the national champ, dominoes tumbling everywhere on New Year's Day. But this era has convinced me we need a playoff. There is no way one bowl game should be isolated as the only outlet for the eventual champion, not when so few legit hurdles are faced en route to that game. Florida's schedule this year is basically a few games, and that applies to others like Penn State also.

BTW, it's nonsense to denounce the Pac 10. That conference has tons of athletes, and that shows up in every head to head long term evaluation. Hardly a surprise that UCLA, even in a down period, swept Tennessee last year and this year, home and road. I can't count how many times I've won major bets backing the Pac 10 as underdogs in non conference. The teams in that conference often give up big points so that brands the conference as softer than it really is. The SEC would have hell if it faced the Pac 10 every year in a series of games among equally rated teams.

I would put Bama up against USC,Cal or Oregon...anytime.
Most NFL scouts will tell you the differance is in the defensive lines in the
SEC.

Be that as it may,their only losses have been to other SEC teams.

Awsi, I liked ole miss yesterday, but I'm with you on the rest of that conference. I think LSU is terribly overrated, and the rest of the conference below them is what it is. Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn....not what they used to be.

Gives me an idea for a new thread......

again with the schedule talk. fine - once in 20 years we have a 'softer' than usual schedule and all of a sudden we're not worthy. it's not our fault that the usually great SEC teams are not up to snuff this year. i also hate the fact that we do have mickey mouse non conference games - i'd much rather play ole miss and miami rather than lame *** charleston southern and troy - but there's not a damn thing i can do about it. it pretty much forces us to go undefeated b/c of the schedule - so i don't like it any more then you guys may. florida typically has one of the toughest schedules in the country - just not this year.

underestimating a 2-4 FSU team? really? okay.

LSU wasn't crazy overrated this year - they just don't have a QB. their D is great as usual - and they have lots of weapons on offense like lafell and tolliver - they just don't have anyone to get the ball to them.

totally agree there needs to be a playoff system. someone gets screwed every single year. thankfully, it wasn't us last year.

If LSU played FSU's schedule, they'd very, very likely have the same record. That's a good team, whether you want to believe it or not.

This argument is the same verbatim each year.

"Oregon or Oregon State isn't the same team later in the season that Boise State demolished earlier"- This is a pathetic argument. Oregon saw the Boise State game as the most important on their schedule. They circled the date after they lost last year. Masoli said that they were going to bring it to Boise; Blount said that they owed Boise an asswhoopin'. There is no way they were unprepared: they were simply outclassed.

"Boise snuck past Oklahoma"- Not only did they not sneak past Oklahoma, they dominated Oklahoma until the fourth quarter. Poor quarterback play let them back in the game, along with a turnover on a punt return.

"Utah beat an uninterested Alabama"- They beat a top five team, period. I am amazed that this argument comes up whenever a non-BCS team beats a top ranked BCS team. It's as if there is no possible way that Utah could have beat Alabama, if only Alabama had showed up--what about all those predictions before the game that 'Bama would smash Utah.

"Boise needs to play BCS teams on the road"- You think they don't try? They signed a home-and-home with Oregon, and won both times! What kind of message do you think that sends to the BCS schools who feel they have a reputation to protect? The truth of the matter is, BCS schools DON'T WANT TO PLAY BOISE STATE.

Next season, Boise State plays Virginia Tech at FedEx field in October. Maybe if Boise wins, everyone will say that Virginia Tech was uninterested, or not the same team as when they play BCS teams, amirite? I'm waiting for this excuse.

Boise St. is a scary team to play any year. Trust me SEC schools are starting to take notice. The SEC is trying to keep its rep.

It takes two to tango. Hopefully schools start believing the Boise State is overrated and try to schedule them as much as Boise State tries. Believe it or not, the Athletic Director of Boise State has given up trying to schedule home-and-home meetings because schools flat-out refuse to go to Boise.

So it's one sided now, Boise IS looking to schedule away games with bigger programs (hence the Virginia Tech game) even though no school would like to return the favor.

Same problem USF has with Florida. They will only play us at their home and every 5 years.

Take Alabama for example..Bryant-Denny is a 102,000 seat stadium.
Boise st's stadium holds,what 32,000 maybe.
Where's the money at for Alabama to give Boise St. a home and home
series?What I'm saying is Boise State is going to have give up home game
revenue and go on the road to play the big boys.The big boys will not
go out of conferance to that small a stadium.
It's not about thinking Boise State is overrated or that they are scared to
play Boise...it's Money.

So explain why Florida wont play USF at home??? we play in Raymond James Stadium we could fit 75K in that stadium.

So explain why Florida wont play USF at home??? we play in Raymond James Stadium we could fit 75K in that stadium.
That one I can't...probably because of recruiting.
Bama nor Auburn will not schedule Troy,just because of if they were to slip up it could hurt recruiting instate.
I really don't have a good answer.

Awsi, I liked ole miss yesterday, but I'm with you on the rest of that conference. I think LSU is terribly overrated, and the rest of the conference below them is what it is. Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn....not what they used to be.

Gives me an idea for a new thread......

Kp...
I will agree with you on this statement..
Several SEC teams have dissapointed me this year.
But I disagree about FSU..they are one of the worst defensive teams
I've seen this year.
And Mickey is a Alabama boy from Ozark..I don't understand what
their problem is.]
LSU has a idiot for a head coach.

Back
Top Bottom