Comcast "NFL Ticket?" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comcast "NFL Ticket?"

calmlikeabomb said:
I believe the new deal that DirecTV has with the NFL was just negotiated before last season. There should be another 4 years on the deal.

I heard rumors of Sunday Ticket going to cable, so I waited until they resolved the new contract before switching to DirecTV. Since switching I am VERY glad I did. Not only because of the Sunday Ticket, but also because Comcast BLOWS!!! They are expensive, their customer support is crappy and they ALWAYS offer fewer channels than satelite and other cable companies. I'm certain that if they were awarded the Sunday Ticket package they would figure out SOME way to screw it up.

Plus, DirecTV knows that they would see a MASS EXODUS of customers if they lost Sunday Ticket to cable. So I'm sure they will also do whatever it takes to make sure it stays with them.

Im with you on that. I think Comcast blows too. Unlike some of the other states, Delaware has one cable provider (Comcast) and the price is sky high. That's why there are so many DirecTv customers in my state, of course Sunday Ticket had a lot to do with it too :evil: . But if Comcast wins that bidding war, it will be a complete monoply (price) where I live. I hope DirecTV keeps it's rights to the NFL.

Superself said:
Wow, that really blows for comcast subscribers! I didn't know it was that bad!
What is the incentive to stay with them unless your house location prevents you from getting satellite?

Superself...I just realized how my post might have sounded. With Comcast you do get The Discovery Channel, TLC, Nickelodeon, The Disney Channel...but only the basics. With DirecTV you get like 4 extra Discovery Channels, Nick East, West& Nick Toons, Disney East, West & Disney Movie Channel, plus the others that I mentioned (the ESPNs, Trio, Fuse).

I think the only thing that Comcast has over DirecTV is that you can rent a HiDef receiver if you have an HDTV. With DTV, you have to buy the receiver at like $300. That's the only thing that I can think of that has DTV beat.

The contract is good through 2007 boys so cable owners forget about it.

http://www.kagan.com/archive/kagan/2002/12/11/20021211directv.shtml

Wednesday, December 11, 2002
DIRECTV and NFL Extend Sunday Ticket Pact

"DIRECTV and the NFL Dec. 11 extended and expanded their exclusive contract for coverage of out-of-market NFL games. We believe the contract is worth $1 bil. to $2 bil.
The new agreement is exclusive vis-à-vis EchoStar and any other DBS service through 2007â€â€the year before all national TV contracts expireâ€â€and exclusive against all multichannel video services through 2005.
In addition, plans call for the launch of a full-time, year-round, NFL channel that will also be exclusive to DIRECTV as well as interactive and HDTV features for NFL games.
The NFL Channelâ€â€100% owned by the NFLâ€â€will be part of DIRECTV's basic package and available to cable operators as well, starting next year.
The 24-hour service will include NFL archives and new differentiated programming, but no live games through 2005 while current ABC, ESPN, CBS and Fox agreements are in effect.
HDTV, multi-camera angles, overlay statistics and fantasy games will be among the interactive features eventually incorporated into the service, starting with HDTV next season.
Different packages, such as individual team season tickets or pay-per-view games are possible, but for the time being, the Sunday Ticket format will remain as is, said DIRECTV's Eddy Hartenstein.
Commr. Paul Tagliabue said there had been talks with the cable industryâ€â€iN Demand as well as the largest cable MSOs individuallyâ€â€for nine months and that the NFL Channel has been in the works for two years."

jaxdolfan said:
I hate the exclusive contract. I have it, and the whole satellite hookup just for Sunday Ticket...and Comcast cable. :yell: I am a victim of monopolies!

I Love Monopoly- Best Board game Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D

Cranx said:
The reason cable companies do not get Sunday Ticket is because they get revenue from local broadcasts. If the service were to be offered they would lose most of that revenue since they would only receive royalty fees from Sunday Ticket.

False!

Directv is piping Damon's commercials into every game!!!

That's the only one I can remember simply because it was so many. BTW, we don't even have a local Damon's :lol:

I live in VA, and had comcast until I had enough seeing my squad play 4-5 times a year. Get the dish bro, u wont regret it.

Back
Top Bottom